Welcome to Gaia! ::

Something just came to my attention.

My friend Holly and I were discussing school. I started talking about Spanish class and she goes, "You're only in Spanish II?" Turns out her school in Virginia Beach (She's in eigth grade.) offers languages fror fifth grade on up, starting with mandatory French or Spanish. She also is taking Algebra II, a class I'm taking now. You figure since I'm going to a private high school I'd be getting more out of my education. xd I can just imagine what else she's taking that I had last year or this year. My school's in Philadelphia,by the way.

Discuss
Does your school and do schools in your area seem more behind or advanced?
Culture schock.
Education in general.
Anything relevent.
Wow.

My elementary school didn't offer ANY language programs.

My middle school had French 1A, French 1B, Spanish 1A, Spanish 1B

My high school goes up to Spanish 5, I think, and I don't know what French, and it also offers Mandarin. It used to have Latin and German but I don't think it does anymore. >_>

edit: rofl@ your sig.

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
Private schools generally dont teach as much. xD

Uhm. I'm in England. But from year 7-9 (8th grade to whatever)you HAVE to learn german or french.
You can take german/french/spanish for GCSE.
Then again for A levels.=]
I have no idea how your school system works.
Its rather queer to me.
My elementary school offered zero alternate language courses, though in 5th grade I learned a bit of French 2-3 days per week.

Middle-school only offered Spanish.

High-school offered French and Spanish. That was it. =/ I was hoping for Japanese...

=x My school had piss poor teachers. Enough said. I've learned more sitting in the bathroom than I have at the school I once attended.
My High school only went up to level III of languages.

All together it seemed as if we were behind. Our textbooks (except for the sciences) were old. Just to give you an idea, in 2004 I was in government and our books were from 1984. Yeah, I told you. xp

The teachers were amazing, but it was the materials that lacked.... so their knowledge of their field definitely made the learning experience up to par. whee
I was in Spanish starting from 7th grade... but my dumb a** high school decided to put me in Spanish 1... so I took about four years of Spanish 1 & 2... and now I'm in Spanish 3 for the first time. YAY.

We have to write a thesis-like thing before we graduate. Local papers always come to the school and are like "OMG U RITE A THESIS?"
I know the schools in my area are pretty good. The test scores rank reallly high in the state tests.
And I don't know about my private school. I hear it's harder...but sometimes it just seems a little silly. Maybe it's the WAY they teach us...

And in middle school we were only required to take a language starting in sixth grade. They offered French, Spanish, and Latin.
And in Middle school everyone took Algebra in 8th grade. o.o;
wow that's advanced. im in spanish 2 as well. but i already know two other languages so i'm fine. i wish schools in america would mandate learning another language. i wish i was back home. living here, near washington, d.c. sucks. i only like the museums. (haah kinda random)
A.Dream.Within.A.Dream.
I know the schools in my area are pretty good. The test scores rank reallly high in the state tests.
And I don't know about my private school. I hear it's harder...but sometimes it just seems a little silly. Maybe it's the WAY they teach us...

And in middle school we were only required to take a language starting in sixth grade. They offered French, Spanish, and Latin.
And in Middle school everyone took Algebra in 8th grade. o.o;
Most of our schools have like...I dunno "General Mathematics" up until 8th grade and then in 9th you take Algebra or sometimes Geometry depending on your high school.
I go to a middle school with an advanced program, I took Algebra in 7th grade and now we're doing trig and stuff. It doesn't make any difference what level you are in languages; my school offers Spanish, French, and Japanese, and you are in a class with people from all different program levels. I'm in my 2nd year of Japanese cuz they only start offering languages in 7th grade, but they consider 2 years of middle school foreign language equivalent to 1 year of high school, so I'm going to take Japanese II as a freshman.
Since I live in Canada, we must take French from Grade 1 until Grade 9, (at least in Ontario, I'm not sure about anywhere else), then it's your choice to continue or not. In elementary school, we had French one day a week in the lower grades, and then it was increased in the later grades.
wilde_girl
I go to a middle school with an advanced program, I took Algebra in 7th grade and now we're doing trig and stuff. It doesn't make any difference what level you are in languages; my school offers Spanish, French, and Japanese, and you are in a class with people from all different program levels. I'm in my 2nd year of Japanese cuz they only start offering languages in 7th grade, but they consider 2 years of middle school foreign language equivalent to 1 year of high school, so I'm going to take Japanese II as a freshman.
My school needs more languages. They took away like a Survey of World Languages class and now we have two languages French and Spanish. French is being taken away,though, for Spanish and just for the Freshmen, Latin.
I'm in my fifth year of taking Spanish (which is normal for a student in Unites States I guess), but I feel behind compared to the people I meet from around the world who started learning English in elementary school or even preschool.

Fashionable Phantom

User ImageT N BISCUITZ SAYSUser Image

I'm from Canada. We have to take Core French from Grade 1-9. But, if you want to become officially bi-lingual, then there's a french immersion program that begins at grade 5 and carries on to grade 12.

I took French Immersion, and I was good at it. But once High School came around, I hated all the teachers that taught French. So I stopped taking it.

Now I hardly remember the stuff that I've learned, but I know more than those who were only in Core French.

User ImageThere's a song inside my soul...it's the one that I've tried to write over and over again...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff