Welcome to Gaia! ::

Okay, I'm kinda freaking out now. I've noticed that I simply can't open some jars and bottles.
I thought it may have been because I'm weak, but some of my friends, who are considerably weaker than me, open them when I can't.
Then I thought I was twisting the caps the wrong way, but I can't do it, no matter which direction I'm turning it.
It's really weird. I know that there are quite a few people out there who find it impossible to open jars and bottles. There must be some kind of knack to it that we're not getting.
I know that there's the whole joke of a strong guy trying to open a jar and his girlfriend opening it for him with ease, but I never thought it happened like that IRL.
So, are you like me? Is opening a jar or bottle a difficult task for you?
If not, is there some sort of trick to it? For you "easy openers" out there, not for people like me. I know about the banging against things and running the jar/bottle under hot water techniques.
It's all about gripping it in your palm instead of your fingers.
Try opening it with a cloth between the lid and your hand, it helps you grip it easier and stops you from friction burning your hand.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
I do something you really shouldn't to open jars and bottles. I use my teeth, I bite on the lid and twist.
bathroom_thinker
I do something you really shouldn't to open jars and bottles. I use my teeth, I bite on the lid and twist.

Doesn't work with jars. Very effective on bottles.
try to put the bottle's tap you wish to open for 1 or 2 seconds (no more) into the fire, and then try to open it, sometimes its much easier
Easy way to open a jar is to lift the lid with a knife etc so that some air gets in and then it's a lot easier to open.

Invisible Conversationalist

9,950 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Brandisher 100
8bit Pulses
bathroom_thinker

Doesn't work with jars. Very effective on bottles.
Yeah the jars, it doesn't go over so well and you get a mouth full of metal and paint. Yet some how that has never stopped me from trying confused but than I just take a knife to it and stab a hole.
heart

Sometimes, it is hard for me. But all you have to do is et a dry, rubber glove and try to twist it. That usually works for me.

heart
I can usually open things, but it depends what it is. If the contents of the container get under the lid from use and solidify, I have a hard time. I either run the lid under hot water and/or lightly rap it against the edge of the counter to loosen this crud up.

Feral Mystic

21,325 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Timid 100
I can usually open bottles and jars...

But I have had times where I gave up and handed someone else the item and said "...Open it yourself *twitch*"
1) Grip the bottle/jar lid with your palm and push down while you twist.

Or

2) Turn the bottle/jar upside down and smack the bottom with the heel of your hand, and then turn it rightside up and then do step 1.

I just use one of those rubber thingys if I cant get it to open.

seeing a topic about the detailed explanation of opening of a bottle..this is a first o_o
I use a bottle opener for everything. Get one!
We used to have this rubber thing you up over the cap while you turn it, which worked really well, but we misplaced it. And we can't find a new one ANYWHERE!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff