Welcome to Gaia! ::

I believe it's due to stress, boredom, being hungry, etc. I can chew gum and still bite my nails. I've tried to do more things with my hands, but I bite given the chance.
My mother has even paid for hypnosis, which didn't work. I've done that nasty tasting nail polish that is suppose to make you stop, etc.
My doctor sees this as a habit and no reason to see a therapist.

So, what are some other things I can do? I've done it since I was 7 or so. I bite them til it hurts to touch.

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
WebMD has a number of methods that may help you stop. If those don't work, seeing a mental professional might just help. o_o; I also suggested you see a different doctor 'cuz that guy sounds retarded.
Genkai taught me well
WebMD has a number of methods that may help you stop. If those don't work, seeing a mental professional might just help. o_o; I also suggested you see a different doctor 'cuz that guy sounds retarded.
This is the only doctor in the area, with my insurance, who has a brain. lol
(I fractured my tibia, and the prior doctor told me to walk it off because she believed it was a sprain and didn't give me an MRI/etc.. the other before that was against birth control, so she wouldnt give me proper information.)

I've done those, though, I do a rubber band to the skin for the fun of it.

I have stress, and it won't stop any time soon. Though, it's become a habit due to boredom and what not. I get bored too quickly

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well
(I fractured my tibia, and the prior doctor told me to walk it off because she believed it was a sprain and didn't give me an MRI/etc.. the other before that was against birth control, so she wouldnt give me proper information.)

I have stress, and it won't stop any time soon. Though, it's become a habit due to boredom and what not. I get bored too quickly
o_o Maybe wear gloves? Or.. those rubber finger things that people use in offices to turn pages? Put one on every finger.

If you have that much stress, you really should talk to someone about it.
Genkai taught me well
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well

o_o Maybe wear gloves? Or.. those rubber finger things that people use in offices to turn pages? Put one on every finger.

I cant o gloves, but maybe the rubber things.. I can type, clean, and cook with them without worry of them falling off.... right? Sadly, I'm a bad person. I've tried to punish myself or have my husband punish me, but I shrug it off.

I talk, but it doesn't go away. Money issues, selling a home, possibly trying for another child, issues with finding college classes, and then basic things of running around with the volunteer work I have to do.
First off start being more aware of when you are doing it. You know you do it when you are bored, but you want to catch yourself in the act. Then, when you do, change what you are doing. Since boredom related, take that as a sign you need to get up and do something. You need to learnt o control yourself. No help from any doc can do s**t if you dont put the work into it, and going to a therapist will just be working through the why and doing what Im telling you now, getting you to change your behaviour.
legnanellaf5
First off start being more aware of when you are doing it. You know you do it when you are bored, but you want to catch yourself in the act. Then, when you do, change what you are doing. Since boredom related, take that as a sign you need to get up and do something. You need to learnt o control yourself. No help from any doc can do s**t if you dont put the work into it, and going to a therapist will just be working through the why and doing what Im telling you now, getting you to change your behaviour.
See the above.
DHMIS Paige
legnanellaf5
See the above.

i see nothing that directly related to what Im saying. This isnt going to be a quick fix, this is something you need to get yourself to do gradually and you need to get out of that bs mindset that you cant stop yourself. Yes you can. You just dont.
legnanellaf5
DHMIS Paige
legnanellaf5
See the above.

i see nothing that directly related to what Im saying. This isnt going to be a quick fix, this is something you need to get yourself to do gradually and you need to get out of that bs mindset that you cant stop yourself. Yes you can. You just dont.
Then you're not reading hard enough. Try again.

Cuddly Cat

14,325 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
One of my friends used to put on fake nails, so she couldn't get to hers to bite
marron_kuri
One of my friends used to put on fake nails, so she couldn't get to hers to bite
That is something I have never tried! I never paint my nails or have used fake ones since I was a child playing dress up.
Does using fake nails often bother the growth and health of regular nails?

Genius

9,750 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well

I cant o gloves, but maybe the rubber things.. I can type, clean, and cook with them without worry of them falling off.... right? Sadly, I'm a bad person. I've tried to punish myself or have my husband punish me, but I shrug it off.

I talk, but it doesn't go away. Money issues, selling a home, possibly trying for another child, issues with finding college classes, and then basic things of running around with the volunteer work I have to do.
If you're having money trouble and continuing your education, it's a really bad time to try for another child.
Genkai taught me well
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well
DHMIS Paige
Genkai taught me well

If you're having money trouble and continuing your education, it's a really bad time to try for another child.
Those finances are completely separate from planning another child. I can assure you.

Cuddly Cat

14,325 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Object of Affection 150
DHMIS Paige
marron_kuri
That is something I have never tried! I never paint my nails or have used fake ones since I was a child playing dress up.
Does using fake nails often bother the growth and health of regular nails?

Here is an article about that on the Mayo Clinic's website.

Pliskin MD's Wife

Spoopy Bear

17,525 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Married 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500

I have the same problem. How I am starting to stop is I look at other women's nails and I become envious of how nice and clean they look. So I've been better and more conscious about biting them. I also get the fake acrylic nails occasionally, too. User Image

User ImageUser Image

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces