Welcome to Gaia! ::

College:

Dink around 0.2 20.0% [ 10 ]
Sleep around 0.12 12.0% [ 6 ]
Set plan 0.48 48.0% [ 24 ]
I'm teh p0llwhorez option!1! 0.2 20.0% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 50 ]
1 2 3 >

Some of my friends who just started college have been discussing their majors, since they have now begun their second semester. Some of them are happy with their choice, some are not. A few are changing their majors as I type this.

A bit of an argument broke out as to whether or not it is a good idea to dink around in college.

So what do you think LD?

Is college a place where you take a lot of different classes to find out what you want to do for the rest of your life, or should you go in with a set idea of what you're going to do (considering the rising tuition costs)?
Well, I'm a freshman too.. and from what we've been lectured on.. they say it's okay to switch around your majors. You have plenty of time to decide. It's just by the end of your sophomore year/beginning of your junior year, you should kind of know what you're doing.
Your poll's kinda biased since it only allows answers that support going to college.

Honestly. I'm not wasting my precious money and time on that total load of crap called college. Higher learning my butt.

I'm using my skills to get me through life, I'm gonna become a Manga-ka! mrgreen
I have a set plan, but everyone is different.
My cousin changed her major 5 times.
:]
b a b y d o l l
Well, I'm a freshman too.. and from what we've been lectured on.. they say it's okay to switch around your majors. You have plenty of time to decide. It's just by the end of your sophomore year/beginning of your junior year, you should kind of know what you're doing.

That's the way I feel, too.

I'm okay with playing catch-up now, but having to add on a couple extra years of classes...um, no.

@ Ghost of Sladgen: Since this topic focuses on ideas surrounding going to college, it's appropriate for the poll to support going to college.

Also...the options "sleep around" and "poll whore" don't necessarily have anything to do with college.
I went in with a set plan. I guess I got lucky, 'cause so far I love what I'm doing. I'm pretty much set for the next four years.

But I think it's fine to switch around the first year or two of college if you hate your major. I mean, it's better than getting stuck doing something that'll make you miserable the rest of your life. A bit expensive, though. neutral
Ghost of Sladgen
Your poll's kinda biased since it only allows answers that support going to college.

Honestly. I'm not wasting my precious money and time on that total load of crap called college. Higher learning my butt.

I'm using my skills to get me through life, I'm gonna become a Manga-ka! mrgreen

College is a good thing. It's hard work, but it's definitely worth it.
Im so glad you posted this!
Im going to start high school next year and I have been like what the heck am I gonna do when I get to college!! Im gonna enjoy my 4 years still living at home and have fun in high school but I have no idea what im going to do after high school and college ( career wise)

Im already thinking of college because im so unsure of what I want to become. I probably shouldn't be because im only in 8th grade but, its always good to know.
Feline Influence
Some of my friends who just started college have been discussing their majors, since they have now begun their second semester. Some of them are happy with their choice, some are not. A few are changing their majors as I type this.

A bit of an argument broke out as to whether or not it is a good idea to dink around in college.

So what do you think LD?

Is college a place where you take a lot of different classes to find out what you want to do for the rest of your life, or should you go in with a set idea of what you're going to do (considering the rising tuition costs)?

I went in with a set idea, but unfortunately, it's not quite working out. A lot of people change their majors before they graduate. In fact, I know someone that's a senior and is just now figuring out that she doesn't like what she's been studying for all her college career. I'd say that it's probably better to go in kinda knowing what you want to do, at least maybe a general area, then just make room for adjustments, in case they happen.
I think it's a great idea to take a little of everything that might interest you. This way you can find what you're really passionate about. I went into college thinking I wanted to major in psychology but near the end of my sophomore year I changed to sociology, and I'm much happier now. A professor of mine once told me to never plan out your entire life. Plan maybe a year or two in advance. This way you won't be stuck in a dead in job doing something you hate. She has had so many different jobs throughout her career and has loved each and every one.
I know what I have interests in, I just don't know where I want to go. So if I ever decide to go to college, I'll take my core classes and jump around with everything else until I find something that I REALLY want to do.

I think I'd be too lazy to actually keep changing my major after I declared it.
b a b y d o l l
Ghost of Sladgen

College is a good thing. It's hard work, but it's definitely worth it.

Umm... maybe a good thing for you, not for me. And my opinion of college is the only opinion that matters to me. I don't care if you go, or if anybody does, but I care if I do, and I'm not.
I ended up changing my focus from marine biology to game design, at the beginning of my third year in college.

Balance out the freedom to change and what you think you want to do. Most degrees have leeway, so that if you end up switching your major the classes you took will still count towards a total credit hour amount.

Be active in the clubs and events involving your academic focus, as well. They'll help you network, which is absolutely pivotal in today's age. It's actually the best reason to go to college, now - snaking your tendrils out into the world to find out where the open doors are.
I know exactly what I'm going to do, I have since I was 9, and I'm not changing it. Pre med and psychology (double major), then med school, then I'm going to be a pediatric psychiatrist.
My exams aren't finished yet here in Belgium. Our exams are in january, but I'm happy with my choice (informatics)

It's important to have a plan because otherwise you'll end up nowhere. It's important to have dreams, right?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff