Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Poster

Iced Vodka
Sweetrolls
...it only focuses on women's issues."

And for that matter, black rights isn't about equal rights and neither is the whole LGBT thing.
Do you agree or disagree with this, and why?

in my 'feminism' class we were also taught about how masculinity is stereotyped (men have act a certain way in order to be men) and discriminated (feminine men are looked down upon); surprised me, but I think this inclusion means that feminism does not focus entirely on women's issues.

But feminism has gained a bad name over the years because of a lot of .... feminazis. Thats why I do not like to associate myself as a feminist, but an anti-sexist.
You had to take a class to learn that. You seriously have given me the biggest mental laugh I have had in years.
Posties
Iced Vodka
Sweetrolls

And for that matter, black rights isn't about equal rights and neither is the whole LGBT thing.

in my 'feminism' class we were also taught about how masculinity is stereotyped (men have act a certain way in order to be men) and discriminated (feminine men are looked down upon); surprised me, but I think this inclusion means that feminism does not focus entirely on women's issues.

But feminism has gained a bad name over the years because of a lot of .... feminazis. Thats why I do not like to associate myself as a feminist, but an anti-sexist.
You had to take a class to learn that. You seriously have given me the biggest mental laugh I have had in years.

I took the class because I needed it, I couldn't care much about it's contents.

I hope you had a good mental laugh, sounds like you needed it.

Enduring Phantom

I agree, and I find it annoying that some groups attention whore like there's no tomorrow. My prime example is how at school there are lots of people who are getting involved in LGBT stuff and advertising it to every possible person. It's funny though, how I classify as transgender/gender queer and I don't even make a fuss about it. Maybe it's because in my mind, things are only as big of a shitstorm as you make them, and in their mind the bigger fuss you make the better things get.

Same applies across the board for things like feminism and the racial situation. Only as big of a shitstorm as you make them, but the activists think otherwise.

Distinct Poster

Iced Vodka
Posties
Iced Vodka
Sweetrolls

I took the class because I needed it, I couldn't care much about it's contents.

I hope you had a good mental laugh, sounds like you needed it.
I definitively needed a good mental laugh after the inexorable amount of inane subjects and conversations I hear at school everyday, seven hours a day. sad asdwefqt4W3GRQEVGERGERHGHEG345211111

Greedy Receiver

Onigetoe
Like all movements there are extremists. But as a woman, I want to know I was hired because of my skills and not because my looks or that I wasn't hired because of my lack of skills and not because my looks.

I know men feel the same way.

There is still a wage gap as well. Yes some women are paid more then men, but it is mostly men paid more then women for the exact same job..

Not only that but when it comes to rape. The man if he is raped isn't blamed, but when a woman gets raped she was "asking for it"

So yes there are some things that need to be worked out but not all feminists are extremists.

Same can be said about the LGBT and black rights movements.

I hear more of men being ridiculed and called queer/gay for not enjoying free sex or asking if the woman was at least hot and if she was he needs to quit bitching. Even most in the justice system bring up strength and size, that a man could easily overpower a woman and therefore it wasn't rape. Plenty of people yet still don't think men can be raped.

As far as women go, maybe I listen to the different news or read a different paper than you because very rarely do I hear of "she asked for it". The only can think of involved prostitutes and them claiming rape from a client.

Greedy Receiver

ice queen in a dark tower
Dandrogyny
ice queen in a dark tower
Dandrogyny
you would know a lot about this, considering youre a woman and all
Lol, who the ******** are you?
See my signature.
I don't give a ******** what you say b***h.

Ignored.
saying youre a man =/= being a man
if i said i was a kitten would that make me a kitten emotion_kirakira

Let us know how those kitten hormones do after a year or so.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Feminism would only make sense to me if only women were being discriminated against, but both males and females have issues with being discriminated against in today's culture so instead we should be working on both sides instead of just one.

Beloved Sex Symbol

Eisefin
Onigetoe
Like all movements there are extremists. But as a woman, I want to know I was hired because of my skills and not because my looks or that I wasn't hired because of my lack of skills and not because my looks.

I know men feel the same way.

There is still a wage gap as well. Yes some women are paid more then men, but it is mostly men paid more then women for the exact same job..

Not only that but when it comes to rape. The man if he is raped isn't blamed, but when a woman gets raped she was "asking for it"

So yes there are some things that need to be worked out but not all feminists are extremists.

Same can be said about the LGBT and black rights movements.

I hear more of men being ridiculed and called queer/gay for not enjoying free sex or asking if the woman was at least hot and if she was he needs to quit bitching. Even most in the justice system bring up strength and size, that a man could easily overpower a woman and therefore it wasn't rape. Plenty of people yet still don't think men can be raped.

As far as women go, maybe I listen to the different news or read a different paper than you because very rarely do I hear of "she asked for it". The only can think of involved prostitutes and them claiming rape from a client.

One of my friends (female) was walking home from work (she worked at Safeway) in a well lit area at night and was raped. The guy was caught and he was charged, and the first judge (male) said she was asking for it because she was wearing a lace thong and bra, the second judge (female) said she was asking for it by walking alone at night. I see more women prosecuted and sent to jail on a rape charge then men (then again my province had a website saying who male or female was a sex offender and where they were living. Before the government got pissy and told the guy (former cop) to take it down.) don't get me wrong I have seen men go to jail for rape. Have seen the "she was asking for it" too much.
I agree its about women's issues. And im not gonna get wet feet about discussing it because some poeple get so sore on the subject

Its still an interesting debate.

Dapper Conversationalist

I wish people actually understood that modern feminism is about gender, gender politics, and oppression. It's not about helping all women at the expense of all men. It's about understanding the way gender shapes our experiences of the world and of ourselves.
Dandrogyny
I just quoted you 'cos someone else quoted you.
Yes I know that you're bitching about "didn't u ignore meee?" 'cos you're so predictable.
Go ahead. Try to PM me or post in my threads, ignored person.
I hate to play the Devil's Advocate here, but I gotta say that I don't believe that transgenders are the genders that they identify with. Besides the whole "being born a certain gender" thing, you also have to remember that so much of gender identity comes not from how you think of yourself, but how you were raised and how society thinks of you. If you'd like a good debate, send me a PM. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff