Welcome to Gaia! ::

I don't see what the problem is....

The police department officials decided the Officer's acted appropriately.

Now there is a lawsuit...

Will it be settled if the jury decides the Officer's acted appropriately?

lol

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PVT Fuzzy
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy
Police are supposed to think about their safety, but I mean, they can control an 8 year old girl. She may have threatened them, but it's common sense they can restrain her easily without too much force.

As I said to someone else, as if to think the mother then wouldn't be trying to sue the city over full-grown police officers manhandling an eight-year-old.

I would be pissed too. It's outrageous. There are some good cops, but then there are some that push their control. That's her baby they zapped.
It's not as if their judgment was completely unsound though. Sure they could have gotten close to wrestle the knife from her grasp, but that's also putting themselves into striking distance and they risk her stabbing herself accidently.

And when a kid is throwing a trantrum you can't expect them to think rationally. Perhaps the next time an officer tells her to do something, she'll comply without hesitation or complaint.

Invisible Humorist

i'm sorry but this make cops look weak

Tipsy Smoker

Or lazy and fat.
Quote:
The reason the police were at the home was to keep the girl from hurting herself;

And they ******** TASER her in pursuit of that?!

emotion_facepalm
Erholung
Old Blue Collar Joe
Scarred Sword Heart
We've lost our instincts. In the past, something like this would've been handled quietly by the family, if the child had been able to escalate to that level in the first place. Now, parents don't limit or correct their children's behavior, children display extreme behaviors and the police respond in extreme ways because they've been militarized.

Actually, it was the baby sitter that called the cops, not the parent.
But yeah, she shouldn't have grabbed the paring knife.
So, four cops arrive. Figure they are five ten or taller. Figure they have doughnut shops, so say two twenty each.
One is a taser instructor. Another is a hostage negotiator. He can't out wit an eight year old? Seriously? Ever heard of maybe waiting her out?
Do none of these cops HAVE kids of their own? Damn. This was ******** up on several levels.
The most important question? Why in the Hell are we stupid enough to let the police and politicians investigate themselves for corruption? Seriously?

I have toddlers. You cannot talk to toddlers or children the way you can with adults. A negotiator is useless against the impulsive mindset of a child.

So you give them a potentially lethal dose of electricity instead?

Witty Conversationalist

GSK Lives
Erholung
Old Blue Collar Joe
Scarred Sword Heart
We've lost our instincts. In the past, something like this would've been handled quietly by the family, if the child had been able to escalate to that level in the first place. Now, parents don't limit or correct their children's behavior, children display extreme behaviors and the police respond in extreme ways because they've been militarized.

So, four cops arrive. Figure they are five ten or taller. Figure they have doughnut shops, so say two twenty each.
One is a taser instructor. Another is a hostage negotiator. He can't out wit an eight year old? Seriously? Ever heard of maybe waiting her out?
Do none of these cops HAVE kids of their own? Damn. This was ******** up on several levels.
The most important question? Why in the Hell are we stupid enough to let the police and politicians investigate themselves for corruption? Seriously?

I have toddlers. You cannot talk to toddlers or children the way you can with adults. A negotiator is useless against the impulsive mindset of a child.

So you give them a potentially lethal dose of electricity instead?

Less causalities.

Fuzzy Kitten

Valiant Corvus
PVT Fuzzy
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy
Police are supposed to think about their safety, but I mean, they can control an 8 year old girl. She may have threatened them, but it's common sense they can restrain her easily without too much force.

As I said to someone else, as if to think the mother then wouldn't be trying to sue the city over full-grown police officers manhandling an eight-year-old.

I would be pissed too. It's outrageous. There are some good cops, but then there are some that push their control. That's her baby they zapped.
It's not as if their judgment was completely unsound though. Sure they could have gotten close to wrestle the knife from her grasp, but that's also putting themselves into striking distance and they risk her stabbing herself accidently.

And when a kid is throwing a trantrum you can't expect them to think rationally. Perhaps the next time an officer tells her to do something, she'll comply without hesitation or complaint.

It really is an unfortunate event. I wonder if the officers feel like the didn't handle it right. But, in situations like that, everything seems to be so much faster than it is.
Erholung
Old Blue Collar Joe
Scarred Sword Heart

Here's a shocker; an eight year old is NOT a toddler. Stunning, huh?
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy

Her eight-year-old was a danger to herself and anyone around her. She was wielding a weapon. If you are no stranger to this forum, I'm sure you can recall many articles of children younger than herself committing acts of violence either intentionally or in an impulsive state. The police officers handled this situation accordingly and no one was hurt - not even the child. If they had attempted to go for her, she could have harmed herself or any of the officers.

Let;'s clarify a point: She was wielding a PARING KNIFE. This wasn't a case of an eight year old with a kuni or long sword.
This was an eight year old with a PARING KNIFE. The baby sitter called the cops, not the parents. And they couldnn't control the situation? One of them was supposedly a hostage negotiations expert? Is he ******** stupid? Are they ALL ******** stupid?
And their story is the one the media runs. Not the kids. For all we know they stepped in the house, saw the knife and went 'blam' and tased her.
We've seen them throw flashbangs instead of rolling them, stating they had 'probable cause', we've had guys shot by these ********, and then THEY conduct then investigations on their own wrong doers?
Kind of a double standard, so if we don't jump on the bandwagon and blindly swallow the horse s**t that they couldn't control an eight year old...
Time to turn in their badges. God help us all when they run into a sixteen year old.

Witty Conversationalist

Old Blue Collar Joe
Erholung
Old Blue Collar Joe
Scarred Sword Heart

Here's a shocker; an eight year old is NOT a toddler. Stunning, huh?

Toddlers or children.

Witty Conversationalist

Old Blue Collar Joe
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy
Erholung
PVT Fuzzy

Her eight-year-old was a danger to herself and anyone around her. She was wielding a weapon. If you are no stranger to this forum, I'm sure you can recall many articles of children younger than herself committing acts of violence either intentionally or in an impulsive state. The police officers handled this situation accordingly and no one was hurt - not even the child. If they had attempted to go for her, she could have harmed herself or any of the officers.

Let;'s clarify a point: She was wielding a PARING KNIFE. This wasn't a case of an eight year old with a kuni or long sword.
This was an eight year old with a PARING KNIFE. The baby sitter called the cops, not the parents. And they couldnn't control the situation? One of them was supposedly a hostage negotiations expert? Is he ******** stupid? Are they ALL ******** stupid?
And their story is the one the media runs. Not the kids. For all we know they stepped in the house, saw the knife and went 'blam' and tased her.
We've seen them throw flashbangs instead of rolling them, stating they had 'probable cause', we've had guys shot by these ********, and then THEY conduct then investigations on their own wrong doers?
Kind of a double standard, so if we don't jump on the bandwagon and blindly swallow the horse s**t that they couldn't control an eight year old...
Time to turn in their badges. God help us all when they run into a sixteen year old.

Okey-dokey~ emotion_awesome

4 cops vs a 8yr old. Come on, one of them could've easily rushed the girl, taken the knife, and subdued her without harm done on both sides lol. But they tased her!? rofl

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
She was a kid throwing a tantrum.

Um, yeah. If the babysitter thought it was just a tantrum she would not have needed to call the cops.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff