Welcome to Gaia! ::

ya i have a speech in history class on tuesday. i already have the paper written in black ink, but i just have difficulty memorizing it. (i have read it over to myself many times) once i think i have it, my mind goes blank.

so what is your technique(s) for memorizing something?
I always start memorizing from the end... A strong finish can compensate for other troubles along the way.

I write down the entire speech on index cards. I don't fill the entire index card, I kind of start and end it at points that I think are interesting or easy to remember.

i then memorize each index card. I don't move on to the next one until I say it from memory perfectly.
Then for my second one, I won't move on to the third one until I say both the first index card and the second index card together perfectly.

It takes a while, but it is really effective. You get confident, which is the most important thing.
Great Googlie Moogly

I write down the entire speech on index cards. I don't fill the entire index card, I kind of start and end it at points that I think are interesting or easy to remember.

i then memorize each index card. I don't move on to the next one until I say it from memory perfectly.
Then for my second one, I won't move on to the third one until I say both the first index card and the second index card together perfectly.

It takes a while, but it is really effective. You get confident, which is the most important thing.
ok thanks. oh and i am allowed to take 2 note cards with me during my speech, but they must be notes. i'll follow your advice and do the index card thing for practice though.

sille_sammy's Spouse

Dapper Gekko

8,700 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Person of Interest 200
well i dont know how strict ur teacher is but mine usually lets me semi cheat if i dont make it obvious. ill find the parts that i rele just cant remember and write down a word that makes me think of it on my hand. either that or ill find some way to relate all of the diff sections to sumtn in the room that mite help me remember it. another way is have a friend help u out by having a copy of ur essay and he/she can mouth what you forgot at you.

of course my teachers are overly nice as far as these things go so i dont know how much im helpin. good luck heart

Distinct Explorer

Don't memorize, ad lib.
Just memorize key points you want to say in the speech and the general order you want the speech in.
This format allows for a more free flowing and natural speech that can adapt to questions or time restraints.
It also keeps the listener's attention because to do an ad lib speech, one must have some energy.

However, if you actually must memorize the report, then:
- learn the opening and closings first (creates direction in ones mind).
- Memorize the First sentences of each paragraph, then get the main flavor of the following sentences (one's mind generally fills in gaps easily)
- practice it in front of family a few times
- practice in front of a mirror.
I write down everything a few times. anything I write down, I remember for at least a few days
Break it up into little chunks, write it a few times, and practice reading it. :3
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.Know that your peers will be judging you.
And you should be nervous.
But you'll be less nervous if prepared.

Study hard, out of feeeear.
I usually what works for me.

6,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
Memorize pieces of it at a time. Then as you learn the newer pieces, add it on to what you already know. Maybe even practice with a friend or family member so they can make sure you don't skip large chunks of it.

O.G. Gaian

26,090 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
first set them in blocks, like

if the paragraphs talk about something different,
so number the paragraphs
then on note cards right down that like have the paragraph number on the top left,
and right down the paragraph, then memorize it like that,
and for your notes,
have a word or sentence summing up that paragraph. which will help you memorize the concept of it.
The easiest way for me to memorize the speech is after writing it up, take an index card and write down the main points. At least then you'll know what your main points are and if you need to write down statistics or dates go ahead and do that as subpoints to the notes you take for the speech.

Then all you need to do is really memorize or summerize your intro and ending to yourself and you should have a speech smile
I took a public speaking class during my freshman year of college... We could use notecards, but we couldn't read off of them, and we had to keep our glances at them to a minimum.

I just practiced in front of a mirror for a really long time. It was hard, though, because I was living with my boyfriend at the time and I didn't want him to watch/hear me.
Practice your speech in front of people. It will help you organize your thoughts when you practice and help you correct anything that sounds wrong/bad.
I don't know...i've always had a nack for memorizing things. Just have to read it once or twice aloud and I usually remember it. -shrugs-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff