Welcome to Gaia! ::

Mei tsuki7
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:
Applicants have to answer three questions about drug use to get benefits, and if they answer yes to any of them, they get referred to urine testing. If the result is positive, they have to complete a treatment plan and then take another test. If the second comes back positive, they get cut off from benefits for six months. Those who refuse to take a drug test in the first place can’t get benefits.

Considering I spent 2 years on welfare, I think I'm more qualified that most here as to the workings of the system

So you know what they do? They don't answer yes to any of those said questions. See, humans have this nasty little tendency to lie when its in their benefit. The honor system seems to be the only method to ensure that folks aren't using their welfare benefits for this stuff. You call it a waste of taxpayer money, I say its that little extra proof that the money is actually being used as intended.

The way I see it, welfare and food stamp cards should be programmed to only work at specific places for specific items.

And you just showed that you know nothing about the system. You can only buy certain foods with food stamps.
--Sky Kid Tai--
GSK Lives
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:
Applicants have to answer three questions about drug use to get benefits, and if they answer yes to any of them, they get referred to urine testing. If the result is positive, they have to complete a treatment plan and then take another test. If the second comes back positive, they get cut off from benefits for six months. Those who refuse to take a drug test in the first place can’t get benefits.

So you know what they do? They don't answer yes to any of those said questions. See, humans have this nasty little tendency to lie when its in their benefit. The honor system seems to be the only method to ensure that folks aren't using their welfare benefits for this stuff. You call it a waste of taxpayer money, I say its that little extra proof that the money is actually being used as intended.

The way I see it, welfare and food stamp cards should be programmed to only work at specific places for specific items.

Thanks Tai, for once again proving class warfare ain't just a democrat thing. The poor are not only junkies, but they're liars as well.

You know why I say that? Because I was a part of the welfare statistic at one point. I've seen and experienced how people exploit this system. You know the phrase "seeing is believing"?

Class warfare is simply a rallying cry for those who lack both the work ethic and self respect to better themselves.

Except that you are forgetting a lot of people are busting a** and still getting no results...either working the same old tired job and switching to another from time to time and/or taking on tons of debt from college.
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

So you're telling me with this cracker jack system only 1% tested positive for drugs? I WONDER ******** WHY!?

Talk about a waste of ******** money. What half-retarded pond scum came up with this ingenious plan?

So, in other words, you believe that most people on Welfare ARE drug users. Just because.

Why? Is there any evidence to back up that, or is it a gut feeling?

Heroic Hero

Mei tsuki7
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:

And you just showed that you know nothing about the system. You can only buy certain foods with food stamps.

Though that doesn't quite apply to people who receive welfare in the form of cash

Barton Paladin

17,690 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
GSK Lives
Elraine Figarette
You mean most poor people aren't poor because they're lazy a** junkies who refuse to get a job? Have my rich conservative representatives been lying to me all this time??? Oh, the humanity!

B...but the pundits! Surely the likes of Ann Coulter and Bill O Rielly wouldn't steer us wrong, would they?
Our Father, who Art on Fox News, O'Reilly be thy name. Thy business come, thy will be done, on the rest of the world as you'd like it to be in the U.S. Give us this day our daily bull, and forgive corporations as we do not do for the poor. Amen.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

So you're telling me with this cracker jack system only 1% tested positive for drugs? I WONDER ******** WHY!?

Talk about a waste of ******** money. What half-retarded pond scum came up with this ingenious plan?

So, in other words, you believe that most people on Welfare ARE drug users. Just because.

Ah, yes. "Because you believe a bullshit test is bullshit because it offers no realist results, you obviously believe the opposite of the results is true!" Congrats. You're officially as stupid as the idiot who thought this up.

I think drug testing should be required when a good chunk of state-run and government-run programs are involved. And if you're going to stay, "b-b-but RIGHTS" a business has a right to make sure you're not high before they give you money. The government should be able to do it, too.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mei tsuki7
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:

Someone here hasn't researched other states. In my state you can buy all foods, save pet foods, booze, and select energy products and items that have "supplement facts" instead of "nutrition facts."

Take one happy step into Minnesota and they've got a cash option where they can buy food if they want OOOOOOOOOR they can take cash off their card for literally almost anything else they need. Minnesota Welfare and SNAP are nearly indistinguishable.
Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Ah, yes. "Because you believe a bullshit test is bullshit because it offers no realist results, you obviously believe the opposite of the results is true!" Congrats. You're officially as stupid as the idiot who thought this up.

I think drug testing should be required when a good chunk of state-run and government-run programs are involved. And if you're going to stay, "b-b-but RIGHTS" a business has a right to make sure you're not high before they give you money. The government should be able to do it, too.

But you are assuming there is a connection between welfare recipients and drug use in the first place. It's not about what this one test found, there was never any reason to assume that in the first place.

Omnipresent Warlord

Alexander J Luthor
Mei tsuki7
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:

Someone here hasn't researched other states. In my state you can buy all foods, save pet foods, booze, and select energy products and items that have "supplement facts" instead of "nutrition facts."

Take one happy step into Minnesota and they've got a cash option where they can buy food if they want OOOOOOOOOR they can take cash off their card for literally almost anything else they need. Minnesota Welfare and SNAP are nearly indistinguishable.

"literally almost anything else they need"

Prove it.

Omnipresent Warlord

Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

The difference being that businesses may be liable for misconduct caused by their employees whether or not they knew about it ahead of time. If a bus driver gets drunk, crashes, and kills the passengers then the bus company can expect to be sued.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

But you are assuming there is a connection between welfare recipients and drug use in the first place. It's not about what this one test found, there was never any reason to assume that in the first place.

Obviously not everyone on welfare is on drugs. Obviously the number is not under 1%. The fact that money was wasted on such a farce of a "test" is infuriating and (usually I lean left from my individual lamp post) this adds fuel to the Democratic claim that people shouldn't be "forced against their will" to submit to scheduled and/or random drug testing in order to receive their benefits.

I would like to believe that there are no druggies and lazy assholes on assistance, but unfortunately I've been working with people since I could get a job. And there are too many people who are skeezy as ******** and are making more money than I was with one job. I knew a guy who sat on unemployment while his heavily pregnant girlfriend worked all day to make up for what he wasn't getting when he didn't work his seasonal job. He couldn't be bothered to apply for a secondary seasonal job because his other job was just so hard and he was afraid he wouldn't keep getting his laze around money. Which is bull. My dad worked jobs like that when I was a kid and he had it worked out just fine.

Some people are scum bags, and in order to root those people out and punish them we have to make compromises. As someone who has been taken care of with, and has applied for, benefits I see absolutely nothing wrong with drug testing.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Omnileech
Alexander J Luthor
Mei tsuki7
--Sky Kid Tai--
Quote:

"literally almost anything else they need"

Prove it.

I've had people come through with clothes, laundry supplies, toiletries, hair product, cleaning supplies, etc. And that's the stuff I think should slide because you need some of this. Why you'd sacrifice food for it, I dunno. They can pull money off their cards and use it for whatever because the money can't be followed once it's off the card.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Omnileech
Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

The difference being that businesses may be liable for misconduct caused by their employees whether or not they knew about it ahead of time. If a bus driver gets drunk, crashes, and kills the passengers then the bus company can expect to be sued.

Sooo because the government can't be sued directly when someone uses welfare money to buy s**t... we shouldn't enforce drug testing?
I used to administer drug tests at my old job, which is a professional way of saying I dipped sticks into pee. Considering the frequency of marijuana these days, I think something had to have gone wrong in the system. When we did it, we just threw the tests away and wrote on a paper what the results were, then we handed that paper off to the nurses and that was it.
Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Matt Pniewski
Alexander J Luthor
Quote:

Obviously not everyone on welfare is on drugs. Obviously the number is not under 1%. The fact that money was wasted on such a farce of a "test" is infuriating and (usually I lean left from my individual lamp post) this adds fuel to the Democratic claim that people shouldn't be "forced against their will" to submit to scheduled and/or random drug testing in order to receive their benefits.

I would like to believe that there are no druggies and lazy assholes on assistance, but unfortunately I've been working with people since I could get a job. And there are too many people who are skeezy as ******** and are making more money than I was with one job. I knew a guy who sat on unemployment while his heavily pregnant girlfriend worked all day to make up for what he wasn't getting when he didn't work his seasonal job. He couldn't be bothered to apply for a secondary seasonal job because his other job was just so hard and he was afraid he wouldn't keep getting his laze around money. Which is bull. My dad worked jobs like that when I was a kid and he had it worked out just fine.

Some people are scum bags, and in order to root those people out and punish them we have to make compromises. As someone who has been taken care of with, and has applied for, benefits I see absolutely nothing wrong with drug testing.

I like how you say "Obviously" like it's just a commonly known fact that everyone is supposed to just accept. But all you are doing is insisting it's true than making an argument. You are instead saying "Well, I knew a guy." That sort of unprovable anecdotal story is the type everyone uses when they can't actually back up what they say.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff