Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧
ץσυ αre тнe s n o w s t o r m, ι'm pυrιғιed.______________________
______________________тнe dαrkesт f a i r y t a l e, ιn тнe deαd oғ nιɢнт

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

Erik… That was- Days ago. A week- two? And you… You did not sleep much before the masque either, I remember.

A quiet but coarse sigh escaped him. This was not exactly a conversation he had hoped to have that evening-- or, rather, morning. But his body had betrayed him and he knew the concern she carried all too well, the subject being something familiar, to some degree… It was not the first time she had expressed worry toward that troubled lack of self-care… Whatever the reason behind it.

Erik had not often delved into the, logistics per say, of why. Partially because, to some level, he did not even know the answer himself. The entire affair of food and rest had always proven difficult for him, even when specifically attempted, particularly as he had aged. Yet somehow, it had naturally improved ever since the peace of Marugerite’s company had come to him, perhaps because it had brought him some variety of peace of mind. But as soon as she had been gone? Seemingly ripped away from him?

…I thought if I destroyed myself, trying to find you, that you would never forgive me…

The words stung, but he knew them to be true and justifiable in her eyes, though they nonetheless elicited a visible grimace. “... It is not always a matter of sheer unwillingness.” He grumbled quietly, more to himself that her. But what else was he to do with this? Argue? Claim that he had no choice in the matter? He had neither the energy nor the desire to do so. She would think what she would and the only true bitterness he felt was that the circumstance was true at all-- much less that she would have to suffer the knowledge of it.

The tug at his hand drew him to his feet before he could choose to stand of his own accord and once stable there, he peered down at her, that uncovered expression his own shade of exhausted defeat, colouring the edges of his gaze and produced a strained frown though he did not attempt to address it.

No.” He answered plainly to her next question, shifting his gaze briefly toward her hand. “Perhaps not as much as you or Nadir would prefer-- but certainly more often than a… year ago.” A year ago, when he had resigned himself to death-- his former home a veritable tomb… When the disregard was only conducive to that which he had already accepted. In truth, the recollection sickened him-- realizing then how close to the end he had brought himself… How easily he could have missed, this. But oh, he had tried his hand at nourishment, even in her absence. But he could only warrant it so much thought while consumed with the notion that she could be gone entirely.

He’d turned by then, beginning down the path though retaining a loose hold upon her hand assuming she would hold to the same, murmuring beneath his breath: “For now… We can simply return to the Inn.

Erik // Isabella // Nadir // Landan // Christine // Adelaide
          ❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . .
          music . . . Truman Sleeps [Glass]
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
-
So we just hold on fast, acknowledge the past as lessons exquisitely crafted
Painstakingly drafted to carve us as instruments that play the music of life

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

---
        There was no real satisfaction or comfort to be had in Marguerite’s eye- Not in this. Not directly. If she had thought so, surrender would not have been so quick to claim her senses.

But she was at a loss… Even if she could find some viable argument to give, and her impulses ran wild to offer it even before she formed it, she did not want to argue. She just… She wanted it to have never happened. For Erik to understand how helpless she felt when he let his own needs fall so far to the wayside, whatever the reason. For Erik- To truly have had control in the first place. Better- Better for him to have consciously neglected himself than for it to be out of his own power and her own reach to fight!

Instead she only found a mirror for her own desolation in his eyes, and that was an empathy she had never sought.

Even the assurance that he had eaten – to some unknown degree – could only do so much when he looked like that- Perhaps, simply stemming some greater distress that never truly surfaced. Marguerite just continued to stare up, barely blinking, and there was little shift in her expression until he turned away, drawing her along the path by a willing, weak but unyielding grip. “Well enough…” she mused on a quiet breath, for that was truly the point. He might say Inn, but surely he meant bed. And whatever her distress, the point then was to fix, not question.

And that was just it, wasn’t it? They had the chance.

More than once in their time together they had come to the edge of physical fatigue or injury and been forced to rush across cities and countries with bones bruised and wounds still bleeding. While she had to wonder which Erik still carried – as pushing himself could help no healing and she herself had to fight a constant, soft stiffness in her neck that lingered from the blast on the stairs – the fact remained, they could rest.

The point now was simply to encourage that.

…I could have a message sent to the house easily enough, telling them I am well- And if food can be ordered to the room, we could eat in,” she suggested without much pomp, only after some seconds of silence had settled between them. Grey eyes shifted up at him to check for answer and reception- Only to belatedly catch as she took in his profile. Her gaze skimmed down to her other hand, and she mutely held up a tentative hand, even as they never stopped- the mask for offer as wanted. “-we can spend the whole day there, if you don’t mind… Raoul is not so recovered as that. I doubt he could travel by tomorrow, so there is no rush to return.” While her attention had been caught by the mask, it ticked back up quickly enough, and however it might not have truly left her, her own depressed expressions could not survive the urge to coax… To soften, as she spoke on- As though she could not stop herself. As though she could simply talk them both right out of their troubles, if she just stumbled on until she found the right words.

There is no blame in what happened… Save on the Shah’s part- But I still don’t want to leave Paris until we are all, fully ourselves again. Mind, body, spirit… We have endured a lot this summer… And before anything else happens- Before we embrace anything else, even Barcelona?” Lips tugged stiffly up, as though the motion hurt, even if the affection and awkward humor in her gaze was genuine enough as her hand secured its grip with a soft squeeze and slide of a thumb. “I want to preserve what matters.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
-
Aldric :: Bertrand :: Charles :: Damien :: Marguerite :: Marie :: Raoul :: William
---
    musιc La Luna [Giacchino]
    тʀιʙuтe Banner art created by Tricias.
    messaɢe *random 'Italian' mood music*
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

Silence was as good as anything else in that moment as Erik began the trek toward the street once more, somewhat aware of a thin light rimming the sky in the east. If he had to choose between the quiet or uncomfortable attempts at a fruitless argument-- nothing could change what had been, after all-- he would far prefer to enjoy her company with no words… Even if the air between them had grown somewhat tense in the process, though he understood the best of intents she carried for him.

And so when she began to speak again, his figure stiffened slightly, if only for a breath, until he realized she was no longer further complicating the matter of his lack of rest. Instead she was musing on assurances that they could return and go without worry to those she had left behind in some safe house within Paris. He hesitated only briefly before answering, “I see no issue with… Resting for the day.” He only stopped short, however, when there was a hitch in her step and he, too, paused to glance toward the thing she offered forth-- the mask.

Strange how even when at odds she could make him practically forget about it.

Quickly taking up the object, however, he hastily secured the thing over his face, adjusting it slightly, head bowed as if to conceal the sight in case someone came wandering by. In her company, when alone, he could move comfortably about without it-- but that did not change the horror that most others saw in contrast- and the unnecessary attention it would likely draw… If there was a scream...

Erik looked up again once the mask was in place, just in time as she did return to the subject at hand, only to dismiss its blame and focused instead upon the necessary course of action for the future. Her smile-- however stiff as it was-- eased him, the frown bordering on a glower lessening into something somber but calm, nonetheless softened of its previous severity.

Breathing a quiet sigh, he dipped his head in a conceding nod and closed his hand attentively over her own, solidifying that hold into something intent, rather than so loose and precarious as before. “... Of course.” Erik agreed, a subtle frown playing once more at his lips as he peered down on her, weary expression no less, somehow, repentant as he studied her.

I can rest easy now, knowing that you are safe. I suppose… Some measure of myself feared the worst. Or… Perhaps inadvertently prepared for the worst. Never before have I been graced with such good fortune...” Pausing, he allowed that notion to sink in, mostly for himself as he considered his next words, yellow eyes closing against the sensitive nature of what he would say next. “My life has changed near entirely, with you, Marguerite-- and at times I find myself still, learning, to change with it.

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . . -happily accepts random “italian” music-
          music . . . La Luna [Giacchino]
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
-

---
        There was an odd, heavy weightlessness in Marguerite’s head, slushing in and out of her awareness. She didn’t know what it was – perhaps the simple impact of having some, but not enough sleep after her own prolonged struggles for rest, or a delayed reaction to days of dread so suddenly and recently ended. But it hovered in the back of her mind, dragging down any cheer she reached for into a softer, strained variation… An irritation when her impulse to comfort and distract ran through her as strongly as ever.

She had been successful to a degree though, it seemed, the slight ease in Erik’s own demeanor soothing her own tensions a little more. Before the effect could mirror back and spiral out unchecked, though, the man grew visibly serious again, shooting through the shy twist of her little smile to leave her first and foremost alert.

I can rest easy now, knowing that you are safe. I suppose… Some measure of myself feared the worst…

Her feet stalled and her own grip on his hand loosened- Not with a want to pull away, but with a sudden need to not so much hold onto him as marvel at what she held… Who… Marguerite’s gaze and everything about her softening with a quiet focus that drew little attention, but would likely fail to waver, even if someone did unexpectedly trip over them and scream at Erik’s now hidden features.

She did not know what to think of that- Of how ignoring his own needs could at all relate to preparing himself for accepting her ‘death’, and nor did she think she wished to. But she recognized the weight behind all he said, and she did not dare to speak for some moments after he did, for fear of forestalling some yet revealed confession. When it became clear, though, that he had said his peace, she twisted to step up, not beside him but before, her fingers moving in his for a clasp better conducive to affection than walking. “I do not wish to change you, Erik,” she sighed, but there was no fight or frustration to be found in her tired eyes- Only a quiet, adoring smile that strove by the second to gain her lips, even as it failed. “Merely preserve you… And if you told me I would need to spend every day of the rest of our lives seeing that those basic needs are met- I would take to it happily… No,” she added, voice dropping with her eyes to their hands as her fingers curled, nails scraping his palm through his gloves, as her own had long been pocketed. “What upset me isn’t that you couldn’t, rest… It was I wasn’t there to do anything about it.” The wonder of how much worse it might have gotten… A thought she strove with all her might to keep out of her mind, lest it upset the quiet ease of her reply.

-
Aldric :: Bertrand :: Charles :: Damien :: Marguerite :: Marie :: Raoul :: William
---
    messaɢe ---
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

As she stalled, Erik came to a more direct pause, turning to face the woman with a dull question in his eye that he nonetheless suspected would be answered soon enough, without need to ask. But he could not make out what to do with that odd look she offered-- uncertainty cutting through the edges of his solemn, otherwise serious regard, leaving something hazy between the lines of exhaustion and concern in its place. To what degree had this all truly upset the woman that it would leave her struggling to so much as smile?

It left something within him cold and heavy, a new sort of turmoil forming behind his eyes as he watched her from their corners. But as she stepped closer, before him, that troubled thought, his demeanor, began to gradually melt away in light of her newfound grasp at his hand-- one he would return without so much as a second thought-- her assuring sentiments and a true smile that did twitch at her lips conjuring a sense of peace within him, even if it failed to fully form there.

In turn, what could be seen ‘round the edges of the mask was a tired but no less appreciative regard, his gaze dawning with the same veneration it had held for her near the entire night to some quieter but no less genuine extent… A look that only confirmed an understanding of her first explanations and found it difficult to retain much in the way of funereal expressions when he could see the adoration behind her look. One that he would be hard pressed to keep from reflecting back within his every glimpse of her.

What upset me isn’t that you couldn’t, rest… It was I wasn’t there to do anything about it.

... Marguerite…” Erik sighed her name, not with frustration or turmoil, but instead as if simply uttering the syllables allowed him to breathe at all. “There is no changing what has been.” He eventually began, his hand closing over her own, though a pensive tone colored his words. Oh, he knew this as well as she did-- but it was something even he was clearly coming to accept, even for himself. The past-- it was in the past… But it had taken something so different to come along in his life before he could have even begun to accept that simple fact. It was a truth even he was still learning to truly acknowledge. “You are here now… As I am here for you. That is all that I need to feel at peace. I doubt I will have any trouble finding rest now that I can begin to feel truly content.

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . . -finally manages late night post!-
          music . . . La Luna [Giacchino]
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
-

---
        She did not yet look up at the soft call of her name, but the little hints of tension above her eyes and about her mouth softened, turning her tense demeanor dreamy… Even as she had no reply for his following claim. No, there was no changing what had happened- But to regret the past and worry of the future- They were such natural reactions for the woman that the only solution against them Marguerite had yet found was to ignore both completely- Loose herself in the present. A feat she could accomplish with great ease… But her time in Erik’s house and company and affections had made her face both past and future far more than she had in years- And accept that her evasions were far less ‘overcoming’ than simply running. She knew that know… But awareness did not change that she did not really know any other way of facing them.

At the least, she had found a willingness to try, for the sake of not hiding from the man as she hid from herself. And he had handed her reasons to persevere, as well, in the reality of a present worth preserving- A sentiment that she found a mirror for in Erik’s own words.

You are here now… As I am here for you. That is all that I need to feel at peace. I doubt I will have any trouble finding rest now that I can begin to feel truly content.

A smile formed across her lips, slow and uncertain and wobbly, but when she finally dared to look up, the warmth in her gaze painted it as undeniably genuine- Just before she dropped their joined grip to the side so that she could step closer- press herself into as one-armed embrace and breathe her answer into his shirt. “If that is all you need, for peace… Then I can rest assured that I will never struggle to provide it for you… Never, when you have become the key to my own comfort…” Days of constant tension and exhaustion and a heedlessly racing mind, and now- It felt like her very heart had slowed its pace, to better drag out the moments at his side.

But there was little point in hovering with him there, in a garden where their reclaimed peace might be disturbed at any point. So she did not linger long in that embrace, pulling away until only their bound hands remained in contact so as to offer her encouragement to find this hotel he spoke of.

It indeed was not far, as he said- But with the tension ebbed between them once more, the walk to the hotel and through a back-hall to his reserved room only dragged that fatigue to the forefront of her mind once more, and however curious she was of the space, and whatever else she might wish to share with the man, she turned herself almost instantly to seeing them both in that bed, unconscious, as soon as possible.

All other needs and pleasures would simply had to wait- But even Meg likely had not expected them to be put off until well into sunset. But the pair slept so long that, by the time they could put their minds to other practical needs, they could only rush to catch the nearby markets and restaurants just as they were closing again, scrounging for available food to buy before taking it back to the hotel where Marguerite made a show of setting up a ‘proper’ meal at the little table in their room before deigning it worthy of eating.

And thus, if not for the lingering fatigue that survived even beyond a good day’s sleep, they might well have turned properly nocturnal. But the rest of the night passed in shifting turns of cat naps and relieved affections and practical, curious conversation- Of what had become of their company and what they could replace of their lost home- And what they even wished to replace to begin with. Marguerite had a hard time settling on her own opinion of where they should go, which Erik could not help her with with his accommodating air and dismissal of the topic as unnecessary, at least until they went north. But it was in her nature to wonder… At least until her mind turned elsewhere.

By the time morning had come again, with breakfast served directly to the room by a baffled server, Marguerite had settled on a different topic altogether… Her writings. Most had been lost, after all, in the fire, and while she saw little point in striving to recreate the poetry – far too emotionally-based creations, inspiration a flash in the pan, gone as soon as it appeared – she had set herself to making an ‘inventory’ of all of the stories, half-conceived and half-written, that she might yet have a use for.

When we get back to Jammes, I should ask Raoul to have what’s left of my things sent up from Nice…” she mused, chewing on the end of her dip pen before leaning up to refill it in the inkwell- Balanced on the flat top of the bed frame. Despite the need to write, Meg had elected to skip the table or the chaise lounge in the room in favor of remaining abed- bare feet and legs in the air as she lay on her stomach, wrapped in a cocoon of claimed blankets with the breakfast tray turned upside down before her as a writing surface. Whatever her efforts, or rather negligence, little black spots had popped up on the bared white sheets, but she remained focus on her work, heedless to how only her loose chemise and loose hair covered her back as she twisted to look to Erik. “-you didn’t by chance keep any of your works outside of the house, did you?

-
---
    messaɢe
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

His promises certainly had not been in jest-- only so rarely had he ever slept so much in but one or two days.

In truth, Erik had lost count to some degree as to how long they had actually spent in that little room between rest; occasional naps she would coax along or he himself would drift into without much intent.

But it hardly mattered-- even as Marguerite herself spoke of outside necessities or the world beyond that tiny space such as the need to acquire food, he was content… Willing to sit or lay about in lazy repose, so long as her company was near. They had plenty of time to catch up on, after all, before he would be willing to step away from her for more than a few moments, as if doing so would risk losing sight of her all over again if done too soon.

In the end, however? Once they found themselves lounging about after a morning’s breakfast? Erik would be hard pressed to recall the last time he had felt so awake outside the manic episodes of restlessness that would have previously taken him in their old home. But those were uncomfortable at best, still outlined with the characteristic exhaustion he would usually experience regardless, unable to find sleep to ward it off. But this… This was true ease, a truly rested sense he could not remember the last time he felt. He found himself even more acutely aware than ever-- something that would be a bane for the boredom if it had not been for Meg’s presence.

She had made herself comfortable in her writing on, musing on additional belongings still left in Nice-- something of a relief to know she had not lost all of her worldly possessions in the fire. Erik on the other hand had taken to a nearby chair at the table, idly plucking along the strings of a violin he had acquired at one point or another-- perhaps salvaged.

-you didn’t by chance keep any of your works outside of the house, did you?

Hm..” Erik hummed quietly at the thought. “Save for a few, perhaps, still in the Opera’s cellars.” He considered the alternative with a dull sigh, but soon he waved it off with a free hand, “It was nothing too dire, at the very least...” He had a habit, after all, of near endless work…Forgetting one piece in place of a new one that would absorb his attention until it, too, passed. A few of the more highly valued composed pieces, at least, would always be with his memory, if nothing else than to a degree he could likely recreate them.

I suppose we will have to resupply ourselves soon, however. Clothing, necessities… Some can be acquired in Boscherville or Rouen. Is there anything in particular you are in specific need of sooner, however?” He inquired then, turning an eye and bare expression toward the woman. If it had been much earlier on in their interactions, he likely would have been shocked for her choice of garb-- even if she were wrapped still in blankets-- but by then, he had grown accustomed to, particularly fond of, the sight.

But soon there was a rapping at the door frame, bringing the fallen “Comte” to scowl slightly upon it before standing, setting the violin aside and replacing his mask. Approaching, he soon opened it, prepared to face down some pesky, prying staff-- only to find ever familiar, green eyes set into a dark complexion staring back at him.

-- Erik.” Nadir blinked once, shocked to find the man in nothing but his shirt sleeves and slacks, looking quite… Relaxed? “I see you finally got yourself some sleep.” The Persian soon added, a dark brow arching in question.

Oh? Is it truly so obvious, Daroga?” Erik drawled then with a nigh pleasant tone, if it were not for his usual sarcasm. “I will admit, I am flattered you would pay such close attention. Still, there was little point to abstaining from sleep by now.” He may well have led the man inside if it were not for Marguerite’s state of undress-- No, he would leave that up to the woman’s choice herself.

By… Now.” Nadir echoed, gaze narrowed, scrutinizing the other man before something of a shock seemed to strike him. “Do you mean you--?!

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . .
          music . . . Nocturne n°2 Opus 9, mi bémol majeur [Chopin]
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
-

---
        Save for a few, perhaps, still in the Opera’s cellars… It was nothing too dire, at the very least...

Meg tilted her chin into her hand, leaning on the arm as Erik answered, the picture of relaxed intrigue, even as she shook her heard in reply. “I would beg to differ,” she said without any real fire, merely protesting out of a need to express her own appreciation for his work. He might toss most over his shoulder the moment he was done with it, already focused on the next, but she saw each one as an outward expression of his inner genius- Worthy of enshrinement in symphonic repertoires and art museums, not burnt up in a fire or left to rot in a cellar…

But that was a goal she herself might have a chance to see through, so there was no point prodding Erik to see to it himself. Better to voice her view and let the conversation roll on, shrugging as he inquired into her current needs. “Probably- Jammes was kind enough to let me borrow a dress or three left behind by a friend of hers- A friend not too dissimilar from me in size, but I shouldn’t take those with me.” While she was actually quite comfortable as she was, lounging about in less than her knickers in Erik’s exclusive company, she had made a point of taking off the loose, blue dress she had been wearing for its own sake, as well. “Aside from a few papers not in reach, I am back to the skin on my back.” A fact that, probably should have distressed her more, but it was hard to in light of what else she might have lost- And the fact that it wasn’t the first or even second time in her life she had had such a harsh reset on material possessions.

One would think it would make her less fond of trinkets and material goods… But logic wasn’t everything.

Before they could discuss any specific plans or acquisitions, though, there was a knock on the door, and Marguerite raised her hand to better ‘hide’ the grin that sprouted, seeing Erik’s demeanor shift so suddenly. Before she could blithely discourage him from scaring the staff – as they may be simply trying to pass over a bill for breakfast – the visitor was quickly revealed as-

Marguerite’s brows rose at that familiar voice, and if not for the usual quietness that struck her when the two men spoke, the better to not miss some humorous exchange, she would have surely greeted him instantly. Instead, she marked how Erik was keeping the man in the hall… And while she might usually call for Nadir’s invitation – pull the blanket up, and she would be more ‘modestly’ covered than she had been in her queenly costume – a grin slowly rose in place of the call. No, she instead put aside her writings, slipped out of the bed, and rushed for the rest of her garments- Stockings, bloomers, corset… For all appearances moving to make herself presentable for decorum’s sake- But really, it was only practical! If Nadir was there, they wouldn’t be staying long enough to sleep again, and as the Daroga’s voice rose in shock, her voice popped up from beyond the blocking wood of the door. “Hello, Monsieur Khan--! We were expecting you yesterday! Did you have trouble coming back from the village? …Erik?

She had named the man in the same light, welcoming tone she had used with Nadir, but unseen by the Persian would be the lady, having already gotten herself to the final layer of the lace-trimmed blue dress… Standing just on the other side of the door with Erik, loose hair pulled out of the way of her open back, still in need of buttoning as she looked expectantly back at the man.

-
---
    musιc Nocturne n°2 Opus 9, mi bémol majeur [Chopin]
    messaɢe :3
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

Before Nadir could even finish his question, there was a sudden call from beyond the door frame--

Hello, Monsieur Khan--! We were expecting you yesterday! Did you have trouble coming back from the village? …Erik?

It could be none other than mademoiselle Giry herself. He knew this not only by her voice alone, but by the smug expression that crossed the thin man in the doorway’s gaze in response to it. No, a dull but amused smile had graced Erik’s lips by then, something about the Persian’s shocked expression clearly inspiring some measure of mirth within him before he shifted a yellow gaze toward the lady at her beckoning. “One moment, Daroga.” With that, he stepped from the doorway and went to Marguerite’s aid, proceeding to fasten everything from the corset to the dress itself.

Remaining where he was-- somewhat aware of why the woman was likely concealed-- Nadir could only stare blankly for a few beats to the opposite side of the room, out of sight from the couple as he peered through the little space’s window near the table. “I--” He began, only to clear his throat and shake free the surprise that was the missing lady’s presence. It was a good thing! But… He certainly had not been expecting it to come upon it so suddenly, so casually! They had been expecting him… How long had they been reunited?

But soon he recalled Meg’s question: “I fear I was delayed, for a time, assisting with a few things around the, ah… house.” How could he put that more delicately without sparking agitation within the man who had, too, disappeared from his line of sight? But then… Was it really a concern, now that Erik was so clearly at ease, having locating his lost lover? No-- the ruined ‘Comte’ hardly reacted to the sentiment, almost as if he had ceased to listen, instead finishing up his work with the lady’s garments to ensure she was once more comfortably proper. “You may come in now, Daroga.

Removing his hat, Nadir did just that-- entering mechanically and allowing the door to shut behind him before he finally turned to regard Meg… As if, perhaps, he was not so convinced of her presence until he had seen her for himself. Truly, he paused before the tension visibly melted away from his posture, a genuine smile on his lips. “It is so good to see you again, mademoiselle.” He eventually sighed with an expanding delight. “We feared the worst! I am glad to find that there was nothing for it. But where is--

Chagny and the infant are fine.” Erik cut in plainly, almost impatiently, moving across the room then to straighten his shirt and retrieve a vest and jacket. “Well, save for a bullet wound to our resident Comte. But they are with a local friend of Marguerite’s.

Raoul was shot?” Nadir echoed with a newfound alarm.

Yes, unless you have a different descriptor for ‘bullet wound.’” Erik quipped, perhaps a bit too nonchalantly, but… That should have been no surprise when he spoke of the Comte. At least there was no evidence of amusement in his tone. “He is recovering well enough, apparently. I have not yet seen him for myself.

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . . x3
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
-

---
        Watchful gray eyes crinkled with a smile when Erik dismissed himself and saw to the tightening and buttoning as needed- Gestured that had her flashing back to a different hotel in… Genoa? Somewhere in Italy, when the pair had joked about how Marguerite would simply have to rely on Erik in place of the traditional maid to get her in and out of certain fashion, barring alternatives- And the fact that would leave her quite tied to his side.

The thought had been no less pleasant then, either.

But she kept the musing to herself beyond what a look could say, until Erik’s invitation cut into her thoughts, her more meaningful expression spreading into a full-grown grin as she faced the door and the man who appeared beyond it. “It is good to see you, too, Monsieur Khan! I was assured you and the others were all alive, but it’s nothing short of a miracle to find you and everyone else unscathed!”

Well, almost everyone. But she knew better than any there of Raoul’s wounds, and she barely reacted as the two men discussed the matter- Save to quite openly ‘fight’ amusement at Erik’s attitude, walking over to a vanity to wind her hair in a loose bun, seemingly unhearing - but smiling - until Erik had finished his own report, and she turned to fill in the blanks. “The bullet didn’t hit anything vital, Monsieur Khan. Went straight through him, as it turned out- Just scared us something awful at the time, and made escape difficult. He was recovering well though, last I heard. Didn’t like that he couldn’t hold the babe, though, on top of everything.

She had started out rather light in tone, but grew more pensive as she went… Though to eyes that knew, the dousing of her mood was less caused by personal sadness than empathy, an understanding of someone else’s sadness. The difference allowed her to focus again without any seeming struggle, jolting back to full awareness in a blink. “I sent my friend a message yesterday, though- He should know by now that Christine and Charles as well- And be anxious to leave, I am sure.” If he was not ready for that- Well. That was a battle she would only consider if it reared its head! As long as the gentlemen did not butt heads directly about it, she was sure she could talk him down with talk of Philippe’s wellbeing, at least.

The question now-” she went on, straightening her hair a moment more before approaching the two again, hand seeking Erik’s so naturally that she didn’t even directly look, trusting in her reach as she looked between them. “Is what you wish me to tell my friend, and her husband… I told her I was looking for Raoul’s family and my, own household-” her eyes twitched to Erik, a pleased edge ticking at her lips. “But what should I call you?

-
---
    musιc Nocturne n°2 Opus 9, mi bémol majeur [Chopin]
    messaɢe
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

Nadir had only assumed as much: that the bullet, however unfortunate, must have not caused any truly detrimental damage to the young father. Or else, surely, neither would be so light hearted of it. Like him or not, Erik had proven at least once before that he cared for the well being, if nothing else, of the others within that little family-- Charles, the helpless babe… Christine. And said well being would be directly tied to the survival of said father and husband.

And so Marguerite’s explanation was more than welcome. “That is all very fortunate.” Nadir sighed with relief, bobbing his head in a nod as the information was relayed. “I am certain the Count will be eager to reunite with his family. But we must ensure he is in a condition to travel… The trip is not terribly long, but long enough for a wounded man and especially such a young child....

All considerations we have already made, Daroga.” Erik responded, having secured his suit jacket, smoothing its lapels before turning to properly face the other man. “No matter how ‘eager’ Monsieur Comte is, we will go nowhere until he is well enough to move without issue. The child will be enough of an ordeal all himself.” The latter was a remark hardly made in agitation but was a statement of simple fact.

Nadir had turned a flat look toward Erik as he spoke, hardly amused, as if he had not already said just that moments before. But there was no point-- the couple were not the only ones to have been living in perpetual exhaustion ever since the masque. “Yes, yes, I realize that.” Was all he could muster after a point-- only to pause once Meg had approached once more, the former Daroga’s gaze drifting briefly to the two’s oh so naturally joined hands.

Erik in turn took her grasp in his, barely glancing toward her as he studied the Persian’s odd expression-- until she spoke, that is.

Is what you wish me to tell my friend, and her husband… I told her I was looking for Raoul’s family and my, own household- But what should I call you?

It was at that that yellow eyes blinked once, Erik’s usual, quiet poise faltering as he turned a look onto the woman, expression blank at first. What… did she call him? He had only so rarely considered what their love was in regards to the outside world. But never had he truly settled on any one interpretation. Generally speaking, the only true word he had determined to be most common was, simply put, the word ‘inappropriate.’ Otherwise, the two had little reason to ever explain themselves to anyone beyond one another.

I--” He trailed off before he could even begin to speak, clearly at a loss as he attempted to straighten himself out again, casting a sideways glance on Nadir-- who was busy simply smiling in the most reprehensible of ways. There were-- options, but, none that he would deign correct just yet and, oh, he would not use them lightly until they were true.

Your abiding suitor, perhaps?” Nadir suggested, though it was plain enough that even he was hesitant on this phrasing-- after all, they were her household then and… One did not simply live with one’s suitor. At least not in the so-called “polite” society.

Erik shot the Daroga a pointed glare for a brief moment before clearing his throat, expression softening once more as he peered down to the woman at his side. “... I do not suppose you would know what would be, best, in regards to Jammes’... opinion toward you?

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . .
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
-

---
        The humor and curiosity that lit Meg’s smile wasn’t quick to dissipate, but it did begin to seep away, pushed out by a confused stillness that blinked in at Erik’s expression, growing the longer the silence hung between them. By all appearances, the question had been, yes, complicated but untroubled in her eyes, a simple discussion of best options for a new name- a new role in society, as far as that went, and how to present him. Why, the only real involvement she saw for herself there was ‘who’ she would present herself tied to, and the fact that she would be the one ‘presenting’ him at all in this case, given this was her friend. Oh yes, she expected he would ask her opinion on the matter, given she would walk with him in the new role, but…

…it was become quickly clear, that that was not how he had taken that.

Before she could truly backtrack and consider how he had taken it, Nadir proved the rationality of Erik’s mistake with his own answer, the… awkwardness of the term prompting Marguerite to turn a blank, almost unseeing stare on the Persian, only a slight shift in her confusion marking that she understood the words. Suitor… That might be well and good, as a mask in some circles if needed, but it would not stick with what Jammes already knew, and with any want to be allowed alone with Erik in that house… And, it did not even fit- A suitor would be someone vying for her.

He already had her.

The sound Erik made prompted a blinking return of Meg’s attention, but she continued to simply stare at him like she didn’t understand anything they were saying- As though they were speaking Farsi over her head, for all the sense it made. But… She did understand, at least as far as where the communication had broken down, and… She slowly dropped his gaze, staring at nothing in a noncommittal silence that screamed of some unseen, unprocessed emotion, until she suddenly gave a snort and grinned- So genuinely that, if not for the pause just before, would have surely been a quite convincing sight. “Jammes? She won’t think ill of me, no matter what we tell her! Why, I could tell her I had been kept by three men this year alone, and she would only ask if they had all been good to me, bless her.” And it was true- That was simply how things had worked where they had come from. Any girl over fifteen in the troupe had likely been intimately tied to at least one man, if not more- And the richer, the better. If not, that either meant they had some other tie to the management, or they were just really, really talented. Usually to make it anywhere, it would take all three.

And Jammes had not had the talent, so even her ties could do her little good… Meg remembered well, years ago, wondering how long she would manage to wade through the ranks before drowning. Her luck had been that she was extremely pretty, smart- And that the war had prompted her to accept a current lover’s proposal and retire with grace while she could.

But Meg wasn’t thinking about any of that- She wasn’t, really thinking, at all. She hadn’t even really processed what she had said, and the strange… disquiet, that had bloomed within her in the face of Erik’s stumblings still rung behind her eyes, even as she shook her head and chuckled and slid back, moving to collect her papers from the bed as she tossed words over her shoulder. “I could just tell her the truth, if you don’t mind it- But! What I meant was, who you want to be! If le Comte died at the masque or in the manor, you cannot show up calling yourself Mansart anymore.

-
---
    musιc I Understood Something [Marianelli]
    messaɢe
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

For all of her strange reactions, Erik half wondered if he had just said something immensely wrong. The bewilderment was obvious enough in his eyes alone, even with the mask in place, and in truth, Nadir was not much better as he peered on, puzzled by her sudden silence and odd, downturned eyes. But suddenly, she grinned, only eliciting even further confusion among the men who quickly traded a peculiar look with one another before she finally began to speak and explain.

At first, her words only made everything all the more baffling. It didn't matter? Not, with Jammes? Then why the devil had she asked at all--

What I meant was, who you want to be! If le Comte died at the masque or in the manor, you cannot show up calling yourself Mansart anymore.”

-- Well.

It began with a sudden tensing of his muscles, a slight widening of his eyes in a near flustered manner as Erik stared down on her for several beats of a time. He hadn’t expected what she had to say and yet it made much more sense to be coming from Marguerite, of all people. Still, at least he was not the only one to read the lady’s words wrong-- evident enough in the sudden uncertainty that painted Nadir’s expression as well as he muttered something along the lines of “I see, yes.

And yet where one may have expected a flustered, stammering dismissal or shift in subject from Erik-- there was only a sudden wave of relief that wiped the apprehension from his face. He needn’t use words to explain themselves to anyone and, in truth, he would prefer to keep it that way. They would make the decision for some sort of change or development, and on their own time, not out of necessity elsewhere.

Still, that did not erase the fact that he had misinterpreted her so blatantly and spoken as much aloud... Though a mildly amused, albeit strained, chuckle escaped him as he bowed his head and closed his eyes for a brief moment, centering himself again. “Of… Course. Good,” he eventually managed, expression something of a cold, discombobulated mirth-- but the words did come on a deep sigh of unabated reprieve… As if he’d been holding his breath for a time.

I can no longer call myself Mansart, no. I trust your judgment, Marguerite. I somehow doubt when she meets me that she will be willing to believe I am anything more than what I truly am… And they say the truth is far stranger than any fabricated story, after all.” He swallowed back his words then, eyes opening again to regard them both. “Unless you believe some form of ‘title’ or name is in order, then… I could come up with something in relatively short order.

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . . Oh, you were talking about--
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Devoted Browser

User Image
-
-

---
        Marguerite managed a few moments more of concealment, gathering papers in her hands as she stared at the wall with dazed, unseeing eyes that would have said more than any expression, and then simply had to turn back to the two, blinking back into a focused, mild curiosity as shallow as foam on a beer, but steady- Even as she stared at them… Gaze naturally neglecting the uncertain Persian in favor of the ‘forcibly retired’ count.

And so she saw- She watched the frozen weight lift off of him so quickly that he looked dizzy with it, even laughing in an albeit, broken manner. He was thrown, staggering beneath a clear struggle to straighten out his thoughts again, and Marguerite offered him no help in climbing out of the hole, simply watching with a still sort of intrigue, alert and sober. Assessing.

He was relieved. Relived that she had not been seeking some definition for… them, from him. That wasn’t just a revelation or clarity, on discovering her true intent. It was relief, so deep it shook him. And- When he had still thought she had sought insight into what they were, or at least should be to outside eyes, he had scoffed at Nadir’s suggestion – a sign of more than a want of true ambiguity, of some contrary preference, proven by elimination – but offered no answers of his own… Merely deflected the question back to her, though she had ‘asked’ first.

She had not seek an answer… But that could not erase her awareness that, he had not wished to give it. She did not know any other way to read it.

The assessment slid through her mind utterly unshown in her eyes, beyond the continuing flatness of her expression, until Erik actually opened his eyes, prompting her to turn her own with a clearing blink, giving a little shrug to his delayed reply as she moved to take the pen and inkwell to the table. “It would likely be best. No matter what Jammes- Or rather Madame Martin, I need to get used to that. Cécile’s husband Richard will likely be expecting some proper name attached to another visitor in his house. He’s a laidback sort, but I doubt he will let us pass through without at least some question as to why you are simply ‘Erik’.” Pulling her sleeve up to wipe a still stained hand on her arm, where the fabric would then cover the marks, she turned properly towards the pair again, her expression not quite a smile, but… Obliging, in its alertness? “That isn’t to say we need some story, though, no. But if you want any cover at all, we’ll need to be on the same page before we arrive, if we wish to keep it intact… And if you are comfortable with the truth, are there any bars to be had on it? I assume I shouldn’t just share anything- Persians, soda water, Carrier-Belleuse?” The words were teasing, the grin wide, but there was still something… discordant in the yet genuine laugh as she leaned the small of her back into the table, arms crossed over her front as she arched a brow Erik’s way. “Yes… I suppose a ‘less is more’ approach would serve best? Certainly more mysterious… Ambiguous. Likely a good confusion for the listener.

-
---
    musιc I Understood Something [Marianelli]
    messaɢe
User Image

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

Nadir was not so certain what, exactly, it was that he was watching unfurl between the two. And then, on the other hand, he was very much sure of it. The couple was still young-- not literally as much as figuratively-- but neither one of them were very experienced in the intricacies of such a relationship. The best methods of managing themselves, of managing each other, were still left to be learned and if the Persian knew one thing from his own experiences and by watching the pair-- it was that there was much left that the two needed to discuss.

No, he did not fear for their permanence, but he did fear for what level of agony they would be causing for themselves and each other by leaving too much to open interpretation rather than simply saying what they meant and moving on with their lives. In the end however, he knew far better than to interject then and there. There may be a time and a place in which he could possibly share his opinions, but it certainly was not that time just yet. And so he was left to simply watch as Marguerite assumed her own opinions on the matter, despite a clear dissonance between her forward demeanor and the glint in her eyes, the strain in her grin… All things that did not escape Erik’s own awareness.

But he could only gaze at the woman, whatever arid humor that remained quickly dissolving into nothing more than a blank but poignant stare, even when she turned her own eyes away from him. Why? He would have assumed, given her previous behavior at the misinterpretation, that she, too, would be relieved to not be forced into that discussion in that particular time and place… Much less somewhere that was not exactly private at the time. Yet instead she seemed almost… More detached than before.

-- Had he given a different impression?

The entire affair could only elicit a genuine softening in Erik’s regard for the woman, though it would be forced to do so ‘round the edges of a return in that listless solemnity. His gaze drifted, moving then to a nearby wall as he listened and processed what she had to say. As much as this was not a time to discuss the exact specifics of their relationship, it was not a time in which he could press as to… what was happening in her mind. After a few beats of silence, however, he would look to her once more to meet the sight of her grin. “I see little point in expanding upon anything that is not necessary… Carrier-Belleuse being a perfect example as such.” There was an attempt at humor there, though in truth it fell somewhat flat, despite the effort.

He needed to focus on the issue at hand-- granted the urge to pull her aside was strong… Something that could only be indicated by the careful look he set upon her, searching but knowing that it would likely be for nothing at that point in time.

If we must have a name…He drawled in thought before waving indicatively as names simply cycled through his mind. “-- Sadoul. An architect likely seems a respectful enough occupation, as well. Otherwise, yes, less is more. The… Opera affair may be best to leave out. Unless...” Would Jammes recognize him? Had she seen him before? That he could not rightly recall.

❧━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━❧

ooc . . . Trying to come up with a relevant “surname” and failing so you just pick something random.. (Damn you Leroux/Kay for not mentioning his actual family name. (even though I get the mystery.)) -- Also, I literally don’t remember if Jammes ever saw Erik. If so, he might be kind of hard to miss. xD
          music . . . I understood something [Marianelli]
          art . . .© Shikorimu

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas