Welcome to Gaia! ::

Edgy Trash

cisslinger
i dont think i have an eating disorder, but i do do a lot of disordered eating, ahaha. mostly ill go throughout the day with no food whatsoever and not much water either. ill have an appetite but i have literally no interest in food. im pretty sure its just a result of clinical depression. then in the evening i eat a ton, and i always feel awful afterward.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

If you have depression, Vade, and you're still continuing your "disordered eating", then it sounds remarkably like whatever medication you're taking, or should be taking, isn't working out for you. Such eating habits are unhealthy, and I'd know, because I've been there.

Space Phantom

10,900 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hive Mind 200
I've come pretty close to developing one. My mom and her mom have dealt with eating disorders and still do (they're telling my grandma she needs to gain weight, and she says the doctors are trying to 'turn her into a fat cow'.)
Both are very vain and place lots of emphasis on a woman's appearance and that she should have a perfect figure no matter how old she is or her state of health (you should look like a supermodel swallowed a basketball when you're pregnant, and gain your figure back once you give birth), or no one will find her desirable.
And the reason I've come close is because they'll tell me that I've 'let myself go' since I got married, and have even told my husband he should withhold sex until I weigh what I should (my mom said 115 and not a pound more, and her mom insists that I'll look beautiful at that weight, but I know my body well enough to know I'll look sick, not pretty). They both seem to insist they know what's best for me, and that is to be skinny, and say I used to be pretty, but I recall they've always told me I needed to lose more weight to lose the pooch of my belly and eat healthier, but now they're denying they've ever said that.
It affects me in a way. I know if I really take what they have to say to heart, I'll starve myself and/or exercise to exhaustion, and it still won't be enough (I'm sure I'll still look 'fat and gross', and my husband must be blind or desperate if he wants to touch me. I shouldn't kill myself to impress people who will never be happy). Plus, I'll be setting a bad example for my daughter (this is reminding me why I initially didn't want to have a girl). The cycle has to end somewhere, and I'm determined to do that instead of make it her responsibility. She deserves and probably would rather have a happy mother than a skinny one.
I've skimmed over a lot of text and picked up some interesting things in here.
1. Most of you here, who have an eating disorder, is because OTHER people made you think you're overweight.
2. You start to not eat at all and exercise at the same time.
3. Irregular eating patterns.

All of it is the WORST thing you can do to your body, hence why it is an disorder.
First of all: Seek help from a professional, whether that be a psychologist or a nutritionist, doesn't matter, get help. Or try to find a support group, who can help you as well.

I used to have a very irregular eating pattern. Didn't eat until lunch, only ate grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch and then just dinner. No snacks, no extra's just that.
But I did exercise a lot beside that and would result in me feeling ill, dizzy, on the verge of fainting.
This weird eating pattern was caused by a sudden depression that hit me after getting out of an abusive relationship. I lost 22 pounds in 2 weeks, which toppled me into being underweight and that was alarming, since I was already considered to be a bit on the skinny side with my normal weight.

Now, I start my day with coffee at 6:30, eat at 10am, (2 croissants with cheese and some juice), eat lunch at a 11:45, which is usually a sandwich with all sorts of toppings. (My favourite is lettuce, brie cheese, tomato, cucumber, honey and roasted pine nuts.) Along with a soda and a candy bar for sugars. I have another snack at 14:15, which depends, it's usually a slice or two of gingerbread for fibres and sugars. Then I can have a fruity/vegetable snack at 16:00 and I usually have dinner at 19:00 or 20:00. Which is your average vegetables, potatoes and some meat. And after dinner I can have some snacks like crisps, cookies or something, but I usually just resort to tea with a biscuit and that's my day.
I work of course (quite heavy physical labour), hence why I eat at such odd hours. And I exercise after work. (Nothing too excessive, just taking care of my pets, taking them out for walks and things, some weight lifting because of them etc. which is considered to be exercise.)

It took me about a year to get those 22 pounds back. (I should've gone to a nutritionist back then, but I didn't think of that. YAY depression!)
My weight has been consistent for about 2 or 3 years now. I eat junkfood whenever I feel like it. (Which is about once or twice a week.) I don't calorie count, because I'm too lazy to figure that s**t out. I eat whatever I feel like, drink alcohol on some weekends, eat quite some sugar on weekends too.

I don't gain extra weight, because I stop eating when I'm full. My exercise helps me too and I just listen to my body.
If I'm hungry, I eat more, if I'm not that hungry, I eat less.
And my hunger is based on what I do during the day. Regular workday means regular food intake. If I don't work and laze about all day: I'll eat significantly less. If I am on holiday (which means I'm either at the beach and awful lot or the woods, just hiking, horsebackriding, cycling etc) I'll eat more, because I burn more calories than usual.

Anywho, this is my two cents on it and how you can help yourself. Eating disorders are usually caused by something. Whether that is peer pressure from society or some other ailment.
You can over come it, get the help you need. Maintain a healthy balanced* diet and try to exercise what is comfortable with you.

*Healthy doesn't mean you can only eat vegetables and superfoods. Healthy means that you're allowed to have a snack attack, but balance it out with more fibres, more vitamins and exercise afterwards.

Greedy Giver

I used to although I never considered it an eating disorder, but it kinda was... I never completely starved myself, I would still eat at least one actual meal everyday so I didn't think that counted as anorexia. Maybe it doesn't really, but I had a poor body image (for some stupid reason, mostly bullying I think), and I wouldn't eat much because of it and I felt guilty when I did eat too much. I still have a love/hate relationship with food. I really love really good food, I love to cook, I love taking something strait from the garden or skinning a rabbit before I turn it into a delicious meal. At the same time, since I was a kid I've had trouble eating when I'm in a bad mood (when I'm sad or nervous or generally upset/overwhelmed/stressed-out) and I still can't eat a lot at one time... at least, not without something that gives me the munchies, then I eat normally, not to mention it cuts down on the anxiety that effects my appetite, but I guess this isn't really about that.

There are lots of things already in the media about the extremes of eating disorders, purging until your teeth fall out, starving until you loose consciousness, taking it so far that someone who's 5-7 weighs about 75lbs and looks like a holocaust victim, but I've never really read/seen/heard anything about that grey area. If you want to write about a story that explores those extremes, it might be made more interesting to include a character that explores the grey area, nothing is all black and white.

Girl-Crazy Lunatic

10,750 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Timid 100
  • Clambake 200
ED is a good thing to write a story about; just don't get too heavy-handed about how you present it, or it can easily turn into sounding like soapboxing.

Best of luck!

Questionable Prophet

11,950 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
What are you looking for, exactly?

For me, at my lowest, I was 89 pounds. I felt pretty shitty, honestly, and I thought I looked great. My thighs didn't touch. I had pointy hip bones. That "bikini bridge." But I look back on pictures and cringe. My collarbones are what I notice most.

And no one but my current boyfriend told me I needed to change.

My eating habits were bad. I ran a lot. I'd only eat a small portion of supper when my mom came home. That's all. And I drank a lot of water.

But my doctor was a total dunce. She kept pushing junk food and ice cream. She told me I needed to gain weight, but not really with healthy habits.

Anyway, with my boyfriend's help, I got out of the bad habits. But I'm at the other end of the spectrum now, and trying to lose weight. So. Life is hard. xd

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
I think you'd like the movie "welcome to the quiet room" It's pretty good and mentions eating disorders :3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff