Welcome to Gaia! ::

Should religion be allowed in PUBLIC schools?

Yes. 0.27777777777778 27.8% [ 10 ]
No. 0.52777777777778 52.8% [ 19 ]
Indifferent 0.19444444444444 19.4% [ 7 ]
Total Votes:[ 36 ]
< 1 2 3 >

I think it's fine to have something like "Comparative Religions" as an elective, but I don't support singling out a specific religion for a course or making religion class(es) a mandatory part of a public school's curriculum.
if they did then ppl would just be more raceist and confused
They should give a prompt description and background of major religions today, but not focus on anything specific
If they're just teaching you ABOUT the religion, and not FORCING you to become apart of it, then I'm fine with that.

Toothsome Conversationalist

I don't think that it's crucial to cover religion in school, but I think that it's ridiculous to disallow its mention in any curriculum. I learned about lots of different religions in public school and feel more enlightened as a result. It's a disservice to children to have religion be a taboo topic.
no
religion should be chosen
not be forced upon people
So far this has helped me alot.I love seeing all of your viewpoints and I can more then likely use the poll for my report be the looks of it so far.xD
thank you all so, so much and keep on talking'!I'll try to keep up.^^
i go to a puplic school and they teach religion. every tuesday we separate into our different classes/religions. theres a non-scripture option so we dont have to participate and there are 7 diffent religions i think. its really good. so that way, its not being forced upon us, but those who want to participate can.

Eloquent Bloodsucker

In teaching religion in schools, many things need to be kept in mind.

First, religion should be taught in religion class, not science or history.
Second, every religion should get a look in. If you're teaching one, you have to teach many. Including - in fact, especially - those ones that are largely misunderstood, such as Satanism.
Third, the religions should be taught in a somewhat objective way, without anything "one true way" or literal truth about them. However, they should also be done justice and taught with respect... but no proselytising, no converting, etc.

One is easy, two and three rather more difficult. While I find comparative religion fascinating, it's easier just to leave it out, or have it as an optional class.
I think religion should not be a forced thing in schools, but I think that it should be an option to those that want to partake. for example, I would love for there to be like an after school religious studies class to take that focused on all the different religions around the world, and on a fact/belief basis, not a Christian "God is great, worship Him or go to hell" thing. Nothing religious should be mandatory, that goes against our first amendment rights, but if it is a personal choice and not hosted by the schools, I see no problem. We had a club a few years back called CLOC, Christian Lions On Campus (our mascot is a lion) and since it was a student based club, i see no problem. As long as school isn't forcing religion on it's students, i don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to have a religious aim in some areas
i believe school should be a neutral place so learning can be done in a stress free environment (unless, the school has "Christian academy" or whatever in its title, then of course they teach whatever views they please)
in a public school that gets most of its money from the government, then religion should be taught as a "subject" in terms that it is sprinkled into history classes when they do units on how the social institutions (aka religion) had effects on the people of that society

it can be done without forcing ideas on people

Invisible Explorer

P A Z U Z U-G A S M I C
Of course.
I am taking a world history class and a lot of the stuff in the class is about 'RELIGION'.
It's not a bad word. It's not an ugly word. It shouldn't be taboo in school.
Look, I don't think they should be teaching Creationism in science class.
But there is sure is a place for it in a history class.
I'm not saying teach Christianity as the 'truth'. I'm saying teach all religion as a form of education.
Hell, I'm a proud atheist but I find Islam and Buddhism just damn near the more interesting subjects on earth.
Religion is a big part of human development and should be taught in subjects like world study or American history.
But, classes like Bible Study should be electives. If I don't want to sit through a who class of God is great. God is good.' I shouldn't have to. But when religion and it's origiens pertain to the class, why not?

I wholeheartedly agree. My 7th grade science class had to skip the chapter about evolution because it might offend the religious people. That's bullshit. I don't care if it's about God or Darwin -- if it's in the text book just teach it.

But no, I don't believe it should be required for students to attend things like church sessions. Also I have nothing against teaching theology as an elective. I wish I could've had that.

4,650 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
no way because some of the people around dont believe in religion or different ines and it would be either very difficult to find a school that fits ur religion or some that simply cant get an education
I think it should be acknowledged, but not forced. Kind of like having the option to take a bible study or torah study class in school - not required, but it's still there as an option.
If a kid IS religious and they want to study their religion or another, then thats okay.
If a kid ISN'T religious and doesn't want much to do with it, thats okay too, as long as neither think of the other as less of a person because they're religious/non-religious.
Abusive Mana
If the school can cover all religions in the world then sure.
It shouldn't focus on just one.
Yup. Either that, it would be a no. There's a reason churches and so forth exist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff