Welcome to Gaia! ::

Do you think doctors are underpaid?

Yes 0.22448979591837 22.4% [ 11 ]
No 0.77551020408163 77.6% [ 38 ]
Total Votes:[ 49 ]
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

A recent study by Medscape revealed that 49% of doctors believe they're not fairly compensated. Of primary care physicians, this percentage increases to 54%.

Physician salary ranges from $315,000 for orthopedic surgeons to a low of $156,000 for pediatricians.

Sounds pretty good right?

I used to think so until I decided to become a surgeon.

I will dedicate the rest of 20s and most of 30s to becoming a doctor.
Have 150-200k of debt.
In 2020 I will legally be a doctor, but wont get a doctor level salary until I finish my 6-8 year residency. During your residency you make about 10 bucks an hour but you work about 80 hours a week so it comes out to about 50k a year.

I will be operating on people making about the same I do now as a cashier.

If I'm a doctor in 2020 I will be 31.
I will be 37-39 at the end of my residency.
I pretty much wont be making money until my 40s.

Discuss the lifestyle of doctors.
Do you want to be a doctor?
How well do you think your compensated for your work?
Are you currently a student? Major?
How much school have your completed? How much do you have left?
What are your career goals?

User Image
On Death Spiral
Jesse Troy
User Image

ummm

Last night I made a topic about the lifestyle of a doctor and a couple minutes ago I made one about the presidential election. Both were moved to the chatter box in seconds.

Adored Admirer

After paying for nothing more than an X-ray to see if I had damaged my thoracic vertebrae, and that there was nothing wrong, um no, I don't think so. Such is the life of a doctor anyway. If you don't like the pay, don't go for the career. I sure as heck wouldn't do it because it looks complicating and wearisome.

Chatty Fatcat

8,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Elocutionist 200
Jesse Troy
On Death Spiral
Jesse Troy
User Image

ummm

Last night I made a topic about the lifestyle of a doctor and a couple minutes ago I made one about the presidential election. Both were moved to the chatter box in seconds.
Our forum does not have an admin to watch over the moderators like the other ones do.

Bara Doge's Queen

Omnipresent Senshi

My brother gets nothing for saving lives.
It's so sad. Good thing he's gonna finish his residency.
He's 32.

Swashbuckling Conversationalist

10,400 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
The only reason why doctors would feel underpaid is because there's nothing left in their paychecks after they pay all their insurances.

Alien Duck

I was talking to a couple friends the other day who are doing medical degrees. The residencies sound seriously grueling. I'm definitely impressed with anyone who makes it through. With the medical field being one of the most demanding in all areas and one of the most important to fill, I think it's quite understandable for doctors to be among the highest paid.

Reveler

8,550 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Profitable 100
no, if they can afford to buy fancy cars and big a** houses, they're not underpaid, they're just bad with money. teachers are underpaid and anyone with a minimum wage job is underpaid

Do you want to be a doctor?
Sure, an animal doctor aka a vet.

How well do you think your compensated for your work?
well since i'm currently teaching 5 dance classes and make almost 300$ a month i think i'm doing okay

Are you currently a student? Major?
just graduated from a one year Fine Arts program

How much school have your completed? How much do you have left?
1 year of college that is totally unrelated to what i would actually like to do, 4-6 years left

What are your career goals?
become a vet/ vet tech and work at a zoo.
See A Roman Pick Him Up
Doctor's aren't underpaid in the US by any means. Granted the debt is massive here, but so is the salary. Best to go to med school elsewhere and then come back and do the residency. Plus it doesn't take so ******** long in other countries. It's ridiculous over here.

What type of surgeon are you interested in becoming?

I don't think the salary for for pediatricians is massive. They may not even bring home 6 figures.

The only non US med schools I've heard of are Caribbean and I definitely wont be going to those. Even if the school is legit, I wouldn't trust the education. Yeah I will be studying forever but I will be learning a lot and I think it will make me a better doctor.

Right now I am most interested in plastic.
Pseudo-Onkelos
After paying for nothing more than an X-ray to see if I had damaged my thoracic vertebrae, and that there was nothing wrong, um no, I don't think so. Such is the life of a doctor anyway. If you don't like the pay, don't go for the career. I sure as heck wouldn't do it because it looks complicating and wearisome.

I would still want to be a surgeon even if I made 50k for the rest of my life.
However I feel doctors deserve a high salary and want to enjoy such.
Twisted Rainbow Insanity
Jesse Troy
On Death Spiral
Jesse Troy
User Image

ummm

Our forum does not have an admin to watch over the moderators like the other ones do.

Weird.
Why?
Dolce Rogue
My brother gets nothing for saving lives.
It's so sad. Good thing he's gonna finish his residency.
He's 32.

Congrats to your bro.
What type of doctor is he?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out