Welcome to Gaia! ::

I was just wondering if anyone else had an experience like this.

I am college-aged and I have a female reproductive system.

So a few months ago I noticed that sometimes I would get this cramping pain on the lower
right side of my stomach, down and diagonal from my bellybutton. Since that's sort of where
ovaries are, I assumed it was between-period pain. I experienced this two or three times over
the course of a month or two but didn't think much of it.

About 5 days ago, it became a constant problem though. I was convinced (and am still hoping)
it is trapped gas, because it feels like a pressure/discomfort and it's sort of like a gas pain.
But I've taken different kinds of stomach/gas medicines and they are not working. The pain/
discomfort seems to depend on my body's position. Standing up and walking seem to make it
go away, while sitting causes a sharp pain half the time, and lying down usually ends up making
it sore and making the pressure worse. Sometimes this pain is pretty bad to the point of wincing
or verbally saying "OW ********" but sometimes it's more mild, or just uncomfortable.

Maybe I'm overreacting and it's just trapped gas, but even then it is REALLY annoying and I
would like some sort of advice for relieving this pain and discomfort. If anyone else has had symptoms
like these, what was the problem? What did you do to help it?

Tipsy Lunatic

Is this a recurring thing?

If so it's quite likely that it's something to do with your gall bladder.
I had something similar for years. One day it just got to be too much and I went to the ER. Turns out it was a gall stone 2 1/2 inches in diameter. They removed it and my gall bladder.
Problem solved.
The first two explanations that come to mind for me it that it can be an ovarian cyst, or liver problems. Both of which would require medical attention. I am not giving you that as a definitive diagnosis, I am simply pointing out that it could be something serious. I suggest you go to a doctor.
The Drunken Jester
Is this a recurring thing?

If so it's quite likely that it's something to do with your gall bladder.
I had something similar for years. One day it just got to be too much and I went to the ER. Turns out it was a gall stone 2 1/2 inches in diameter. They removed it and my gall bladder.
Problem solved.

Like I said, it had happened a few times before, but only like one or two pains in a day, then
no symptoms for like two weeks. Then it would happen again. So I just pegged it to random
menstrual pains or something. But now it's pretty consistent.

Thanks for your perspective!
Dronnoc
The first two explanations that come to mind for me it that it can be an ovarian cyst, or liver problems. Both of which would require medical attention. I am not giving you that as a definitive diagnosis, I am simply pointing out that it could be something serious. I suggest you go to a doctor.

You know, my girlfriend had ovarian cysts and she did mention that my symptoms seem reminiscent
of hers... I was really hoping it wouldn't be something gynecology-related but it's definitely a possibility. (I've never been to a gynecologist and I don't know if I can force myself to going without
royally freaking out.) But I'll be going to a doctor within the next day or so and if that's what he suggests
I'll just have to suck it up.
weed-chan

You know, my girlfriend had ovarian cysts and she did mention that my symptoms seem reminiscent
of hers... I was really hoping it wouldn't be something gynecology-related but it's definitely a possibility. (I've never been to a gynecologist and I don't know if I can force myself to going without
royally freaking out.) But I'll be going to a doctor within the next day or so and if that's what he suggests

I don't think you have to go to a gynecologist for an ovarian cyst. They typically diagnose those through the use of an ultrasound.
Dronnoc
weed-chan

I don't think you have to go to a gynecologist for an ovarian cyst. They typically diagnose those through the use of an ultrasound.

Ohh, okay. I didn't know if, because it would be a reproductive-related thing, I'd need to see a
doctor specific in that field or anything. But that makes sense.

Tipsy Lunatic

Dronnoc
weed-chan

You have to go to a gyno to get the orders for an ultrasound.

Also the ultrasound of the uterus requires sticking a wand thingy up there.

I've had that done before since I suffer from ovarian cysts.

Liberal Sex Symbol

Does it feel like a sharp stabbing pain that's occasional but getting more frequent? Do you still have your appendix?

When patients complain about RLQ Pain at my job, the first guess is possible appendicitis, in which case should demand a visit to the Urgent care in the morning or the ER if it's really bad.

(IANAD and I dont have a hloliday inn express nearby)

Friendly Millionaire

10,150 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Inscriven
Does it feel like a sharp stabbing pain that's occasional but getting more frequent? Do you still have your appendix?

When patients complain about RLQ Pain at my job, the first guess is possible appendicitis, in which case should demand a visit to the Urgent care in the morning or the ER if it's really bad.

(IANAD and I dont have a hloliday inn express nearby)
I was thinking appendix too. Especially if the pain is sharp and increases with certain positions.
Some misinformation in this thread:
- Right lower quadrant pain is very unlikely to be liver, since liver is in right upper quadrant.
- Right lower quadrant pain is very unlikely to be gallbladder, since the gallbladder is in the right upper quadrant on most people.

2/3 of the way diagonal from your belly button to your hip is where the appendix is located. If you have pain anywhere near there and it is getting worse, you should go to the ED--especially if the pain gets very bad, you can't find a position of comfort and/or you develop fever/nausea/vomiting.

The other causes you're going to need some imaging to get sorted out. So if it's bothering you, see a doctor.
Mooby the Golden Sock
Some misinformation in this thread:
- Right lower quadrant pain is very unlikely to be liver, since liver is in right upper quadrant.
- Right lower quadrant pain is very unlikely to be gallbladder, since the gallbladder is in the right upper quadrant on most people.

2/3 of the way diagonal from your belly button to your hip is where the appendix is located. If you have pain anywhere near there and it is getting worse, you should go to the ED--especially if the pain gets very bad, you can't find a position of comfort and/or you develop fever/nausea/vomiting.

The other causes you're going to need some imaging to get sorted out. So if it's bothering you, see a doctor.

Thanks!

The pain was at its worst the night before last, but since then it seems to be a little better.
It's still present though, so I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. Unfortunately the clinic I have access
to seems to be terrible at diagnosing things correctly but I'll definitely stress that I would like to
be checked out for appendicitis.
weed-chan
Thanks!

The pain was at its worst the night before last, but since then it seems to be a little better.
It's still present though, so I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow. Unfortunately the clinic I have access
to seems to be terrible at diagnosing things correctly but I'll definitely stress that I would like to

Ok.

Just so you know, appendicitis is considered a medical emergency. So if you have a good reason to think you have appendicitis, or it gets suddenly worse, you should seek emergency treatment.

Hopefully the clinic will get things right. biggrin
Mooby the Golden Sock
weed-chan
Thanks!

Ok.

Just so you know, appendicitis is considered a medical emergency. So if you have a good reason to think you have appendicitis, or it gets suddenly worse, you should seek emergency treatment.

Hopefully the clinic will get things right. biggrin

Absolutely, if the pain worsens I'm not going to take any chances!
Thanks for your (and everyone else's) advice!
I would go get checked. Could be your appendix.

Just to be safe, jump up and down. If you get a painful feeling where the pain usually is then go to the ER.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff