Welcome to Gaia! ::

Plus the fact that a leap day actually takes longer than the time left for it is corrected as every year that is dividable by 100 but not by 4 thereafter doesn't have a leap day. So 2000 had one but 1900 didn't and neither will 2100.

Salty Pirate

46,975 Points
  • Grunnyland Dabbler 50
  • Grunnyland Collector 150
  • Grunnyland Expert 250
agnikai
It's going to be a lot of confusion, that's for sure. Remember when that "new" zodiac was added in and the fuss people made over it? It's going to be MUCH, MUCH worse than that.

And leap years are fun anyway~ emotion_awesome

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

the "new zodiac sign" wasn't even real. I don't understand why it got so much press.

Haunter

41,650 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Level Up 200
Phoenicopterus
Pslightly Psycho

Yes, the problems are fairly short term, but any given generation would hate to be the ones suffering that cost and confusion, so I expect we'll all just put it off forever. And the longer we leave it, the worse things get in terms of making old publications of dates wrong, since more of them will exist by then.

Personally I would love if Years were fixed, and Months/Weeks/Days were easier to organize. Right now they're a real pain to try and do any kinda calculations with, being at an annoying set of 12/52/7, and the fact that days don't even fall on the same date each year. I'm just aware that there's no ideal way to sort it. No calendar would fit perfectly while fixing the problem of poorly divided months/weeks and allowing for days to remain the same length of time.

And your birthday would be "wrong" if it's current date is any later than Jan 28th. Minor annoyances guaranteed.

Ah yes, you are probably right with that 'putting it off'-thing. That is very typical. I wouldn't mind if they'd "fix" this in my time - seems rather exciting. A bit like with a new currency - the parents counting in the old currency, the children in Euro smile .
Hhm, yes, well, let's hope the calendar won't end up being as troublesome as the euro though xD.

Being from Britain, my grandparents still counted in our old money for a while after it died out, where they had half-pennies and 12 pence coins, illogical stuff like that. I don't look forward to Euros being used here, if it happens.

Month-change relevant video:

Shameless Man-Lover

15,125 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Heckler 50
Phoenicopterus
Zhyk
:c How will I know when my birthday is?

Count it out and remember it? I'm not sure how to count it though, it's not my idea this 13month year, I just think it's interesting and it might work.

No. emotion_donotwant

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Pslightly Psycho
Also, while it's not important... everyone's Birthday would become innacurate. D:
It's important...to me. TT____TT

..also, the year is 365.242374 days long. Hooray for an "eh, good enough" calendar! =D

I love this thing that I found:

When to you have leap years? It’s actually pretty complicated.

The basic rule is that you have a leap year if you can divide the year by 4. So 2004, 2008, etc. But years divisible by 100 are not leap years. So 1800, 1900 aren’t leap years. Unless they’re divisible by 400. So 1600 and 2000 are leap years. By following this algorithm, you can have an Earth orbit that lasts 365.24 days.

With the current system, it’s not actually perfect. There’s an extra 0.000125 days being accumulated. Over course of 8,000 years, the calendar will lose a single day.

Haunter

41,650 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Battle: Level Up 200
Doc_Brown
Pslightly Psycho
Also, while it's not important... everyone's Birthday would become innacurate. D:

..also, the year is 365.242374 days long. Hooray for an "eh, good enough" calendar! =D

The basic rule is that you have a leap year if you can divide the year by 4. So 2004, 2008, etc. But years divisible by 100 are not leap years. So 1800, 1900 aren’t leap years. Unless they’re divisible by 400. So 1600 and 2000 are leap years. By following this algorithm, you can have an Earth orbit that lasts 365.24 days.

With the current system, it’s not actually perfect. There’s an extra 0.000125 days being accumulated. Over course of 8,000 years, the calendar will lose a single day.

Join me. We will take over the world and ensure that the year 8000 has a February the 30th, to bring back your missing day. I'll even let you have an extra birthday since they mean so much to you. Problem solved?

Liberal Vampire

7,700 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Conversationalist 100
That seems like a horrendous idea.
What the hell is the problem with having an extra day every four years?
mad

Dapper Codger

16,825 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
Pslightly Psycho
Doc_Brown
Pslightly Psycho

Join me. We will take over the world and ensure that the year 8000 has a February the 30th, to bring back your missing day. I'll even let you have an extra birthday since they mean so much to you. Problem solved?
AGREED.

Let us sign a pact in
BLOOD!
XxLuminaMarieHimexX
That seems like a horrendous idea.
What the hell is the problem with having an extra day every four years?
mad

There's more to it than just that. I think the system could and should be more logical.
moonlightwiz
Well, we're already so accustomed to having a leap year every four years...it wouldn't make sense to suddenly change how our calendar works. A teacher gave us a lecture today on how a long time ago, some people wanted to change the clock to 10 hours per day, 100 minutes in an hour, and 100 seconds in a minute. The idea was dropped as quickly as it was adopted. Getting rid of leap year, I think, is just impossible.

On the other hand, apparently there's going to be a 'leap second' this year sometime in June or July, I forget... sweatdrop We all have to turn our clocks forward one second, or it'll mess everything up. I don't know, it's rather complicated.

There have been countless calendar changes throughout history, every country/city used to have it's own system. It can't be that hard to adapt. I don't mean I think we should have 13 months starting tomorrow, I mean it's not "impossible" as you claim.

The leap second has nothing to do with the calendar, it's about the 24 hours being in sinc with the sun.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
There use to be 13 months in the year and a 13th hour on the clocks.

Rome went with 10 months in the year.

Then two months got added and named after rulers of Rome.

The number of days in the week have changed a few times also.

Oh yes,.. and Christianity forced the calenders be shifted, slaughtering anyone who didn't instantly conform to their insanity.

New Years use to be around where April 1st is now sweatdrop Lableing people April Fools protected them from death. It's like saying " Oh, yes,.. my Grandmother has lost her mind from old age and demons inside her... and my brother is mentally retarded for reals, so you can't kill them,.. they are too stupid to understand things like Calenders."

The pre- August and July Calender had the Months start with numbers. Like Oct indicates 8 and October was the 8th month. Dec indicates 10 and December was the 10th month. Jan indicates 1 and January was the first month.

Anyways,.. they have been coming up with lotsa suggestions. Adding days, takeing days, shifting the calender again,.. lots and lots of suggestions out there.

Distinct Dabbler

Maybe we could add a one or two seconds to a minutes or something. If the Mayans could be more precise calendar-wise then I'm sure we can too.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Khac-Kham
I'm sure it wouldn't pass. Maybe we could add a one or two seconds to a minutes or something. If the Mayans could be more precise calendar-wise then I'm sure we can too.

We did that recently.

I can't even remember if we added or lost a minute and I can't remember which year it was. But we did that in the last 10 years once. Added or Lost a minute. Look how well we remember doing that sweatdrop rofl

Kawaii Nerd

[Whenever you are here, i'll always be around.]

That just seems really unnecessary Im used to seeing 12 months in a year there's no need for a 13th month everything would change and I hate to be confused emotion_donotwant
[CarlaaEfronn Was Hereee]

Dapper Werewolf

Lazarus Larkin
agnikai
It's going to be a lot of confusion, that's for sure. Remember when that "new" zodiac was added in and the fuss people made over it? It's going to be MUCH, MUCH worse than that.

And leap years are fun anyway~ emotion_awesome

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

the "new zodiac sign" wasn't even real. I don't understand why it got so much press.
Because they knew people would make a fuss about it? It was kinda hilarious watching people's interviews on TV and hearing them complain about how their whole identity was now messed up. emotion_awesome

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff