Welcome to Gaia! ::

I know you've probably had enough of hair dye threads, but I need a special favour from all you helpful Gaians!
You see, I wish to dye my hair burgundy, yet, my mother seems to look down upon it. Here's how it goes:

-The plan: To get my mom to let me dye my hair burgundy.

-The reason: I'm rather bored of my appearance and want a change, I think I'll look rather good with burgundy hair.

-The situation: I'm 14, straight A's all year, hang out with a good crowd, don't go to parties, don't defy my parents, don't listen to heavy music, dress normally.

-My moms reasons: I might not like it and blame it on her (like my sister did when her hair was dyed blondeish-orange), it's not a "natural colour" and therefore people will think I'm "goth". Apparently she will be embarrassed to be with me in public. She also seems to think that I'm happy looking like everyone else and don't want to stand out.

-My rebuttal: I have looked into this, edited my hair on photoshop and whatnot, took note of other people's hair, and it will be my fault entirely if I decide I don't like it. Sure its not as natural as hair colour goes, but if I really wanted to be "goth" I'd ask for green or blue hair. Plus, if I don't dress the part I won't be. Also, she should be lucky that I respect her and am not embarrassed by HER in public. I tried to explain to her how I'm no longer insecure about myself and don't care if I stand out (which i doubt will happen anyway).

-Why I don't just do it anyway: I love my mom, I respect her, I don't get in much trouble, she supports me in any goals I wish to pursue, and most importantly; she gives me money.

So what I ask of you is to help me out, perhaps if you have been in this situation before you could tell me how you handled it, or anyway else I can convince her to let me. Also, how would your parents react in a situation like this? Are you free to do what you want with your hair?
Just dye it and show her you don't even look like a goth
diegoa

I could, but I will lose her trust and that's the last thing I want.
What's your original hair colour? If you're a brown, I say go for it. I was a dark and rich brown, dyed my hair that colour, and it ended up very pretty... I ended up going back to brown though because the roots were too much to take care of! However, I have slightly fair skin, so it was a lead and bound for me...

How do you convience your mother? First of all, find the money to put all of the stuff yourself (hair dye kit, money to do it on the salon, shampoo to keep it looking good, a conditioning mask so your hair doesnt dry out). I did that, and surprisingly my mother at the age of 14 let me do that.

I showed responsibiltiy... So just do lovely things such as keep your room clea, do chores BEFORE they ask you, and save up your money...

And it should happen.
Carltoast
diegoa

I could, but I will lose her trust and that's the last thing I want.
Draw diagrams and display stupid useless information while being nice 3nodding That always does it xp
I'd say the same thing as diegoa, but I respect the fact that you don't want your mom to lose trust in you. You could try arguing a bit more -- my mom is completely against body modification and hair coloring, but I talked to her for a bit, and now I'm allowed to color my hair. ^^
i_heart_you88
What's your original hair colour? If you're a brown, I say go for it. I was a dark and rich brown, dyed my hair that colour, and it ended up very pretty... I ended up going back to brown though because the roots were too much to take care of! However, I have slightly fair skin, so it was a lead and bound for me...

How do you convience your mother? First of all, find the money to put all of the stuff yourself (hair dye kit, money to do it on the salon, shampoo to keep it looking good, a conditioning mask so your hair doesnt dry out). I did that, and surprisingly my mother at the age of 14 let me do that.

I showed responsibiltiy... So just do lovely things such as keep your room clea, do chores BEFORE they ask you, and save up your money...

And it should happen.

EEEEE! great ideas! just what I was looking for, and just the thing I should have thought of sweatdrop .
I have dark brown hair that was slightly highlighted blonde and red around this time last year. (but you can't see the red anymore) Im fairly tanned. Perhaps I could convince her into letting me try a temporary dye and see how she likes it :\.
Carltoast
i_heart_you88

And it should happen.

EEEEE! great ideas! just what I was looking for, and just the thing I should have thought of sweatdrop .
I have dark brown hair that was slightly highlighted blonde and red around this time last year. (but you can't see the red anymore) Im fairly tanned. Perhaps I could convince her into letting me try a temporary dye and see how she likes it :\.

A temporary dye is a great idea. 3nodding
poetry in despair
I'd say the same thing as diegoa, but I respect the fact that you don't want your mom to lose trust in you. You could try arguing a bit more -- my mom is completely against body modification and hair coloring, but I talked to her for a bit, and now I'm allowed to color my hair. ^^

Great idea, but im just unsure of what else I could argue sweatdrop .
Did you think about going to an upscale hair salon and asking the stylist what colors would work for you? Don't let her talk you into dying it.. but have her point out colors that work, and write them down...

And I suggest getting your hair trimmed/cut.. it will make things easier. Or at least, I always did that... Maybe its a me thing.
I've heard there are hair-gels that dye your hair and can be easily be washed off. My friend used to do that, though, I'm not sure what the brand of the hair-gel was. =/
Just tell your mom that if you dye it and don't like it then you'll die it back to your natural hair color. I died my hair purple a while ago, it was quite fun 3nodding
Good suggestions everyone! I think I might ask my mom about the temporary hair dye or the gel.
Just show your mom what you look like on photoshop and if she doesnt think it ll looke liek that then just like get some temporary burgendy hair dye and then like see how it goes and promise you wont blame it on her.
If the temproray looks good go permanent if it doesnt well at least it washes out right?
I made a bargain with my boyfriend. I wouldn't dye my hair or get a tattoo if he gave in and let me get a nose ring. He agreed.

But I gave up on that and he's allowing me to practice henna. But if I get a real tattoo he'll break-up with me or divorce me, depending on what stage we're at.

See, he's very against changing appearances. He hates my earrings (one hole on each lobe), my make-up, and the previous dyings of my hair. His parents do, too.

So I just started off with really bad things, and got him to agree to a not so bad thing. Try that with your mum, it's worked on my dad before, too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff