Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Conversationalist

I'm by no means depressed. To start.

I'm curious though, what do you guys see depression as?
Do you think it's a real diagnostic-able disorder?
Or do you see it as more of a psychological thing?

Personally, my view is people have complete control over it.
My general rule is, Life's only as hard or bad or depressing, as you make it.
By being depressed, unless you get to a suicidal state, you're only harming yourself.
I'm not trying to insult anyone, but for me, if I want to be happy, I'm happy. But it seems people are claiming that they can't be happy with depression, and it says to me, that you really just don't want to be happy.

Am I wrong? Is this an actual problem? Is this actually a form of handicap for people?

Tipsy Gawker

I see it as both the options you've stated.
        My husband's mother has been struggling with depression for 20+ years.
        When she finally went to the doctor, they did a screen and found that her serotonin was not being
        produced.
        There's times in my life where I just feel like s**t be it a combination of hormones or not. No matter
        what your hormonal state if you dwell on something terrible, like a death or unemployment, you are
        going to be depressed.

However, I also can see it as a psychological thing. Especially nowadays, since there is
        legitimately a thing called the "Facebook Syndrome" where people get upset because all they see
        is other people's good. So they get all out of whack because they're sad or having marital troubles
        or job troubles, etc. and everyone else seems super happy.
        "This only happens to meeeee~ Boohoo." type of thing.

EDIT: DAFUQ with the second post?

She has a body like an hourglass...
I completely agree with what you're saying. People who blame others for their depression are missing the picture: with strength of mind, you can do anything. You have to get on your feet, dust yourself off, and say: "I'm not gonna let these things bother me anymore." You are responsible for your own feelings. Let's say you're depressed because someone is verbally abusing you. They chose to say awful things to you, true, but you were the one who chose to be sad about if. It those things aren't what you truly believe about yourself, then why let this person get into your head? Just stay away from them and keep in mind that you are who you are, and weren't put on this earth to please anyone else. However, let's say that you do believe that you're whatever it is the person is calling you. You have the choice, and the ability, to change yourself. But you have to be willing to work hard and go for it. Once you do, you don't need to care what anyone says anymore because you know that you have tried to be the best you can be.

...and a mind like a diamond.

Lonely Saint

I find it saddening that people today still think depression = emotion.
Pathetic.
People use 'depression' as a crutch and excuse.
First world problems.

Lonely Conversationalist

A a m u n k o i t e

That's really interesting. And no, I understand that completely, A few years ago I watched my best friend get shot in the chest and died instantly. Of course, I was sad and depressed. But I got better, I moved on, I'm happy now. I'm referring to the people that have no particular reason to always being so sad, so they call it depression...That's what I don't understand. I know there are people that struggle with letting go of the past and that can make being happy a lot harder. But people that say they have depression, it almost seems like they refuse to even try to move on and be happy.

Quotable Lunatic

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Cathegories F32-F33 from ICD-10 would like to have a word with you.

Lonely Conversationalist

Vio-kun

I just read both sections.

I understand having a depressive episode.

I don't agree that it's a non-controllable disorder to have reoccurring depression.

Maybe it's more difficult, but I think it's being abused for excuses.
littlebirdbigsky
Pathetic.
People use 'depression' as a crutch and excuse.
First world problems.

I've read your scientific analysis of depression,
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Conciousness
Vio-kun

I don't agree that it's a non-controllable disorder to have reoccurring depression.

You do know that people can be treated with medicine that fixes chemical imbalances in their brain which causes depression, right? Like, they studied how well these medicines worked vs a placebo, and it really does work. Meaning it's not something you can willingly control.

Tipsy Gawker

Conciousness

That's really interesting. And no, I understand that completely, A few years ago I watched my best friend get shot in the chest and died instantly. Of course, I was sad and depressed. But I got better, I moved on, I'm happy now. I'm referring to the people that have no particular reason to always being so sad, so they call it depression...That's what I don't understand. I know there are people that struggle with letting go of the past and that can make being happy a lot harder. But people that say they have depression, it almost seems like they refuse to even try to move on and be happy.

There's a healthy mourning period, and then there's not.
        It's ok to still feel sad occasionally years after an incident, but a constant sadness it not healthy.
        Like, when my grandmother passes away two years ago, naturally, I was sad at the time. And
        every now and again I'll still get a twinge of sadness. Mostly for things like, "Man, I wish she
        could have gotten to meet my husband," or "She always wanted to see me and my cousins
        graduate from college."
        I suppose that is more nostalgia?

But I definitely agree with the idea that some people are just refusing to move on or be happy and
        are determined to always be Debby Downer and Johnny Raincloud.
        "Dude, cheer up."
        "Shut up, I have depression."
        Nope, most likely, you're just a selfish d**k at that point unless there is something actually chemically wrong.

Lonely Conversationalist

Track01_Rebuild
Conciousness
Vio-kun

You do know that people can be treated with medicine that fixes chemical imbalances in their brain which causes depression, right? Like, they studied how well these medicines worked vs a placebo, and it really does work. Meaning it's not something you can willingly control.

Again, personally, I find that to be a state of mind. If someone convinces you that a pill will make you happier. Then you will try it, if you have faith that the pill is working. You will be happier. The pill could be a freaking m&m. If you think it will help you get better, it will.

Quotable Lunatic

5,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Conciousness
Vio-kun

I totally agree. It's the same with people in wheelchairs. I can understand having a broken leg for a while, but I really can't see why they can't just get over it and start walking like the rest of us.

And don't let me get started on blind or deaf people. They're just selfish.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff