Sleep around 0.12 12.0% [ 6 ]
Set plan 0.48 48.0% [ 24 ]
I'm teh p0llwhorez option!1! 0.2 20.0% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
< 1 2 3

Feline Influence
Abstract Nonsense
Kage_no_Taren
I know exactly what I'm going to do, I have since I was 9, and I'm not changing it. Pre med and psychology (double major), then med school, then I'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.

Dude...that sounds kind of brutal, I have no idea what psychology is like, but I've heard that premed takes alot of memorization.

It takes a lot of things. Mostly money.

Really? Where'd you hear that?

I just hate bio. Memorizing things is my bane. biggrin

Edit: Nevermind, I just read what the required course minimums are for all premed majors from the AAMC. I'm sure it may be tougher depending on which school you go to, but it doesn't look that hard.
Abstract Nonsense
Feline Influence
Abstract Nonsense
Kage_no_Taren
I know exactly what I'm going to do, I have since I was 9, and I'm not changing it. Pre med and psychology (double major), then med school, then I'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.

Dude...that sounds kind of brutal, I have no idea what psychology is like, but I've heard that premed takes alot of memorization.

I heard it everywhere.

Think about it; text books for that field generally cost at least $100 USD each (the price rises as you get farther into your course study), lab fees are usually at least $20 USD per lab, add on supplies, tuition, housing (if you live on campus), various university fees...you get a very large amount of money.

It's a lot harder than it looks. I know some people who are premed, and they're always complaining about it.
Feline Influence
Abstract Nonsense
Feline Influence
Abstract Nonsense
Kage_no_Taren

I heard it everywhere.

Think about it; text books for that field generally cost at least $100 USD each (the price rises as you get farther into your course study), lab fees are usually at least $20 USD per lab, add on supplies, tuition, housing (if you live on campus), various university fees...you get a very large amount of money.

That definitely makes sense.
I think it's best to go in with a game plan. I'm in my third year of college ( Criminal Justice), and I'm absolutely happy with what I have chosen as a career path. heart heart
I went in undecided, and I took some general education classes (gen eds) that really didn't have anything to do with my interests. One of them was anthropology, and as the class went on, I realized that this was a fascinating field and that it might be worth looking into.

In addition to that, I took a speech class and got all A's. This led me to the decision to think about professional writing, so this semester I'm taking English Composition. :]

My advice as a freshman about to start the second half of her year is, go in with an open mind and don't have your heart set in stone. You never know what opportunities you'll find. Unless you're absolutely certain of your major, I would try some classes you've never taken before.

Wish me luck guys, I still haven't declared a major but the way is a little clearer now.
I think finding something you would enjoy is most important.
IF you already know what that is then great.
And if you don't sure take some classes to find out.
You don't want to be stuck doing something you hate for the rest of your life and call it a career.
I don't think you should go in with a set plan. I understand that a large number of students change their majors halfway thru college and a large number go to college never knowing just what they want to do with their life.

High school kind of pressures you to already know what career you want and to go for it. However, what you think you may want may not really be what you want to do.

Like, for instance, I went to college for art, and while I do love art, you don't make a living at it unless you are really really good. If I had it to do over again I would have picked real estate. Over the years I found a new love for houses and can find myself turning that into a career instead.

I think what people should do is spend their first two years just getting rid of the basics. Most of college is liberal arts anyway and you have to take so many credits of everything even if it isn't your major. Then, take a few electives that seem interesting to you. A lot of people find out that they really enjoy a subject that they didn't in high school because the material is a lot more compelling than in high school. I think that is a better way to find a more satisfying career.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff