Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Citizen

7,050 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
well, because of my father.

This might turn out to be long, I'm really sorry. Big thank you if you take the time to read all of it.

Let me start from the beginning. My father had left when I was a baby, and never saw him again, nor ever really knew who my father was (my mom had men coming and going all the time as I was growing up, and refused to tell me who my dad was) until I was about 11. I don't know how, but he had come back into my life, for a few months on and off. until one day, he left, promising to come back soon. I was excited, I couldn't wait to see him again. I counted down the days until he would come back. He never came. After that, I never saw him again until I was about 20.

Since then, he's been in my life on and off, randomly coming and going. At the beginning, I would see him once, maybe twice a month. Until I had to go up north to stay with my aunt and uncle for a few months, due to some family issues. I was up north from july until december. I had some money saved up from a job I had, so when I got back to the city, I moved in with some friends. Saw my father in the February after. At this point I was about to become homeless, because due to the awful job economy in the city, I wasn't able to find a job in those 2 months, I was paying half the rent for the time I was living there (there were 3 of us, I was paying half. tell me how that was fair) as well as me lending my roommates some money for cigarette's and pot. (I know, BIG mistake on my part. they promised to pay me back, they never did.) once I ran out of money, my roommates ended the lease, and gave me 2 weeks to get out. My father had offered me a place to live, a few hours away, until I could get back on my feet, which I reluctantly agreed to. When these 2 weeks were just about up, he changed his mind, gave some sort of bullshit excuse, and left me not knowing what to do. Well, my other aunt and uncle then offered for me to move in with them, but I had to give up my cats (which to this day, I still heavily regret and miss them terribly). Well I moved in with them, immediately began job hunting, which every job out of hundreds actually called and said they declined my resume. Well that's just lovely. During this time, my dad had sent me a birthday gift, but I hadn't actually heard from him.

Once my time with my aunt and uncle came to a stop, my now fiance, who lived a couple hours away, took me in. Now, I had only known him for a month prior, which I know we moved very quickly, but hey it ended up working out for us. During our 4 months living in his hometown, despite living closer to my father, I had only heard from him maybe once or twice, but never saw him. I had been lucky enough to find a job in the town we were then living in, but we had needed to move to my hometown because the house we were living in was costing us $700 plus $300 for utilities, and we couldn't afford it. For the first couple of years living back in my city, I heard from my father once a month, saw him maybe once every 6-12 months, and everything was going okay, I was content.

Now here we are, 4 years into living in the city, and at this point, I very rarely hear from my father. One of the last times I heard from him, approximately 8 months ago, he decided to drop me a message out of the blue, telling me he "adopted" a little girl. (Now when I say "adopted", he's friends with her mother, hasn't legally adopted her, but she basically lives in his house, with the mother knowing about it. I don't know where her mother is in all this.) In this message, he basically apologized for not being there my whole life, and how this little girl was his way of making up for all of the mistakes, and how he'll treat her better. Are you seriously kidding me? He just told me that he actually replaced me. He was set to believe that I was alright with the situation. He has this little girl, who's not officially his daughter, but he treats her like one, who's living with him, and he loves to brag to me how she's such an angel. The last time I saw my father, was this previous March, I went to his town to see him, I met this little girl. Don't get me wrong, she's adorable and sweet, but it's painful.

The last time he came to the city to see me, was 2 years ago. 2 years!

He says it's because he's broke and can't afford it. Well he's bringing in like 4k a month, and has recently decided to take a road trip to Ontario(which is 2 hours away from me, but 5 hours away from him), and has posted pictures all over facebook of him and this little girl on their trip to Ontario, and how much fun he's having. He tells me he can't drive 3 hours to see me, which is on the way to Ontario, or even make a stop here along the way, but he has no problems driving to Ontario on a whim.

Maybe I'm being selfish, but I would like to see my father once in a while. But no, that's not possible anymore. He refuses to come to the city. How am I supposed to feel about this? It's ridiculously depressing and painful that, to make up for all the horrible things he's done while I've grown up, he's replaced me instead of try to mend his relationship with me.

I don't think I even want to try anymore. I want to have my father in my life, but I don't want him to keep comparing her to me.

What am I supposed to do? Am I wrong?
It sounds like your father is just not willing to put effort into this relationship.

It's never going to be right or fair, but yes, he probably does prefer spending time with his new child. She probably doesn't remind him of the bad things he's done in the past. She doesn't have anger and resentment or sadness from the times he wasn't there. In short, things with her are easier than things with you. He would rather do it over with someone else than work on making things better between the two of you.

I don't really think there's a right way to feel. It's not a fair situation. At the same time, his behavior is out of your control. Understand that it isn't your fault. It's his weakness, not your inadequacy.
Just drop your father out of your life period. Him telling you he's "adopting" that little girl is just a slap in your face. It's pathetic excuse and he will never make up all the years he's done to be on and off in your life.

He's done nothing but a sperm donor. He's not even a father but rather just a stranger who comes in and out of your life. I would be furious to receive that response from him and just tell him how I feel and to have him never contact me again.

The nerve of him.

Sparkly Vampire

9,400 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cat Fancier 100
You are entitled from the day you were born to have the proper love and care from him as your parent, you have every right in the world to be "selfish". The nerve of him. You would like to think you're in the wrong, but that is wrong. Call him out on his crap and how it makes you feel, he simply can't repair his relationship with you and make things right by doing it all through another child when you're still breathing.

Festive Knight

18,600 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Invisibility 100
I am sorry to read this. Doesn't sound like it's at all been easy.

I think the easiest way to look at this is this: don't see him as your father. He's not "dad", "pop", or "father". He's "insert first name". My mind goes back to the episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air when Will meets his father again. At the beginning, he's dad or pop, but by the end, he's just "Lou".

At this point he barely registers as extremely distant second cousin. I guess good for him to try be a better dad with the new kid, but that doesn't cut it. Life doesn't work that way. It's not like you're some project that he was tinkering with as a prototype. You're a human being that deserves love and compassion. There's no selfishness there.

But yeah, don't force yourself to keep trying. If he makes the effort, sure, acknowledge him, but just get out of the mindset that he's the dad. He's not. He lost that privilege an incredibly long time ago.

Kirai Nenshou's Fangirl

Star

13,800 Points
  • Married 100
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Noble Shade 100
when I was little my father was the same way... kind of. but actually a lot worse (not going to bore you with the details) but he made promises he never kept and when I told him I wanted this little toy he told me he would get it but never did, I haven't spoke to him in 10 years and don't know my little brother (who I found out existed recently) and my older sister (who has gone the way of my father and doesn't bother with me)
he isn't putting in effort in so don't put in effort into hearing him. doesn't cost much to call you once a week.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff