Welcome to Gaia! ::

Right, so, while I am full well aware that this could turn into a debate of its own accord, its purpose is to provide my argument (against) with ammunition for an upcoming class debate on the very issue. Im very much stuck and none of my other friends have been able to contribute anything aside from these three:

- people shouldn't be taking things to alter their state of mind/body when it isn't yet fully developed
- Reduces the risk of people going for license having easier access to alcohol - so a road safety thing
- That it alters awareness and level of judgment and that people under the age of 18 should not put themselves in so precarious a position

I would love to hear your thoughts on it, whether for or against, however biggrin
The younger the age limit is set, the younger people will start to drink.
For eg: 18 is Legal - but 14 yr olds get it.
If 14yr was legal, 10 year olds would get it.
hell no it should not it couses enough problems as it is. the last thing we need is alchoholics at ages as teens hell no. sorry kids its for your own good. neutral
******** no! teenagers are stupid as it is, no need to add something to make it worse. I admit, I'm not 21 and I still drink on occasion, but if I was legally allowed to buy alcohol at my age, I'd be drinking a lot more often than I should. and besides, teenagers are a lot more willing to buy things for the younger kids than an adult.
Koji_magyar
f**k no! teenagers are stupid as it is, no need to add something to make it worse. I admit, I'm not 21 and I still drink on occasion, but if I was legally allowed to buy alcohol at my age, I'd be drinking a lot more often than I should. and besides, teenagers are a lot more willing to buy things for the younger kids than an adult.

So you see it as a question of maturity more than anything else?
I could include that, but not to the suitable strength I'd like to have in an argument.
MattyIsSexOnWheels
Right, so, while I am full well aware that this could turn into a debate of its own accord, its purpose is to provide my argument (against) with ammunition for an upcoming class debate on the very issue. Im very much stuck and none of my other friends have been able to contribute anything aside from these three:

- people shouldn't be taking things to alter their state of mind/body when it isn't yet fully developed
- Reduces the risk of people going for license having easier access to alcohol - so a road safety thing
- That it alters awareness and level of judgment and that people under the age of 18 should not put themselves in so precarious a position

I would love to hear your thoughts on it, whether for or against, however biggrin

I'm against alcohol being sold to minors. They are not mature and developed enough to make conscious decisions. The fact that the age -is- 21, is set for a reason. 21 you are an adult and therefore should be treated as such. If you cannot go without a drink until you are 21, go to A.A.

The law is the law, and has been put in place due to surveys, expert opinions, and petitioners. If you are under the legal age, why do you need to drink. Why do people need to drink anyway.

P.S: For the most part, it's irresponsible teens that cause most alcohol-involved accidents. Do you want more?
It is legal in most countries, including mine. I think 21 is ridiculously over bearing.
If you think about it the biggest responsibilty anyone can have in this world is for another life, and the 'legal' age for sex is 16. How can someone EVER be responsible enough to have a child but not be responsible enough to drink alcohol. It's madness.

4,350 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
I think it should be raised to 21. Except ONE drink (pint beer/glass of wine) with a meal from 16+
People now a days binge drink all the time. Lowering the drinking age is just gonna cause even more road accidents, death from drinking too much.
Plus it isn't a necessity of life, we don't actually need it.
[Nympho] Whore
I think it should be raised to 21. Except ONE drink (pint beer/glass of wine) with a meal from 16+
People now a days binge drink all the time. Lowering the drinking age is just gonna cause even more road accidents, death from drinking too much.
Plus it isn't a necessity of life, we don't actually need it.

one drink with a meal?
that would never work.
Imagine that one annoying kid at school, the one you HATE.
now imagine them drunk and being annoying. Exactly.
No.
'Cause then the death rate would go higher,
and Hospitals would be over-filled.
jun denkei
Imagine that one annoying kid at school, the one you HATE.
now imagine them drunk and being annoying. Exactly.

Well that wouldn't really matter to me, since the person I hate doesn't even talk to me.
Plus, we have security guards at the front of my school who have breathalizers (sp?).
Nope, one of the reason's they raised the drinking age to begin with a while ago, was because your liver doesn't develop fully until your twenty's... and the more you drink when your younger... the less your liver will take when your older which can eventually be BAD!

Dainty Doll

No, I don't think it should be sold to under 18s.

Simply because alcohol should only be consumed responsibly.

If you let teenagers buy it themselves, they can buy as much of it as they like.
It can sometimes difficult for a grown adult to judge when they've had too much alcohol, never mind a teenager whose body and brain are still developing.
Alcohol can be a very dangerous substance, and an excess of it can lead to alcohol poisoning and even death.

Although I'm not saying that teenagers shouldn't be allowed to drink (not buy) alcohol at all.
Personally, I plan on allowing any children I have in the future, to drink at home, when I am there, from the age of 16.
That way, I will be able to supervise, and teach them how to drink responsibly, and they can get used to feeling a little "out of control" in a safe environment.

That way, by the time they're old enough to buy alcohol for themselves, they will be informed enough to drink responsibly and safely.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff