Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, today I cut myself with kitchen scissors...the depth of the cut is similar to the depth of what a cat scratch would be.
I just read something on how if you cut yourself with an object that is not sterile, you can get aids and hepatitis C...I was wondering if that only happens if somebody who has aids or hep C had cut themselves on that object before. Aids and hep C doesn't just spawn out of nowhere, right? (Or from non-people?) And even if that object did have something on it that was bad and disease-like, it wouldn't get spread to you through a cut similar to a cat scratch, would it? And then, if it did, would Neosporin be able to kill it if it was applied a couple hours after the cut was made?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm basically just looking for reassurance that I'm not doomed to having a lifelong disease-thing just cause I cut myself on a pair of kitchen scissors...

Anyway, thanks for your time ^^;;
Velsor
Okay, today I cut myself with kitchen scissors...the depth of the cut is similar to the depth of what a cat scratch would be.
I just read something on how if you cut yourself with an object that is not sterile, you can get aids and hepatitis C...I was wondering if that only happens if somebody who has aids or hep C had cut themselves on that object before. Aids and hep C doesn't just spawn out of nowhere, right? (Or from non-people?) And even if that object did have something on it that was bad and disease-like, it wouldn't get spread to you through a cut similar to a cat scratch, would it? And then, if it did, would Neosporin be able to kill it if it was applied a couple hours after the cut was made?

Sorry for all the questions...I'm basically just looking for reassurance that I'm not doomed to having a lifelong disease-thing just cause I cut myself on a pair of kitchen scissors...

Unless it was recently handled by someone with those diseases, I think you should be ok. Just keep the wound clean.

To sterilize a metal item, you etiher put it in boiling water (very very boiling water) or I think alcohol can do it if needed.
No, aids and Hepatitis C can't just appear out of thin air, so you should be safe. Just keep your cut clean.
caladrius
Velsor

Unless it was recently handled by someone with those diseases, I think you should be ok. Just keep the wound clean.

To sterilize a metal item, you etiher put it in boiling water (very very boiling water) or I think alcohol can do it if needed.

Or, you could put it over a flame for a little bit. Justmake sure it cools off a little before you use it.
You can only get AIDS from excange of bodily fluids, and, fortunatly for us, the AIDS virus can ony survive for about five minutes in the open air anyway, so I don't think you have ot worry. Again just keep it clean like you would any other cut.
Usually you can only get those things if someone with those diseases have recently cut themselves with it and didn't clean it off.
Okay...thanks ^^;
I would usually ask my parents if something like this happened on an accident...but I kinda hurt myself on purpose-ish, and I don't really want them to know that o.o
First of all, I do not condone self inflicted injury. I strongly discourage it, and think you should find a more healthy outlet for your emotions. None the less...

Press a warm, damp cloth to the cut and keep it there for thirty seconds. If you have some Polysporin in the house, dab a bit on the wound and cover with a large band-aid. If you are very worried about the infection, repeat the compress and Polysporin three times daily.
Velsor
Okay...thanks ^^;
I would usually ask my parents if something like this happened on an accident...but I kinda hurt myself on purpose-ish, and I don't really want them to know that o.o

Want to know how to stop AIDs or Hep C?

Don't cut yourself.

Enduring Hoarder

12,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
God i hope that's not true, after working with steel for the last few years my hands look like i've been shaking hands with Freddy Krugger(Or how ever you spell it) every god damm day sweatdrop
Something u should be worried about is tetanus (lockjaw). U get it from cutting or scraping yourself with unclean or rusty metal. u should be fine if u've had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years.
You can only get those diseases if someone else with the diseases cut themselves with it within the past hour.

You can still get an infection and blood poisoning though.

And if neosporen could kill HIV or Hepatitus, we would never have to worry about diseases again.
Dark Adriana
First of all, I do not condone self inflicted injury. I strongly discourage it, and think you should find a more healthy outlet for your emotions.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to be watching that, and making sure that I don't do it next time I get angry...that one time was a really bad situation, cause I was so angry, and then I was given a direct command to do the dishes, so all my /good/ outlets had been non-useable at that time...
But I'll be making sure to not let that one happen again sweatdrop
The best bet: peroxide. Make it sting BAD. That means it works! Then, go to a doctor, and reliquish it.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff