Welcome to Gaia! ::

hmm the book was a whole lot bloodier. I never did finish it though. sad you should read the book though if you get a chance. The movie was good. The second one seemed like a different movie.
mellow_candle
spacedtwin
I apologize for wording that so funny, I meant to say that the MPAA had banned Battle Royale from american distribution, meaning that major distributors like Blockbuster and Best Buy's distributors cannot carry it. The reason for this is because Toei, the director refused to have his film edited for content so that the MPAA would allow distribution of Battle Royale. Believe me, I did my homework on this a long time ago as to why it was so hard to get a hold of this film.

It was my fault for not making myself very clear on the issue. I'm a professional researcher and I check my facts, but sometimes I'm horrible at saying what I mean. I apologize for that.

The wording wasn't funny. It's just you stated the MPAA had banned (whether it be domestic or theatrical doesn't matter) <i>Battle Royale</i> when in fact they have not. No one has banned the movie here in the U.S. It's just Toei is asking for too much (both money and edit (or lack of edit) wise) so the movie is sort of floating in space here for the time being.

If the movie was to ever get brought over, then it will probably have two different versions: a cut and an uncut version. Either way, places such has Blockbuster and Best Buy will carry it. Never underestimate the things you will find at Best Buy (or Fry's for that matter). I found a couple of DVDs from the <i>Guinea Pig</i> series at both Best Buy and Fry's. Movies from that series are far, far worse than <i>Battle Royale</i>.

I apologize for jumping on your case about something so trivial as this, but like I stated before I'm honestly sick and tired of hearing people say it's banned here in the states. You just happened to mention in this thread first and thought I'd set the facts straight before other people start in on it. It wasn't really meant to be a stab at you, just people with that mind state in general. Also the fact that I'm running on about two hours of sleep is making me be more straightforward than normal.

I read that he just didn't want it released in America
Skizzup
i've seen the movie. It was VERY disappointing because the book is sooooo much better. Flame me if you want, that is my opinion and im stickin to it. A lot of good stuff was chopped out of the movie that was in the book that would have been much cooler. PLUS Shuya looks like a wuss in the movie.

I couldn't agree with you more over the novel. However, I'm not entirely disappointed in the movie (I'm used to seperating novel to big screen things...it kind of dulls the pain). I just find the movie to be highly overrated...
mellow_candle
Skizzup
i've seen the movie. It was VERY disappointing because the book is sooooo much better. Flame me if you want, that is my opinion and im stickin to it. A lot of good stuff was chopped out of the movie that was in the book that would have been much cooler. PLUS Shuya looks like a wuss in the movie.

I couldn't agree with you more over the novel. However, I'm not entirely disappointed in the movie (I'm used to seperating novel to big screen things...it kind of dulls the pain). I just find the movie to be highly overrated...

true true. Maybe overrated was a better word choice....

Where to get it? eBay or rasputins in the "cult" dvd area.
detachedhead
I read that he just didn't want it released in America

Well...they would like for to be released in America. It's just there's a few issues. As I already stated, it boils down to money, unrealistic ideals, and the fact that they don't want to get the blame for any school shootings and stuff like that.
to all those who look for it in stores; have you considered down loading it?
Skizzup
mellow_candle
Skizzup

true true. Maybe overrated was a better word choice....

Where to get it? eBay or rasputins in the "cult" dvd area.

I know a few people who were disappointed in the movie too, so either one works really.

As for those who are trying to find the movie, eBay is always a good place to check out. Or if there's an anime convention coming soon near you, you could look around the dealers room in hopes of finding someone selling it. Just remember, all bootlegs are not created equal.
My friend ordered it from korea, great movie. Desensetizing in 15 mins, but still good.
Funny, I had NO problem whatsoever finding a copy. A Chinese store was selling it for $5 (no doubt a Hong Kong export). I thought it was a great story. Initially, I was expecting a kill fest, but there turned out to be a sad story behind all these kids being forced to betray and suspect and murder one another for survival. However, the second one was slightly disappointing. The beginning was exactly like the first, except a different class and their mission was different, then it turned into a war film practically.
That movie. ******** rocked!!!!!! Kiriyama was such a badass!!!! xd

250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PrimaryLotus
That movie. ******** rocked!!!!!! Kiriyama was such a badass!!!! xd

Oooh, so this is why you were talking about battle royale!
great movie need to get a copy
Yo the film rocks is sooo ******** good u have 2 see it.
the second film aint so good though, i have read the books and there really worth checkin out cos they are ******** cool. i beleive it is 1 one the best films ever. the maker takeshi kitano who plays the teacher in the film has made loads of great films that are worth watching so go out and buy them.

there is also a cool quiz on www.quizilla.com, where u answer questions and it tells u which character u are if u were one of them.

ENJOI blaugh
Squall24
the second film aint so good though, i have read the books and there really worth checkin out cos they are ******** cool. i beleive it is 1 one the best films ever. the maker takeshi kitano who plays the teacher in the film has made loads of great films that are worth watching so go out and buy them.

there is also a cool quiz on www.quizilla.com, where u answer questions and it tells u which character u are if u were one of them.

ENJOI blaugh

despite all the hype, i still believe the book was better, and that the movie aint as good as people are making it seem.
Skizzup
Squall24

ENJOI blaugh

despite all the hype, i still believe the book was better, and that the movie aint as good as people are making it seem.

I think most people will agree that the book was better but i think the movie really did a good job with it,granted it wasn't excatly like the book,but in reality it is never that way,I think just because its not as good as the movie dosn't make it bad(sorry about the repeating)This is my opinion,but I think that the list goe,book, movie ,manga.
dont get me wrong the manga is good,but I think they just showed way too much and since the lack of imgation so it took some if away.
About the sequal,granted it was a disapointment,but if you think about it,something that hugh,can only lead to a downfall,and while it will never be as good as the others it didnt suck but it wasnt okay,maybe average and worth watching.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff