Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Legion

25,015 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Fearsome 200
  • Novice Striker 150
Who will take care of me my love, my dark angel ♦ ♦ ♦

Owls are so cute but why are the elves portrayed as owls? do we turn into owls just like vamps turn into bats?
If that is so, then many owls must be elves in disguise. eek

♦ ♦ ♦ when you are gone?

Popular Sex Symbol

5,450 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Invisibility 100
pretty hate machine
I would image it would be harder to train an owl. Aren't they, typically, a lot smarter than say hawks or falcons?
They're harder to train, but it's not because they're smarter...a lot of people who work with owls will reluctantly admit that, all told, they're kind of stupid. It's not that they're smart and figure out your tricks and are therefore resistant to training, it's that they seem to take forever to get it through their heads that X means Y.

They're also just physically unsuited to human contact and training. Humans are offensive to them, we're loud (very loud) and quick and exist in bright light. They also don't have what's called a "crop", which hawks, falcons, and eagles do, where they'll eat a bit of food and it goes into a little pouch on the front of their neck before moving on to the stomach.

with owls, the food goes straight to their stomachs, so it's difficult to tell when they're getting 'full' and when it happens, it happens suddenly. So they'll go from being interested in you to suddenly full and not wanting to do anything but fly up into a tree and digest.

All in all it takes considerable patience and an experienced, careful falconer to correctly train an owl and keep it healthy. Most of what I know I learned from one of the king of Spain's royal falconers who works almost exclusively with owls, she talked mostly about how owls need to be shown something again and again and again very gently and quietly before they seem to get the idea, and they don't tend to pick things up on their own as quickly as a hawk or falcon.

but, once correctly trained, they can make amazing partners.

Toxic Nymph

17,050 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Generous 100
Hana Matataku
pretty hate machine
I would image it would be harder to train an owl. Aren't they, typically, a lot smarter than say hawks or falcons?
They're harder to train, but it's not because they're smarter...a lot of people who work with owls will reluctantly admit that, all told, they're kind of stupid. It's not that they're smart and figure out your tricks and are therefore resistant to training, it's that they seem to take forever to get it through their heads that X means Y.

They're also just physically unsuited to human contact and training. Humans are offensive to them, we're loud (very loud) and quick and exist in bright light. They also don't have what's called a "crop", which hawks, falcons, and eagles do, where they'll eat a bit of food and it goes into a little pouch on the front of their neck before moving on to the stomach.

with owls, the food goes straight to their stomachs, so it's difficult to tell when they're getting 'full' and when it happens, it happens suddenly. So they'll go from being interested in you to suddenly full and not wanting to do anything but fly up into a tree and digest.

All in all it takes considerable patience and an experienced, careful falconer to correctly train an owl and keep it healthy. Most of what I know I learned from one of the king of Spain's royal falconers who works almost exclusively with owls, she talked mostly about how owls need to be shown something again and again and again very gently and quietly before they seem to get the idea, and they don't tend to pick things up on their own as quickly as a hawk or falcon.

but, once correctly trained, they can make amazing partners.

Hmm... I did not know this. Thanks for informing me.

Sparkly Dark Elf

20,875 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Conquerer of Familiars 350
This morning, I saw an owl fly into a pine tree and poke its little head out, it was adorable! I thought of you because I saw this thread before and thought I'd tell you <3

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff