Welcome to Gaia! ::

I am contemplating buying Salvador Dali and Luis Bunnel's film Un Chien Andalou and i have heard alot of great things about it. It is supposed be graphically disturbing which intrestes me. And i ahve always been a huge fan of Dali's work.

I was wondering if any of you may have seen it and had any opinons about it.
Its a sweet movie if you are into that sort of thing. I mean it isn't something that you can pull out at most parties and have it be well recieved. Its only 17 minuts long so you are roughly paying a dollar per minut, but oh my what a wonderful 17 minuts it is. I just wish there was more on the dvd, you know some other shorts or what not. Still I have definate plans to add it to my personal collection as soon as possilbe.

Do you have other interests in the same area? I have such a hard time finding people who apreaaciate such films. What are some other surrealistic things you've seen or are interested in seeing.
I love Un Chien Andalou, but I dont htink i would buy it because..ya it's so short. I would be interested in similar movie, shorts, but I don't know of any. Got any to recommend?
Wow, I didn't know that he made a film. I love his work. In fact I have a painting of his right above my bed.
An excellent seventeen minutes, to be sure, but I'm not certain they are worth buying.

Try downloading it. -- What, who said that?
it is great, but if you're not a gore person, look out of the eyeball-splitting!
if you like surrealism, try george melies. he's amazing! his most famous is a trip to the moon.
If you're into experimental film it's a must. If you're not... well you're probably one of the people I argue with over this film making sense.
sonya_chan
it is great, but if you're not a gore person, look out of the eyeball-splitting!

That still makes me wince...
I wouldn't mind checking it out- and I also recommend Georges Melies' "A Trip to the Moon" especially if you are into really really early film.
Quote:
it is great, but if you're not a gore person, look out of the eyeball-splitting!.

Is it bad that that's my favorite bit?
is this the dali film that disney took part in somehow?

Versatile Member

7,375 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Before you decided to buy the DVD, take a look at This compairison to the American DVD and the British DVD.

Obviously, the American release is prettty awful, and they want to charge $25 for a 16 minute film. You're better off buying the R2 version if you're able to run it- better video quality and you get both Un Chien Andalou and L'age D'or in one box set.
its good and for the most part worth geting if your a film fan, if your only a causal watcher then it probably isnt worth geting.

i would recomend Balet Mechanical (sp) in english it would translate to machanical ballet.
feintingfolly
Quote:
it is great, but if you're not a gore person, look out of the eyeball-splitting!.

Is it bad that that's my favorite bit?

hahah no- it's cool. just kind of gross that it's a real pig'e eyball they're splitting.
Metronome
Before you decided to buy the DVD, take a look at This compairison to the American DVD and the British DVD.

Obviously, the American release is prettty awful, and they want to charge $25 for a 16 minute film. You're better off buying the R2 version if you're able to run it- better video quality and you get both Un Chien Andalou and L'age D'or in one box set.

Oh. Thanks for the information. I was prolly not going to get it anyway because of the rediculouse price and the fact that I have my eyes set on other goals but that's an important safety tip.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff