Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've tried everything. Once upon a time when I first started battling this eating disorder I was terrified, begging God to help me. I was afraid for my life. Then after being inpatient, and partial inpatient... 3 different times, intensive outpatient an uncountable number of times- I'm at the point I think I usually don't have a problem (thinking meh I've been worse) and I don't think it's a "big deal" that I'm underweight. It's become a way of life for me almost. I know I have an issue because of how defeated I feel when I have to eat.

So, after all this time, I decided if I can't get better for myself, I will for someone else I don't even know. I'm a nursing student and have seen people with cancer.... it's horrible- so want to sign up to be a bone marrow donor. I'd have to gain 10-15lbs at least. What they do is- take a DNA test swab from your mouth and keep your DNA on record, then call you when they find someone with a match, and you go in and they take a long needle and suck the bone marrow from your hip.

It could be 1 day or 2 years before they find someone with a match and call you in to donate. A lot of people die waiting.

Do you guys think this is a good reason on my part to motivate myself to become healthy? They say do it for yourself first, but I don't WANT to do it for myself, I won't do it for myself.

Timid Lunatic

I think this is a wonderful way for you to start to recover. But I think the only way you can fully recover in the long-term is if you learn to get better for your own sake, and not for the sake of someone else.

Rainbow Lover

Have you ever been to an Eating Disorders Anonymous meeting before? I've had friends with anorexia/bulimia get help there. They don't act out anymore. You can get in contact with other people in the same situation. You get what they call a "sponsor" who you talk to and they guide you through the program.
Just a suggestion.
My best wishes go out to you heart
Well how long would you have to be at that heavier weight? As getting to that weight is easy, staying at it without relasping is hard. So if this program means you have to maintain that weight, then its a good start.
legnanellaf5
Well how long would you have to be at that heavier weight? As getting to that weight is easy, staying at it without relasping is hard. So if this program means you have to maintain that weight, then its a good start.

Yes, I would have to maintain weight continuously, because you never know when they'll call you. It will be at random, and if I show up at an unhealthy weight (under 115ish in my case and I'm about 98 now) they'll turn me away and who ever was told they had a match would have to hear that I wouldn't be able to donate to them which, if you can imagine would be horrific. Technically you need to be at LEAST 110, but with my height and build 115 would be optimal before I can sign up

Dedicated Gaian

12,725 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
I had a cousin that had anorexia and she passed away. She was only 18 when she died. All her organs shut down and her parents found her in the middle of the living room dead.

My point:

You have a family that loves you and wants you to live a long, successful life. If you just think of how it will devastate your family and friends then hopefully that will motivate you to get well. Think of all the wonderful things you can do. Love life and live it to the fullest.

Best of luck and if you ever need to chat, please don't hesitate to pm me.
HomebrewFox
Have you ever been to an Eating Disorders Anonymous meeting before? I've had friends with anorexia/bulimia get help there. They don't act out anymore. You can get in contact with other people in the same situation. You get what they call a "sponsor" who you talk to and they guide you through the program.
Just a suggestion.
My best wishes go out to you heart

Yea, they have a group like that at the place I'm receiving out patient. But if I continue on this path I'll be too sick for outpatient.... and need a higher level of care, and because of nursing school I'd refuse it meaning I'd have to be kicked out for awhile which would only leave me with that group... and I've been to those groups and had issues in it because the other people attending... I hung out with a few of them and they were very.... hate to say it strange. Not because of their ED but they had some personality disorders and got way clingy with me in an uncomfortable way after only hanging out with them once so I had to cut a few of them off. To go back would be very awkward. They don't have sponsors in the group and the only other groups are like 2hrs away >__< It's alright though I have a lot of awesome friends and wonderful support, it's just the demon in me. So I figure it would be rewarding to recover to help someone. A stranger helping me in a way, and me helping them. Their strength inspires me, they're going through something I can't ever imagine.
AngelsDreadedFear
I had a cousin that had anorexia and she passed away. She was only 18 when she died. All her organs shut down and her parents found her in the middle of the living room dead.

My point:

You have a family that loves you and wants you to live a long, successful life. If you just think of how it will devastate your family and friends then hopefully that will motivate you to get well. Think of all the wonderful things you can do. Love life and live it to the fullest.

Best of luck and if you ever need to chat, please don't hesitate to pm me.

Wow... yea, its one of those things you just never know when you'll pass out dead. I was in heart failure once when I went inpatient. I dont ever want to do it again. Yet in anorexia mindset it is the definition of insanity- doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff