Welcome to Gaia! ::

Precious Lover

15,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
Hi, everyone. Sorry if I’m bad at explaining, but I’ll try to keep it short as possible

I’m a part-time general studies transfer student at a community college, trying to get into radiography for the next application (‘15). I’m worried I won’t get in because it’s competitive, limited seats, performance-based (so higher score gets in), and comes only once a year (every February). Right now, I’m trying my best to improve my score as much as I can by improving my GPA for this fall semester.

If I don’t get in the program next year, I have three back-up plans. They both have pros and cons, but which plan is better in your opinion?

1. I can wait for the ‘16 application and get (or try to get) a second part-time job to pay back my current debt from college loans. The only con I can see is if I am going to get in the second time.

2. Get another major/associates or a certificate in community college. Sadly, I don’t have any back-up majors. While going after a certificate (that does not require a degree and just go to workforce), I will not get financial aid, but rather I have to pay for it out-of-pocket (which I can pay for if I save and budget my earnings now)

3. Finish my general studies degree and transfer to a 4 year college. If I take this path, I have to borrow private loans and my time graduating will be postponed since some credits will not transfer. Like I said, I don't have any back-up majors

Other information that I’m not sure is useful:
1. I only want to go to in-state public colleges due to the low amount of Pell Grant I get from financial aid. My state does not give a lot of scholarships.

2. The only sections I can fix to improve my score is my GPA and retaking an aptitude test. I only have two more chances in retaking the aptitude test.

3. After this fall semester, I cannot explore any other classes other than completing my natural science requirement since I’ll have too many credits that my college will cut my financial aid unless I switch my major. However, for interested radiography students, my college requires students to have general studies as the first choice major, followed by radiography.

Edit: Thanks for reading and giving me advice
Well, what is your cumulative GPA and ACT score?

I applied for the xray program in 2010 and graduated in 2012. It was also at a community college. I was talking to the counselor that was in charge of taking applications and she told me that a good GPA and ACT score will get you in, but the interview is what lets you stay.
Also, when I got in, I found out that it took one of my classmates 2 tries to get into the program. If you give it a second chance, they may see your dedication and take you.
They actually rejected one guy that I talked to, even though he was super smart and informed himself about everything xray. (They felt he wasn't very personal in the interview. More like a robot.)

If you don't get in because of your GPA, then retake classes that you have a C or B in. Try to get that A. Retake the ACT if you think it may be too low. Ad then when the application process comes up again, apply.

Fanatical Phantom

The second or third, because if you don't get in this year to the program you want, there's no guarantee you will next year, so simply working while waiting isn't necessarily the best.

After all, working won't make your current classes or grades look better. And at least the second and third both have their merits to increase your chances of getting in academically.

Aged Gaian

Throw your hat into that radiology ring. If you don't get in this time, try again next year.

I don't suggest waiting because life takes many twists and turns and things don't always go as planned.

Think outside the box...or your state. You may want to consider an out of state, or even country school with a sister school here as some countries charge comparatively very little to go to college.

Mostly though, I ask you, are you passionate about radiology? If so, don't sit about waiting and planning to fulfill that passion, but go all out for it--don't hold back. Like you said, that guy was crazy smart and crazy impersonal. Showing your passion for your major at your interview goes a long way!

However, I like to remind all college students (only because I'm a GGGeezer and I've been there and come out the other side) to think about what you want your life to be 5 years AFTER graduation. I don't want to see you floating around the ether of 'Now What?'.

Good Luck, dear.
1. This is like a back up back up. Like if you cant do anything else you do this. It is also a rough choice because you can delay loan repayments with school, so you reallly will need to get on paying them back if you arent going to be in school for a year.

2. Doesnt sound useful to just go to cc again and again when you have 3.

3. Better than 2 because it is college not cc, which on its own makes it a superior choice. Rough money wise, but if you want to keep doing school you do need to have a back up because what if 1 doesnt work? If you cant do radiology you need to either do something else or stop going to school. Sometimes you dont get into the program you want and soemtimes reapplying does not make it any better.

Anxious Informer

I would definitely try for the program at least twice. At my old community college, I had friends apply for their Nursing program (incredibly competitive, only took like 200 students per year I believe from four campuses), and they were denied their first time, started questioning like you are (raised their GPA), and then were accepted the second time.

If you decide against doing that, I would recommend getting either an actual Associates Degree (that will land you a marginally better job than nothing), or going and getting a Bachelor's Degree.
Depending on the classes available at a local university, you could major in Biology and take many many electives that are anatomy-based (not quite radiology, but somewhat similar at least).

Precious Lover

15,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
xiatara

I applied for the xray program in 2010 and graduated in 2012. It was also at a community college. I was talking to the counselor that was in charge of taking applications and she told me that a good GPA and ACT score will get you in, but the interview is what lets you stay.
Also, when I got in, I found out that it took one of my classmates 2 tries to get into the program. If you give it a second chance, they may see your dedication and take you.
They actually rejected one guy that I talked to, even though he was super smart and informed himself about everything xray. (They felt he wasn't very personal in the interview. More like a robot.)

If you don't get in because of your GPA, then retake classes that you have a C or B in. Try to get that A. Retake the ACT if you think it may be too low. Ad then when the application process comes up again, apply.

My GPA is 3.4, but for the program in my college, I don't need to take the ACT. The test I'm required to take is the science and general academics (math, spatial relation, and vocab) portion from PSB Health Occupation Aptitude Examination. I did super in the science part, but poor in the general academics because I did poor on the vocabulary. There is also no interview in the radiography program at my college

Precious Lover

15,875 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
Balveniesweet
Throw your hat into that radiology ring. If you don't get in this time, try again next year.

I don't suggest waiting because life takes many twists and turns and things don't always go as planned.

Think outside the box...or your state. You may want to consider an out of state, or even country school with a sister school here as some countries charge comparatively very little to go to college.

Mostly though, I ask you, are you passionate about radiology? If so, don't sit about waiting and planning to fulfill that passion, but go all out for it--don't hold back. Like you said, that guy was crazy smart and crazy impersonal. Showing your passion for your major at your interview goes a long way!

However, I like to remind all college students (only because I'm a GGGeezer and I've been there and come out the other side) to think about what you want your life to be 5 years AFTER graduation. I don't want to see you floating around the ether of 'Now What?'.

Good Luck, dear.

I was originally a nursing student in my first year in my old college, but I had (and still have) to cope with the emotional/mental problems I have and toxic family,, and the college staff kept giving me tedious issues, such as mixing up the scholarship program I'm in to kept making mistakes in my schedule and attempt to fix it. I also felt nursing wasn't for me because it requires a lot of socializing and I felt it wasn't me and I was following my aunt's path

Anyways, I did took a career assessment test during my first year. Radiography was one of those recommended majors, which I took big interest in. Radiography felt like a perfect fit since my favorite system in anatomy was the bones and somewhat the muscle. The curriculum is mostly science-based and there is a math and physics class in the program. The job is also hands-on. I also want to have a job in the healthcare field.

If I do get in radiography, I am plaaning to be an xray technician. However, if I ever want to do more with radiation, and by that time, I might be more social, I'll use radiography as my starting point and experience to pursue radiation therapist.

Gracious Millionaire

9,625 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Invisibility 100
Blooming desire

My advice is purely based off of experience, I've been in college for 9 years with no degree to show for it along with a bunch of loans to pay off. I would go with option one. You know what you want so go for it. Don't waste time and money on anything other than what you want to do. You will be left with nothing, but heartache otherwise.
Blooming desire
xiatara

My GPA is 3.4, but for the program in my college, I don't need to take the ACT. The test I'm required to take is the science and general academics (math, spatial relation, and vocab) portion from PSB Health Occupation Aptitude Examination. I did super in the science part, but poor in the general academics because I did poor on the vocabulary. There is also no interview in the radiography program at my college
Then, I would still try bring up your academics a little more. When I did a year a pre reqs before applying, I had a 3.9 GPA. They took 60 students out of the 200 that applied and interviewed them and accepted only 25 students. Of course, since you don't have an interview, you can just try to study more and bring up your GPA.
I loved the xray progam and clinicals. The first year was pretty scary, but in the second year, I felt like a real xray tech because of how much freedom we were given to treat patients. Also, it's all hands-on and every day is a different day especially working in the ER.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff