Welcome to Gaia! ::

For those of you who saw my other post, yes, this is also contributing towards the class discussion. Relax, Im not getting random online people to do my homework for me razz
Its that I honestly cannot think of any argument for this besides the freedom of choice: That people should be free to choose who and how to love. That and the theory that people are born gay and shouldn't' be held accountable towards something they have no control over.

And to be honest Im actually thinking of abstaining from saying yes or no to this one. The other topics to be debated are a matter of opinion. This one challenges moral convictions upon which those of my belief are challenged. While I personally believe I support it, I cannot bring myself to say yes because that brings into question whether or not I can say yes based upon the moral supposed sin....yes, I think that was vague enough for people to understand my position razz

Anyway, any contribution anyone could make to this at all would help. Although keep in mind I'm still considering saying neither yes nor no.
The reason they should be legal is because there is no valid reason for them to be illegal. We shouldn't need to find a reason why it is good. Straight people never needed a reason. I fail to see how anyone could choose who to be attracted to, and I certainly can't. I don't really understand why you are so uncertain about it.

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I think it should be legal to marry and not just a "joint union" or whatever it is.
People cannot choose who they fall inlove with, it just happens.
Nobody should be told "Oh you're gay you cannot be wed" I mean, who are you to judge? Homosexual behaviour has been happening for a VERY long time so why not let them wed aswell? They aren't hurting anyone are they?

If you were to bring God into this, didn't he say to love your neighbour? Among other things saying everyone is equal, If we're so equal let same sex marriages happen!

On the other hand, if you agree to that because you cannot choose who you love, people may take it too far and complain "I love my pet, I wish to marry him/her" as I think it's either legal or whatever in France but I'm sure I read of how people in France have been marrying pets.
That would lead to, you say it's okay to let homosexuals marry, for equality. But for those who are (There are alot of people really) actually inlove with their pets, it's not right? Not allowed? That wouldn't be fair nor equal.

NOTE: Putting from both sides.Because I agree, but then disagree.
gay marriage is illegal now because "apparently" the christian bible says it's wrong, and that's the ONLY reason it's illegal. but the entire population of the US isn't christian now is it? there should be a separation of church and state, since we claim to anyways.
[Nympho] Whore
I think it should be legal to marry and not just a "joint union" or whatever it is.
Nobody should be told "Oh you're gay you cannot be wed" I mean, who are you to judge? Homosexual behaviour has been happening for a VERY long time so why not let them wed aswell? They aren't hurting anyone are they?

If you were to bring God into this, didn't he say to love your neighbour? Among other things saying everyone is equal, If we're so equal let same sex marriages happen!

On the other hand, if you agree to that because you cannot choose who you love, people may take it too far and complain "I love my pet, I wish to marry him/her" as I think it's either legal or whatever in France but I'm sure I read of how people in France have been marrying pets.
That would lead to, you say it's okay to let homosexuals marry, for equality. But for those who are (There are alot of people really) actually inlove with their pets, it's not right? Not allowed? That wouldn't be fair nor equal.

Non-human animals cannot consent, so it IS fair. It's not like marrying the same sex is such a wild idea. It already happens in some places.
gays deserve the right to marry! its their lives! let them make those types of choices instead of making it illegal. it doesn't hurt anyone and there is no valid excuse to make it illegal. people just dont want them married because they are to narrowminded and wont accept the fact society is changing and refuse to accept gay couples because they're homophobes! scream

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
karra-kun
[Nympho] Whore

Non-human animals cannot consent, so it IS fair. It's not like marrying the same sex is such a wild idea. It already happens in some places.

I'm not supportive of animal marrying BUT it happens and I can imagine that people who are obsessed with their pet wanting it. Animal marriages already happens. I know someone who seriously wants to marry his pet. He is even going to find somewhere to.
Some people I'm not saying it'll be alot but some will think, well I wanna marry who I love, why just because it's not a person shouldn't I be allowed.
Also. Parrots etc CAN consent.
This is a tricky subject. In most of the arguments I've heard against same sex marriage, people tend to bring up the Bible and how wrong it is in God's eyes, but if the government chooses to oppose the union of same sex individuals based on that very argument, then they are treading hypocritically on the issue of separation of Church and State. How can they fight to keep prayer out of the schools, and in the same breath use the Bible as their backing for the opposition of same sex marriage? In my opinion, you can't have it both ways.

I, for one, have no problem with same sex marriage. I feel that if two people wish to pledge their love to one another, then they have the same right to have that union recognized by the state as any other heterosexual couple. There are many reasons why this would prove beneficial to the couples in question - examples including - medical benefits afforded through insurance policies of one or the other via their employment, the issue of the recognized beneficiary on life insurance policies, power of attorney, guardianship, and possible parental rights in the case of step-parents or adoption (just to name a few).

I'm not sure if this helps, or if it even answers your question, but I thought I'd at least put my 2 cents in on the topic. Good luck on the assignment.

Compassionate Borg

People are going to love who they want to love, they always have and always will. No matter how many stupid laws there are about it or whatever religion is against it. No one can really define love because it's different for every person, so how could we put rules on someones individual preferences?

I also believe religion should have no negative affect on someones sexual orientation what so ever. Love is love, why should it matter what we look like or what gender we are just to be able to like someone. :/

But as for people marrying their pets... no. There is no doubt that everyone loves their pets and likes to see them be happy, but marriage is something two people have to agree on, animals aren't as evolved as humans, they can't even talk to us in our language. confused
[Nympho] Whore
karra-kun
[Nympho] Whore

I'm not supportive of animal marrying BUT it happens and I can imagine that people who are obsessed with their pet wanting it. Animal marriages already happens. I know someone who seriously wants to marry his pet. He is even going to find somewhere to.
Some people I'm not saying it'll be alot but some will think, well I wanna marry who I love, why just because it's not a person shouldn't I be allowed.
Also. Parrots etc CAN consent.
I don't know...I mean, I know they can say things, but do they really understand? If so, I don't see the problem. What I was more bothered about was that thinking that allowing same-sex marriages could lead to this. People who are against it use the excuse that it could lead to people asking for all sorts of other rights, but even if it could, that is still not a good reason to stop people marrying members of the same sex.

Sparkly Lunatic

14,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Object of Affection 150
Personally I'm all for equal rights, I see no reason two men or two women who want to make each other family shouldn't have the legal right to do so. Two consenting human adults no matter what gender should have the right to marry, because its fair.
I think "marriage" should be taken out of all legal documents and replaced with the words "civil union". Civil unions would be granted to any two consenting adults who want one.

Marriage could remain as a religious concept, with individual churches determining their standards for the word.
Dark Portrait
I think "marriage" should be taken out of all legal documents and replaced with the words "civil union". Civil unions would be granted to any two consenting adults who want one.

Marriage could remain as a religious concept, with individual churches determining their standards for the word.
I agree with this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces