Welcome to Gaia! ::

Precious Hellraiser

12,425 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
  • Champion 300
I feel like age is more of a bench-mark.

Eloquent Conversationalist

madatthebullys
GoddessDivine
madatthebullys
Well, it isnt a good indicator of intelligence or maturity if that is what your asking.
As a general rule of thumb it works pretty well that a 20 year old isn't going to have the wisdom or maturity of a 50 year old. Of course there are exceptions, but that's why I said general rule.
If you mean wisdom as experience yes, but that isnt the same as intelligence and knowledge.
Although you can gain both through experience.

Eloquent Conversationalist

madatthebullys
GoddessDivine
madatthebullys
GoddessDivine
madatthebullys
Well, it isnt a good indicator of intelligence or maturity if that is what your asking.
As a general rule of thumb it works pretty well that a 20 year old isn't going to have the wisdom or maturity of a 50 year old. Of course there are exceptions, but that's why I said general rule.
If you mean wisdom as experience yes, but that isnt the same as intelligence and knowledge.
Although you can gain both through experience.
Or lose it through lack of. A good college student has a much larger base of knowledge with an older person would have a much smaller base, but have expertise on certain things. Still, experience doesn't increase knowledge near as fast as active learning. Age doesn't indicate amount of active learning done or information retention at all.
I'm being contrary at this point, ignore me. :p

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
Raven Winter
The College Student
Raven Winter
Age is... how old you are?

19. I'm about to turn 20 next week. :l

No, I mean that's what age is. It's nothing more nor less than a measure of the time you've lived since birth. It's not "just a number" insofar as it is not arbitrary and is generally considered to hold some value; however, most of the time it's not especially relevant to daily life and, outside specific activities, need not be considered.

Of course, I get the sense that while I took this in a very general way, you meant to narrow it specifically to the realm of with whom you may and may not copulate.
you remind me of bones. like, completely logical and no emotions shine through ever. it's interesting.

Destitute Smoker

3,900 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tax Evader 100
  • Wall Street 200
britt1110
I feel like age is more of a bench-mark.
for example, if you hit age 18 and you're still a whiny b***h, you might as well not even be an adult.

Shaggy Noob

as long as youre 18+ it is i guess.....

Tasty Treat

13,225 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Falling For You 25
It is just a number. I mean.. there are a ton of adults who act like they're still in high school.

Dapper Dabbler

10,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Mark Twain 100
The College Student
I think it's just a number... however, it does depend if it's legal or not. A 12 year old dating a 20 year old? I don't think so. That's completely different and completely illegal. Age is just a number when you're over the age of 18 and older, because that's when you're legally an adult.

It depends on the people.

It matters. In what way & to what degree is a per person kinda thing, but. Yeah, it matters.
SirPuzzle
The College Student
I think it's just a number... however, it does depend if it's legal or not. A 12 year old dating a 20 year old? I don't think so. That's completely different and completely illegal. Age is just a number when you're over the age of 18 and older, because that's when you're legally an adult.

So age is not just a number until a person turns 18 at which case age magically becomes just a number?

So what if in another country adulthood is at age 16 or 14?

And what if two people who are 16 and 14 frequently travel between these 3 countries? That would mean that sometimes their age is just a number, and sometimes it isn't.

Furthermore the key thing to notice here is that if you're basing your claim off of laws in a specific country, that means you determine whether age is "just a number" or not depending on the geographic area in which a person is located in. Meaning the actual characteristics of the person no longer are a relevant variable in determining whether they are an adult.

Point being I don't think your opinion is even coherent, because it is not even about analyzing the actual characteristics of the individual person and comparing them to some abstract criteria of what you think an adult is. Rather you are just accepting some arbitrary law that changes depending on which location the person finds them in therefore the entire concept of "adult" becomes nothing about the who the person is but rather it's all about where the person is.

Also "age is just a number" no it isn't, age is not just integer that we assign to people that is abstract/arbitrary. Age correlates very highly with real empirical traits people have that we can measure. Age isn't just a number at all, it's actually a symbolic representation of concrete and real non arbitrary things about a person.

And this fact does not magically disappear once you become a legal adult, age is still more than a number even when you are an adult.
What about in China? This guy is dating 12 year girl and he's an adult. I hope I'm saying the right information. He said he would marry her when she is an adult.

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
yes, it is.

and jail is just a room.
The College Student
SirPuzzle
The College Student

So age is not just a number until a person turns 18 at which case age magically becomes just a number?

So what if in another country adulthood is at age 16 or 14?

And what if two people who are 16 and 14 frequently travel between these 3 countries? That would mean that sometimes their age is just a number, and sometimes it isn't.

Furthermore the key thing to notice here is that if you're basing your claim off of laws in a specific country, that means you determine whether age is "just a number" or not depending on the geographic area in which a person is located in. Meaning the actual characteristics of the person no longer are a relevant variable in determining whether they are an adult.

Point being I don't think your opinion is even coherent, because it is not even about analyzing the actual characteristics of the individual person and comparing them to some abstract criteria of what you think an adult is. Rather you are just accepting some arbitrary law that changes depending on which location the person finds them in therefore the entire concept of "adult" becomes nothing about the who the person is but rather it's all about where the person is.

Also "age is just a number" no it isn't, age is not just integer that we assign to people that is abstract/arbitrary. Age correlates very highly with real empirical traits people have that we can measure. Age isn't just a number at all, it's actually a symbolic representation of concrete and real non arbitrary things about a person.

And this fact does not magically disappear once you become a legal adult, age is still more than a number even when you are an adult.
What about in China? This guy is dating 12 year girl and he's an adult. I hope I'm saying the right information. He said he would marry her when she is an adult.

I don't understand your question. Furthermore I don't know anything about the laws of adulthood in China, but let's say for the sake of argument that 12 years old was the adult age at China.

Under your mindset, that would be okay because "age is just a number" when people become a legal adult.

Point being, why are you asking me this question when you should be asking it to yourself and all the people who say "age is just a number."

I'm not the one advocating the belief that adulthood is based upon some arbitrary law that is different depending on which country you're in, you're the one who is advocating that belief.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff