Welcome to Gaia! ::

Marcus Junius Brutus
d a s A r t i f e x
Marcus Junius Brutus
d a s A r t i f e x
Marcus Junius Brutus
Why doesn't he just drop out?
Political "science" and philosophy are hardly college degrees that guarantee a job.

Having any college degree at all doesn't guarantee a job.

Some come a whole lot closer than others.
You ever meet an unemployed person with a degree in petroleum engineering?

To be honest, I haven't met very many employed people, aside from those who have had the same job for thirty to forty years, and those people didn't even go to college.

Welp, lemme tell you, odds are if you've got a degree in pet. eng., you've got job offers all lined up just because of that piece of paper.

A lot of jobs are thanks to networking though. Always helps to have some inside support.

Amen, bruh.

Dapper Conversationalist

The only serious/semi-serious relationships I've really had were with people from school. This means that their career goals are similar to mine. So I can't exactly complain. ha

I was really proud of my ex for finishing his thesis on time against the odds. It was good work too. Really well written, and astounding considering the speed with which he got it done. I don't think he should have done anything else even though he still bemoans his decision to be a poor student. He couldn't live with himself if he'd stayed with the military or went to work for Blackwater. He may never be the next Peter Singer, but I don't see him being remotely happy pursuing anything else.

My current partner is...kind of brilliant. I've never been with anyone obviously brighter than me. It's a strange feeling, feeling like the novice. She's planning on going to med school once she's done the PhD. And while I understand she's fed up with it, I think she's a really good prof and academic. She'd also be a great doctor.

Dapper Conversationalist

K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a
Marcus Junius Brutus
Why doesn't he just drop out?
Political "science" and philosophy are hardly college degrees that guarantee a job.

The cynical side of me kind of wonders that too, but I realize that most of it is just spite....

I'm hoping that he'll find something he does want to do, and the very least he could do is try a couple classes. So going to school is something at least. Community college might be a better thing to think of rather than a full blown 4 year degree university for this though.
I'm a little biased(phil major here) but philosophy and political science aren't totally useless. Is he interested in politics? He could perhaps be a civil servant? There are jobs out there for people with these majors.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

Do you support your partner's career choice?
-I am single but yes, I always support my partner's choices in life.

If your partner is currently working within their career, are you proud of their work?
-I'm proud if they're proud with what they do and feel they have achieved something.

More general, what are you most proud of your partner for?
-Lol single emotion_awesome

Have there ever been times in your relationship where you wish they would've made a different choice?
-Yes. Sometimes it's hard for me to try to be supportive all the time. Sometimes I find their decisions to be a little... wrong for me, but then again it's always a learning experience. I let them make their own mistakes and give my opinion if I'm asked about it.
Success and happiness are completely dependent on each individual, and it's not like it's a straight path either. Sometimes you have to go through a lot of obstacles to understand what you want in life, so while I might think their decision is wrong, maybe they feel confident enough about it and that's what matters.

Greedy Cat

Absolutely.
If your partner is currently working within their career, are you proud of their work?
Very much so.
Being freaking smart, an amazing and successful artist, and a wonderful father.
Have there ever been times in your relationship where you wish they would've made a different choice?
Yes. Most of the time I support him in what he wants to do, since he's a very reasonable person and doesn't do anything he isn't too certain about, but one or two things he did had a lot of impact on his career that I wished he would've held on. But in the end, I respect his decisions because he's been in the business for a long time and knows what he's capable of better than anyone else.

Devoted Pirate

K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a

Have more than one partner but that is okay..
On a whole I am proud of all my partners. Each of them is doing what they want to do, and generally happy with it. E is back at school (so happy for them!) A is taking leadership classes within their company, C is basically assistant manager at his new job with the means of attaining a higher management position easily. M. is off to a psych conference and on his way to an internship within the field he generally wants to be in. Each of my partners is unique and super awesome on their own.

I think there have been times when I would have wished for someone to take a different path but it worked out in the end so I have little to complain about.

Quotable Lunatic

8,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
Off-topic: Woo! Another female computer science major! Last week I told someone I was in comp. sci. and she looked at me and said "Woah, you're like a unicorn! I'd heard about you but never thought you actually existed!" sweatdrop

My partner is in university with me, so that's good. His dream is to become a lawyer, and I think he'd be the best goddamn lawyer ever (The guy is stubborn as a mule and loves to debate...). I'm wholeheartedly supporting him!

For not caring about what other people think of him. His best friends all say they want to be lawyers too, but when they're out partying on weeknights (and subsequently failing midterms), he's home studying, because he really wants this.

He relies pretty heavily on my approval, so it would actually be great to see him have more confidence in his own choices, but I digress... No, so far, he's made a lot of really great, sensible decisions. He lives at home instead of moving out with his buddies so he can save money, his grades are incredible and he pursues a lot of his other passions, like writing, on the side.

I was in the same situation you're currently in with my ex a few years ago. He was a year out of high school, had no idea what he wanted and was basically set to drift.... and drift he did. He now works in a warehouse he despises and as far as I know, his only hobby is cultivating his festering psychosis. See? Things could be worse!

In all seriousness, though, have your guy spend some serious time thinking about the career he wants. Is there any way he could job-shadow a few people and find out what some of these fields are really like?
K-r-e-v-y-e-t-k-a

You said he likes liberal arts and the sciences. Then you made it more specific and said he mainly likes political science and philosophy.

First of all is he only getting a 4 year degree? For example lots of law students have a B.A. in political science and philosophy. However I would be skeptical going to law school, there's a lot of people going into law school and lots of lawyers are unemployed right now.

If he's only going to get a 4 year degree, has he ever taken a class on economics? Economics is a social science, but it also requires calculus so it's practical as well. He could become a stock broker or something with an econ degree or get into business.

Does your partner hate math? If he absolutely despises math and refuses to take calculus (even though in my opinion everyone could do calculus and pass it) then perhaps he should consider getting a degree in accounting? Accounting is a great 4 year degree, in my opinion it's one of the best. It arguably may be even better than an engineering degree, as long as he gets his CPA (Certified Public Accountant).

Also just a side note, I understand you being concerned about what he's going to major in, but I would also take some time to do research. For example, a few days ago I just read a news article on the "Best paying 4 year degrees in 2011" and although polici and philosophy weren't in the top 20, economics was. Furthermore, the article even said that right now according to the stats they have, poli sci and philosophy degrees are better paying than a standard business degree.

Also contrary to conventional wisdom, 4 year degrees in the hard sciences like biology, chemistry, biochem, and physics aren't good 4 year degrees. Apparently the problem with the hard sciences is that everyone these days just wants someone at least with a masters, preferably a PHD. People with 4 year degrees in the hard sciences end up doing some crappy tech job that pays like $10-$15 dollars an hour.

I'm just pointing this out, because I think there's lots of misconceptions about what bachelor degrees are good and what aren't. If I were you and I were really serious about this, I'd do some research before jumping to conclusions.

EDIT: If he isn't a realist, why doesn't he go beyond a bachelors in whatever he's interested in? He could get a PHD in philosophy or poli sci and become a professor. Professors get paid pretty decently and they get benefits to.

I'm not saying professors aren't realists, but being a "realistic" person isn't exactly a necessary trait to have to be a professor compared to say a career like being an accountant or businessman which requires being realistic.

5,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
Quote:

Yes, and he supports mine.

Quote:

Somewhat to a degree, I am proud of him for what he does but I also worry about him due to the nature of it.

Quote:

His academic successes and attention to authentic detail. His mind heart

Quote:

Not that I can recall.

Tipsy Trash

12,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
Love knows not its own depth...

Do you support your partner's career choice?/If your partner is currently working within their career, are you proud of their work?
Absolutely. It was my fiance's life's dream to be a Marine. Who wouldn't be proud of that? biggrin

His determination. That's... the best way I can put it.

Well yeah. The distance and (at times) lack of communication can be hard to deal with.

...Until the hour of separation.
I think your boyfriend's going to be fine. What people major in often has very little to do with the job they actually end up getting. Boyfriend1 majored in, like, Norse mythology, and is a sysadmin making ridiculous money. Boyfriend2 majored in ... biochemistry and history, I think? ... and is a grant writer/machinist. My dad majored in history; became a trust accounts officer at a bank. My mother majored in economics; became a technical writer. One of my housemates went to art school and studied painting; she's a special ed teacher now.

It's more important that he learn the meta-skills: sticking to deadlines, being able to communicate with authority figures and deliver what they want, time/energy management, networking. Any sufficiently challenging course of study will give him that.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff