Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi everybody! whee

In this "international" topic, I see a lot about J-pop and J-rock.
I like it a lot, but have your ever heard of Chinese music ?
I must admit it is quite different, really much romantic but it's really cool to hear!

There's much variety, actually more than in Japanese music.
As I said before, I like J-pop but you sometimes mistake some groups since their vocal and musical style is basically the same. sweatdrop

In a country with such a large population, Chinese artists need to have their own style and sound to stand out and win some popularity.
You can find a lot of variety in their work but also a great work on sound and music and above all, great emotion.

I really recommend you to try and check Chinese singers, they worth it!
Anyway, BEWARE : TO TRY IT IS TO LOVE IT ! heart

Among my favorites : Kelly Chen, Faye Wong (who's welle-known in Japan), Aaron Kwok, Takeshi Kaneshiro (who's also a great actor who recently played in "House of the flying daggers" wink

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
*looks at Announcement first* Man, it really helps if threads put in the Announcement didn't get shoved into the Recycle Bin.

In any case though, I like Chinese music. I should probably get into it a little more, but not a lot of artists really peak a lot of interest for me. I like it and all, but a lot of times I find a lot of the music I happen to hear to be a bit too...hrm, what's the word...mellow I guess, for me. Although I've heard of Faye Wong (from of course her work with the Final Fantasy VIII theme, but it's hearing of her nonetheless) and I've heard some of Kelly Chen's work when my uncle bought her CD some years back. It's alright.

There's only one artist though that I actually call my favorite out of the Chinese music scene and that's Dicky Cheung Wai Kin. I don't remember hearing of him releasing anything else after that last CD with tracks from that TVB Anniversary Journey to the West series, but I like his work. I didn't find out about his music career though until after I saw him play the Monkey King in TVB's earlier Journey to the West series. I had been enchanted by his excellent portrayal of Sun Wu-k'ung and found out that he also had a singing career and was instantly hooked.

But yah, that's about the extent of my Chinese music experience. I have a few songs here and there from different Chinese dramas though like the theme song to "Heroine of the Yangs" and the theme for TVB's drama on the story of Mulan "A Tough Side of a Lady". Other than that though, I have like one random mp3 of the Chinese version of the Always Coca-Cola theme sung by Sally Yip. XD
i have one concern about Chinese music, and that is the amount it is censored by the government. basically, any artists (movie directors as well, for instance), if they don't want to be blacklisted, must send government-postive messages. that's too bad, because the Chinese youth are just as hungry for rebellion as any other group their age, and probably moreso than others. a band my friend used to manage, Silver Ash, was selling out clubs with their visual kei type music and individualistic, sometimes anti-govt. messages. in order to keep working, they had to change to be pop-rock and meet the govt. speficiations.

so basically what i'm saying about Chinese music is, especially since i don't understand the language, that a large amount of it is propaganda.

Eloquent Entrepreneur

12,000 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Elocutionist 200
tannith
i have one concern about Chinese music, and that is the amount it is censored by the government. basically, any artists (movie directors as well, for instance), if they don't want to be blacklisted, must send government-postive messages. that's too bad, because the Chinese youth are just as hungry for rebellion as any other group their age, and probably moreso than others. a band my friend used to manage, Silver Ash, was selling out clubs with their visual kei type music and individualistic, sometimes anti-govt. messages. in order to keep working, they had to change to be pop-rock and meet the govt. speficiations.

so basically what i'm saying about Chinese music is, especially since i don't understand the language, that a large amount of it is propaganda.

I wouldn't be surprised. I dropped by the Silver Ash thread since my sister's a fan (she doesn't come on Gaia that much though) to go gather some news for her and get some info for X-mas shopping for her to find that their contract as TOY was dropped too. =/ Guess the government isn't letting go of that blacklist so soon. Can't really do much about that though because that's the way the system is over there, but I hear they're trying to get signed with a Japanese or Korean company so that they can keep doing their work and stuff. Government blacklisting's probably part of the reason I find a lot of Chinese music to be a bit too mellow for my tastes too.
i like chinese music! mainly the mandarin stuff though :// (ie jay chou, david tao!, she, etc etc) and cantonese stuff is okay only person i really like is joey yung whee

i love chinese soap operas though =D!
I agree, I really like Chinese music and I personally think it rocks! (But I don't understand it because I'm not Chinese crying ) But my Chinese friends always recommend music and I really like to listen to it like music by Coco Lee, Sun Yan Zi, Miriam Yeung, Joey Yung, Aaron Kwok and Nicholas Tse. . .I think it's time I took some Mandarin and Cantonese lessons. 3nodding

Ruthless Informer

I'd like to hear more Chinese rock music. This excludes Silver Ash.
I would like to find out more about C-rock and C-pop but is there any techno music of that kind as well.
Ive only hear one chinese band so far that I really liked and that was S.H.E. ^_^ they're so awesome.

Friendly Vampire

i know nothing.'s Love Of My Life

I have a CD by 古巨基 (leoku?) called 忘了時間的鐘 (uses japanese input.... has no clue what it says xd )

sounds kinda like a folk singer? >.o

that's the extent of my chinese music. and since i have no clue how to look it up >.> that's the extent i get, less anyone wants to expose me xd

anyways >.>
My absolute favourite Chinese singers are Penny Dai (Dai Pei Ni) and S.H.E. They're awesome!
Hey everyone! I listened to J-Pop for the 1st time and i was pleasantly surprised! biggrin
i know everything
I have a CD by 古巨基 (leoku?) called 忘了時間的鐘 (uses japanese input.... has no clue what it says xd )

sounds kinda like a folk singer? >.o

that's the extent of my chinese music. and since i have no clue how to look it up >.> that's the extent i get, less anyone wants to expose me xd

anyways >.>

leo ku sounds coool!! kinda old.. but yea his voice is nice ^^
Jay Chou is my favorite. His songs are amazing. One of the reaons why im so crazy about asian music now. redface
Out of all the Asian pops, Chinese music is my ultimate favorite.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff