Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Elder

I have been quite depressed about the world as of late. I honestly think I SHOULD be depressed, considering how many things humanity as a whole is doing wrong. Destroying the planet, arrogantly killing each other, selfishly striving for personal gain at the cost of others, to name a few things....

This has been taking a huge tole on my mind as of late. I realized that any sense of wonder I had about the world - any excitement I had about people and places - is gone. I have no faith in humanity and feel like I'm struggling to deal with the direction of things.

To make it clear, I'm NOT suicidal. I have thought about death plenty of times, but I've never considered killing myself in seriousness. I think I value myself too highly to do that... Also, I have not ceased my life because of this depression. I am working and going to school, seeing friends, living my life, making people laugh... It's just that internally, I am not very happy and feel like my head is in a black cloud. I miss the whimsy I used to feel because of my natural curiosity to discover things. Now I just feel cynical towards most things.

I don't want anyone to tell me it's okay, that the world is fine. It's really not. Anyone becoming happy by ignoring the problems is being passive. What I need to learn is how to be happy and at peace even when coming to terms with reality. How do I enjoy life despite its flaws and uncertainties?

I hope someone who understands my situation can provide some incite.

Loyal Friend

14,950 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Kumajii

Hey I know how you feel. When I'm hurt emotionally I start looking at the world and that's when I see all the bad stuff happening such as the whole gaza thing and then there's ISIS , then there's Tibet , iraq or iran oh and then there's education and it's systems and costs. I think you need to overcome what was the first thing that triggered you into your depression. But what I do to enjoy life sometimes even when I know there's bad stuff happening everywhere.........I just let go and be happy for once and do what makes me happy. You should too when you want to enjoy life. Ignore the world. Do what makes you happy. Surround yourself with your friends if that's what makes you happy. What I do to enjoy life though is just stare at the scenery around my home and look at it's beauty. I listen to the music I enjoy, and I work or just chill on gaia. Oh and chick flicks if they can make me cry then the better it is. You could maybe try those stuff?

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
I feel similar I think.

High-functioning Noob

~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Congratulations! You have obtained a healthy awareness of the world around you.

Unfortunately, I see a lot of people go through a phase of depression, big or small, when this happens. You will eventually learn to be happy again even if it's something as small as playing a game or watching a show, because you can only physically take feeling depressed for so long. But, that's not a bad thing either. There are still plenty of things around you that are capable of making you happy, whether it's on a superficial level of pleasure, or a deeper sense of fulfillment. Helping others is, in my opinion, the biggest thing you can do to create a sense of fulfillment. I mean, with everything that's going on and what little you do have control of, why not make that a priority? Or, help animals instead. Maybe plant a garden. Your world is only as big as you make it, so fill it with positivity in light of the bad happenings that you cannot control nor influence.

~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces