Welcome to Gaia! ::

So this little event has been bugging me for a couple of days and I am really wondering if I am in the wrong or are my coworkers just being jerks to me?

Info You May Need to Understand: I am a waitress currently working about 5-6 days out of the week. I hardly ever get to see my boyfriend let alone make plans for myself or really anyone else. I work a lot of doubles and am contently being asked to come in and work other peoples shifts. I try to say yes to some and no to others. I do not want to work everyday of the week nor do I want people to think I'm a jerk that can not work for anyone. So I try to go for 50/50 when it comes to coming in for others.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So everything started Wednesday when one of my coworkers (I shall call him A) asked me if I could work for him on Thursday. He told me that his grandmother just got diagnosed with cancer. My grandmother had past away last year from the same horrible fate so I understand how he feels. Right away I told him yes I could work his Thursday shift.
Later on that same day, A texts me and tells me that he no longer needs me to cover that shift. I text him back saying "okay, let me know if you need anything." and we left it with that.

Then Friday comes along...
I work my scheduled shift and I'm in a great mood. I'm really happy to have Saturday off because I have a lot planned for it. (Getting my hair done, a doctors appointment, and seeing my bf's family) I had all this planned for 2 weeks. About 3pm. I get a text from A asking me if I could work for him tomorrow (Saturday) and I right away told him that I was sorry but I could not. I planned a lot for Saturday and had confirmed appointments so I just was not able to. He texted me back saying it was okay.

Then A comes in that Friday night while I'm finishing my shift. He's very down in the dumps, isn't talking to me (which is strange seeing how we normally at least talk for a bit but I figured it was about his grandmother, so I gave him his space.) or really anyone at all. He did talk to one of our mangers (I'll call this one B) about his shift on Saturday. Right away I'm being called to the office being told I need to work. I tell B everything that I have going on and that I already told A I could not work for him. I get dismissed.

Before I leave for the day, I stock up to go items and clean up a few messes from my shift. Manager B comes over to me and tells me I am "dead to him" twice. Twice. Over not picking up one shift? I was in shock that he said that to me seeing how B and I get a long very well. I am not sure if he meant this as some sort of joke or not, but I was offended. I do not think a manager should be aloud to say anything like this. He did have a big smile on his face when he said it, but to me, it was not funny and felt cold.

I don't know. I just feel like it was guilt tripping or something like that. Either way, I still ended up not working Saturday and now I am having to work today.

I'm just really wanting to know here if I was in the wrong or if what I did was okay?

Moonlight Champion

You have a few options: One talk to him about it and tell him how you felt. (I had a different situation in retail with a manager and I chose to talk to him about it).

Two: go to a different manager or someone higher up and tell them.

Three: Let it go/shrug it off

I would have taken it as he was mad at me and out of line and would talk to him about it when I was in a 'calm state of mind' I had waited two days to tell my manager what he did, I did not approve of. And he apologized and felt bad and that was the end of that. We were fine again.
Thank you. I really appreciate your advice.
As for manager B, he came in and patted me on the back.
Didn't really say anything to me, but I'm sure he was just mad at the time. If he does not bring it back up to me when I go back tonight, I will drop it.
If he does, I will tell him what he said was not funny nor kind.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff