Welcome to Gaia! ::

My mother has had problem with doctors in general until recently. She has a genetic disorder and it affect her bones, plus her muscle anatomy in her legs are not where they should be. She has no knee cap in her right leg and NO degree of movement in foot due to a plate fusing of her bones.

she broke three of her toes while she was at work has a teacher. She started getting shooting pains in her foot that would not go away, even after the bones healed.
after over 6 months of going form doctor to doctor, and them trying to fix the broken bone issue, we finally got the problem solved.

Turns out, her nerves had reset themselves and were registering pain when there was not supposed to be pain. It was called.Complex Nerve Pain Syndrome.

She finally got a doctor to agree that chopping off her leg above the knee would be the best course of action, so that is happening in late May.

Girl

From reading most of these stories in this thread, thank god we have internet. If I could, I'd research symptoms that I have just in case. So many shitty doctors, they make everyone else look bad.

Thirteenth Seeker

I work at a hospital now, and I have worked at another in a different region in the past. The other one I worked at, I was on the floors alot more than the one I'm at now, and on those floors that aren't ER-related, where the patients tend to come in an stay for a long time...believe it or not... it was usually the same people that were leaving and coming back (usually until we got the notice of expiration in the department..), and I do dearly feel for the people I got the chance to meet and talk to several times, but I always wondered why they would keep coming and coming, always same problems, same complications, it seriously irked me.. I'm aware of the patients need to hold up their end of the bargain, but at the same time, if they aren't being given the most substantial amount of information and guidance and advice to be able to properly and fully govern their situation, then it really comes off like cows that go back to a farm to be milked. :swear:

And also, at that hospital, it seemed like it took an act of congress to get people help whenever they were most in need. I remember having to help patients to do things like move about and get situated in their rooms, and lend an ear to their concerns about their treatment and complaints of nurses who would never come to their aid, or nurse aids who would take their sweet a** time about helping the people- and alot of times, I felt like I were in a mental institution of sorts, listening to several people scream and cry for help into the hallways, and the nurses just sit about like it's the norm, and claim the patient just wants attention/had been seen already/etc., etc... I think that part really has to do with older nurses who regurgitate their insufficient care and practices to the newcomers who digest it and see it as a norm too, and cut themselves off from caring or feeling about the patients who do this. IT's not just. I would ring the neck of any official who could just sit back and relax while my own family member might be calling for help- You NEVER know what could be going on, so what on EARTH makes something like that OK?

Anyway, I'm at another hospital and it's a bit better, sort of (I don't go down patient halls anymore, sooo.)... I find it quite horrific that we still charge the patients who pass for the instruments that had been used in attempt to save their lives. Ohhh, man. It really boggles me, and I have gotten into the habit of praying over the crash carts we send out (that they use on the patients who are coding under cardiac arrest and whatnot) And while alot of the staff seems to be hands on and in control of things, I feel like they generally only do enough to get by.... There's a great grand fog of the "I don't know"s lingering around this new hospital, and it's so uncomfortable, and it makes alot of the processes my department has to go through difficult. They seem to go about it all with no feelings of remorse for whatever actions executed. And the phlebotomist has told me stories of wrong medicines being distributed to the wrong patients (lortabs in the place of tylenols, nurses dismissing it, etc.) - And they have their own names and calls for items, and that makes it a thorn in the a** to talk with them, to try and get them (and ultimately the patient) what they need, without having been familiar with what they call the items in the first place. It feels like you have to be there for 3+ years to catch them in their lingo, and still some of the employees in my department have difficulties deciphering what it is they need.

A frustrating little place indeed. Interesting observations, nonetheless, and I always do what I can, and I do my damndest not to get in the way, whereas there isn't any room to get in any way. In these places, one ******** costs you a job. Atleast, that's what's constantly being shoved into my throat and burned into my eyes. Yo learn to be extremely attentive to detail, lest you catch a case of the "I don't know"s. razz

Fanatical Phantom

I sat in the emergency room once for five hours next to a girl who was having a miscarriage. She was registered right before me and seen by a doctor right before me.

Which means she sat in that emergency room for five hours with no medical care, and the baby was gone by the time the doctors actually got to see and assess her.

That's the problem with free health care in Canada - everyone is equal, so it's a first come first serve basis, rather than a matter of importance. It can be fatal to some.

OG Cutie-Pie

The last time I was in the hospital I had a horrible experience. I'd had a c-section to deliver my youngest baby, and the nurse I got was a useless sack of crap. She kept putting off my pain meds, never changed my catheter, I kept calling the nurses station and they kept saying they'd send her but she always "got busy" and didn't help me.

I had to phone my husband, and have him come to the hospital. By the time he got there, I was bawling in unbelievable pain, soaked in my own pee which had accumulated into a massive puddle on the floor as well.

Once he saw me, he was so pissed, I thought he was going to kill someone. But he kept his cool best he could and forcefully demanded that I get immediate attention. The nurse that finally came in to help me (not the one who had been assigned to me) gasped when she realized what the other nurse had let happen.

It was humiliating, and after a very traumatic surgery already, it really compounded the awfulness of it all.
Jason0690
Next one was when I was suicidal and was told I wasn't "suicidal enough" and was sent home with a prescription for Ativan - when I told them I was going to down my bottle of clonopin.
Wtf.
what the ********, indeed.
that s**t pisses me off.
Nyatti
The last time I was in the hospital I had a horrible experience. I'd had a c-section to deliver my youngest baby, and the nurse I got was a useless sack of crap. She kept putting off my pain meds, never changed my catheter, I kept calling the nurses station and they kept saying they'd send her but she always "got busy" and didn't help me.

I had to phone my husband, and have him come to the hospital. By the time he got there, I was bawling in unbelievable pain, soaked in my own pee which had accumulated into a massive puddle on the floor as well.

Once he saw me, he was so pissed, I thought he was going to kill someone. But he kept his cool best he could and forcefully demanded that I get immediate attention. The nurse that finally came in to help me (not the one who had been assigned to me) gasped when she realized what the other nurse had let happen.

It was humiliating, and after a very traumatic surgery already, it really compounded the awfulness of it all.
that's so awful!! i'm sorry you went through that! uuuughh.
just being processed through the system, eh. horrible.

Sunilu's Prince

Bachelorette

Every time I was hospitalized while growing up, it was like Heaven. I never wanted to leave.
Padawan Brittany
I sat in the emergency room once for five hours next to a girl who was having a miscarriage. She was registered right before me and seen by a doctor right before me.

Which means she sat in that emergency room for five hours with no medical care, and the baby was gone by the time the doctors actually got to see and assess her.

That's the problem with free health care in Canada - everyone is equal, so it's a first come first serve basis, rather than a matter of importance. It can be fatal to some.
i beg to differ with that. the last time i went to the hospital, a few months back, we were processed by the issue severity (i brought in my roomie who tried to chop her finger off and was bleeding all over the place). we were in and out within three hours. mind you, it wasn't particularly busy there that evening.

not to make light of that very sad situation you witnessed, but maybe there were people with serious issues ahead of her too. maybe it was life or death for them. you never know.

i don't think it's an issue of neglect so much as an issue of canada losing so many of its doctors to the states.

Generous Humorist

7,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
s**t happens.

I suppose my favorite is in one of the series of some 20 operations on my cousin due to a botched stomach stapling, they once forgot to attach her intestines to her stomach.

Hallowed Phantom

12,325 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Loiterer 100
  • Partygoer 500
i have one of my own... one hospital in my area killed my grandfather back in 2001. he went in for something simple and he came out in a body bag is what i remember. took him nearly a month to die and several heart attacks later. though the same place saved my ex best friend's father though he can no longer work and is confined to a wheelchair with this wife taking care of his every need with no help from medical staff from what i can recall.

i have something that happened to me a few years ago when i got my wisdom teeth out they give you pain meds right? well they gave me something with hydrocodone or something like that... either way... i couldn't take it lit literally made me vomit. we had to call the doctor to give me a prescription for souped up Tylenol.

also when i was 20 years old i had a massive functional ovarian cyst that really should've been removed right? it sent me to an ER once had me in pain for three to four months of my life, killed my schooling career chances and even to this day nearly 4 years later it still haunts me on my right side. people won't do or can't do anything because for some reason or another. people won't say it's PCOS.. or whatever.. needless to say it's made my quality of life... difficult to move on and i'm often tired a lot due to the pain coming and going and/or just not being able to move because it affects my whole leg with pressure and pain.

THOUGH i do have one great story... i've had TMJ for 10 years and it's getting worse... needless to say i'll probably have to have a partial and/or a full jaw replacement in my life time.... but he's been thinking up ways to prolong the life of my bone even though it's being itched away and hanging on by tendons probably. he's up front, honest and willing to work with me and think of alternatives we can do to slow down and/or stop this from progressing too far since i'm so young. the surgery for tmj aren't always successful and honestly they are worse than the illness themselves... while it will stop me from living with pain... the long term may not be so great.

Fashionable Gekko

11,400 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Trader 100
  • Cart Raider 100
Obviously NOT Levi
I seriously get a real strange vibe while going to hospitals. Unlike others, they scare me a bit.
You know that people have died there so it's really....yeah.

Fanatical Phantom

Petrosoap
Padawan Brittany

i beg to differ with that. the last time i went to the hospital, a few months back, we were processed by the issue severity (i brought in my roomie who tried to chop her finger off and was bleeding all over the place). we were in and out within three hours. mind you, it wasn't particularly busy there that evening.

not to make light of that very sad situation you witnessed, but maybe there were people with serious issues ahead of her too. maybe it was life or death for them. you never know.

i don't think it's an issue of neglect so much as an issue of canada losing so many of its doctors to the states.

No, the hospital in my town specifically does first come, first serve. Unless you're brought in my ambulance, you can be dying for all they care but you have to wait in line.

Liberal Receiver

Nyatti

What in all the ********. Last time I had a catheter, it took about 6 hours to fill it and I was on an IV saline drip.(Gallbladder removal, spent most of my time sleeping.) I can only imagine that she must have ignored you for at least two days.
How in the ********...
My brain has been broken. And i am very sorry that the nurse was an assface.

I'm starting to think this is why my dad either visited me every day or forced one of my siblings to visit every day ._.

Trash Garbage

my story isn't that horrofying in the sense anyone died,
            but more because of the state A&E was left to fall too.
            i had to go because i needed to have my foot x-rayed.
            the nurse apologised to me for the wait i may have to undergo as,
            for all of A&E on that particular day,
            there was only 2 nurses and 1 doctor on duty with the possibility of maybe one more doctor being sent down.

and they wonder why s**t goes so horribly wrong in hospitals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff