• Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
No. I've had time to talk to you and can see you are not a bad person. I'm just pretty cautious with the law. I have several friends who are officers so you can imagine I've heard some real horror stories. So illegal searching happens over there too huh? I've been out with friends is my cousin's estate before now and had police try to search us merely for daring to stick our noses out of our own front doors. Never bothered with me, they were more interested in the lads I was out with but I can relate.

Oh yeah, they happen a lot here. This might just be an American thing, but the general perception is that you just let cops do pretty much whatever they want even if you don't agree with it, but that attitude is starting to change in light of recent police shootings and police brutality caught on video. This is why it's important for people to know their rights around here, because in many (mostly poor) neighborhoods police act like they own the place, and police harassment is common, so knowing when you can legally tell them to back off is helpful.
I hear you and it definitely isn't just in America. It happens here but it is more under wraps, you don't really hear about it and it's mostly young kids or teens from deprived neighborhoods who are targeted and nobody listens to them so it goes unnoticed, or ignored, however you look at it. Not brutality so much, most officers know that they have to be very careful with how they handle suspects (mainly due to so many attempted lawsuits against officers for rough handling, supported by EU h&s/ human rights laws). But many regard the police force in England to be a joke, full of officers who mean well but are tied down by too many restrictions to be effective.
And it seems like America has the opposite problem. People have just let police do what ever they want, utterly confident that they only do bad things for good reasons, for so long that now police are literally allowed to steal from you if they "believe the property has been used or will be used in a crime", they don't even have to convict you of anything. This includes money by the way, and they abuse the hell out of it, some departments get a fair chunk of their budget from Civil Forfeiture.

Since Reagan started the "War on Drugs" police forces have been abusing their newly granted powers, the only difference now is that everyone has a camera in their pocket and can catch them when they do it.

Honestly my perception of cops in the UK is that they're generally more laid back and friendly than cops here. Here the presence of police makes people anxious.
It seems to be that in the UK, the police don't have enough powers and in the US they have too many. You would have thought that if we can send men to the moon we could find a happy medium xd You get some friendly police here in the UK, it's true, but it can sometimes feel a bit forced and purely because they are afraid that they will get complaints lodged about them. We have border police too scared to stop people of eastern decent flying to Turkey because they might get labelled as racists, yet these are people that might come back and commit terrorist acts or they may be being forced by family members. Of course, you're always going to get bad eggs in every batch and that's going to lead to bad cases but if you're too afraid to act there's never going to be any good one's either. It's sad really.
Racial profiling is defiantly still a thing in The States, but it usually gets ignored, and people dismiss it when you point it out because they desperately want to believe that racism isn't still a thing.

I'm not even saying the police see it as racism, but they do stop blacks and Hispanics way more than other ethnic groups, and they do give them harsher penalties. Now the younger generation, who has grown up in an increasingly diverse society, sees it and we refuse to accept it as the status quo.

I will say there is the fear that political correctness could turn our legal system into a joke like in Europe (yes, it actually comes up a lot when we talk about this), and that we need to be "hard on crime" to avoid that, but that has been used to justify some heinous crap. When you have the second highest incarceration rate in the world (700/100,000, about the same as North Korea), and most of your inmates are black or Hispanic, you're doing something wrong.
Indeed, it would appear so. I see England is a lot lower with only 148/100000 but I would imagine the same ethnic proportions to be present as in the US. There just seem to be a lot of negative errors being made in justice systems around the world and that is rather worrisome.

Ice-Cold Hunter

10,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
I'm not ignoring it, I see it and understand what's going on. I just don't care. I've seen too much pain and suffering in this world to be bothered about a little bit more going on. Take half and hour to watch the news and I guarantee this will not seem like a big deal.

I have watched the news and this is still a big deal. Also, by not caring you aren't doing anything about it. So I mean yeah, You're still part of it. And the part where you said no big loss is disgusting. Those people could have been innocent and now they never get a chance to prove it, Even if they are convicted doesn't guarantee they are guilty. Plus they died in horrid ways for minor infractions. I mean horrid, Have you ever been without water? I have. I've gotten so sick I puked everything up. Being without water hurts really really bad. They toretured those prisoners and you don't even care, That is sick
Heard the one about the 4000 people that have died so far from Ebola? Or about the thousands of people being forced from their homes, massacred or tortured by islamic exstremists in the east? That is what I call sick. There are millions of people going through hell at this time yet here we are arguing about fate of 3 individuals.

3 individuals who died in horrible very preventable ways unlike all those other things. This should have never happened. Which is what makes it so horrible in it's own right and it scares the population even more. We are already terrorized by the idea of going to jail for doing absolutely nothing at all. Now we are to get tortured medieval style should we ever do a minor infraction? We'd be subjected to something that is so preventable?
Are you suggesting that none of the deaths from my other examples were preventable? Do you really believe that we have done everything in our power to stop these atrocities? The only reason there is uproar about these deaths is because they occurred in a western country where these sorts of events are not expected to happen or commonplace. The reason that we are content to ignore these sorts os things from other countries is because it is believed to be the norm, even though we are talking massive numbers. You'll notice that we only really became concerned with Ebola after it had been confirmed in the US and Europe, or that the ISIS had started threatening the lives of western hostages because we value ourselves above the people who face these sorts of situations everyday. And they have no one to defend them.

They are only preventable by the people who cause them. As much as we fight those countries with such bigots are going to continue to kill still. It's not going to end until they end it themselves, Outside forces can only do so much, but we can prevent this sort of thing from our own inside forces. Plus, ebola isn't exactly preventable as of yet.
It has already been proven that the best survival rates for Ebola come from treatment in the early stages. There is no definitive 'cure' but that doesn't mean we couldn't be doing a better job of containing it so it doesn't spread to more people. You may not be able to stop these things but you prevent it affecting other areas. The more they spread, the more power they gain, the more people they affect and the more suffering they cause. And that can be applied to both ebola and islamic insurgency as well as all manner of other things.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
So people like this kid who might deserve a second chance (if ever given a real chance instead of just shoved into prison and then back onto the streets) gets this...

while people who do major offenses and who should maybe be dead in the worst possible ways... get to live 20 or more years?

I don't get it.

Dedicated Student

Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Heard the one about the 4000 people that have died so far from Ebola? Or about the thousands of people being forced from their homes, massacred or tortured by islamic exstremists in the east? That is what I call sick. There are millions of people going through hell at this time yet here we are arguing about fate of 3 individuals.

3 individuals who died in horrible very preventable ways unlike all those other things. This should have never happened. Which is what makes it so horrible in it's own right and it scares the population even more. We are already terrorized by the idea of going to jail for doing absolutely nothing at all. Now we are to get tortured medieval style should we ever do a minor infraction? We'd be subjected to something that is so preventable?
Are you suggesting that none of the deaths from my other examples were preventable? Do you really believe that we have done everything in our power to stop these atrocities? The only reason there is uproar about these deaths is because they occurred in a western country where these sorts of events are not expected to happen or commonplace. The reason that we are content to ignore these sorts os things from other countries is because it is believed to be the norm, even though we are talking massive numbers. You'll notice that we only really became concerned with Ebola after it had been confirmed in the US and Europe, or that the ISIS had started threatening the lives of western hostages because we value ourselves above the people who face these sorts of situations everyday. And they have no one to defend them.

They are only preventable by the people who cause them. As much as we fight those countries with such bigots are going to continue to kill still. It's not going to end until they end it themselves, Outside forces can only do so much, but we can prevent this sort of thing from our own inside forces. Plus, ebola isn't exactly preventable as of yet.
It has already been proven that the best survival rates for Ebola come from treatment in the early stages. There is no definitive 'cure' but that doesn't mean we couldn't be doing a better job of containing it so it doesn't spread to more people. You may not be able to stop these things but you prevent it affecting other areas. The more they spread, the more power they gain, the more people they affect and the more suffering they cause. And that can be applied to both ebola and islamic insurgency as well as all manner of other things.

The point is these deaths were completely preventable. And easily preventable. The other stuff while preventable and treatable are not easily so. This should have never ever ever happened. Ever. But keep living in deliusional lala land where you think if you don't do the crime you won't wind up in jail because that is a far cry from the truth. That isn't even true of conviction. Stop spreading lies.

Ice-Cold Hunter

10,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan

The point is these deaths were completely preventable. And easily preventable. The other stuff while preventable and treatable are not easily so. This should have never ever ever happened. Ever. But keep living in deliusional lala land where you think if you don't do the crime you won't wind up in jail because that is a far cry from the truth. That isn't even true of conviction. Stop spreading lies.
I'm more interested in the big numbers. And, as said before, I live in England where we grant bail to murderers and give heroin dealers cautions so you'll forgive me if I'm not that worried about being an innocent put in prison. Most criminals don't even go to prison stare

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Is '******** the pigs' appropriate here? I thought corrections officers were not police per se, so I'd like to get my statement right.

Dedicated Student

Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan

I'm more interested in the big numbers. And, as said before, I live in England where we grant bail to murderers and give heroin dealers cautions so you'll forgive me if I'm not that worried about being an innocent put in prison. Most criminals don't even go to prison stare

Fine whatever. Still. Don't spread outright lies.

Ice-Cold Hunter

10,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Makto txan palulukan

Fine whatever. Still. Don't spread outright lies.
There were no lies that I am aware of in any of my posts.

Familiar Smoker

Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
I hear you and it definitely isn't just in America. It happens here but it is more under wraps, you don't really hear about it and it's mostly young kids or teens from deprived neighborhoods who are targeted and nobody listens to them so it goes unnoticed, or ignored, however you look at it. Not brutality so much, most officers know that they have to be very careful with how they handle suspects (mainly due to so many attempted lawsuits against officers for rough handling, supported by EU h&s/ human rights laws). But many regard the police force in England to be a joke, full of officers who mean well but are tied down by too many restrictions to be effective.
And it seems like America has the opposite problem. People have just let police do what ever they want, utterly confident that they only do bad things for good reasons, for so long that now police are literally allowed to steal from you if they "believe the property has been used or will be used in a crime", they don't even have to convict you of anything. This includes money by the way, and they abuse the hell out of it, some departments get a fair chunk of their budget from Civil Forfeiture.

Since Reagan started the "War on Drugs" police forces have been abusing their newly granted powers, the only difference now is that everyone has a camera in their pocket and can catch them when they do it.

Honestly my perception of cops in the UK is that they're generally more laid back and friendly than cops here. Here the presence of police makes people anxious.
It seems to be that in the UK, the police don't have enough powers and in the US they have too many. You would have thought that if we can send men to the moon we could find a happy medium xd You get some friendly police here in the UK, it's true, but it can sometimes feel a bit forced and purely because they are afraid that they will get complaints lodged about them. We have border police too scared to stop people of eastern decent flying to Turkey because they might get labelled as racists, yet these are people that might come back and commit terrorist acts or they may be being forced by family members. Of course, you're always going to get bad eggs in every batch and that's going to lead to bad cases but if you're too afraid to act there's never going to be any good one's either. It's sad really.
Racial profiling is defiantly still a thing in The States, but it usually gets ignored, and people dismiss it when you point it out because they desperately want to believe that racism isn't still a thing.

I'm not even saying the police see it as racism, but they do stop blacks and Hispanics way more than other ethnic groups, and they do give them harsher penalties. Now the younger generation, who has grown up in an increasingly diverse society, sees it and we refuse to accept it as the status quo.

I will say there is the fear that political correctness could turn our legal system into a joke like in Europe (yes, it actually comes up a lot when we talk about this), and that we need to be "hard on crime" to avoid that, but that has been used to justify some heinous crap. When you have the second highest incarceration rate in the world (700/100,000, about the same as North Korea), and most of your inmates are black or Hispanic, you're doing something wrong.
Indeed, it would appear so. I see England is a lot lower with only 148/100000 but I would imagine the same ethnic proportions to be present as in the US. There just seem to be a lot of negative errors being made in justice systems around the world and that is rather worrisome.
Very true, but I can't help but feel like we have a real shot at fixing some of these problems. Especially now that communication is so seamless that having conversations with complete strangers thousands of miles away is relatively commonplace.

Ice-Cold Hunter

10,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan
TANRailgun
Makto txan palulukan

Very true, but I can't help but feel like we have a real shot at fixing some of these problems. Especially now that communication is so seamless that having conversations with complete strangers thousands of miles away is relatively commonplace.
You would have thought so but I sometimes feel that now we have intercontinental communication people are talking less. We never seem to really talk to other countries, just at them and nobody is prepared to do anything that anyone else thinks is good... The price of pride.
This isn't just criminally negligent homicide. This is torture. Especially leaving Woods and Jefferson to suffer for so many days in severe pain. Can you imagine knowing your going to die a slow painful death and no one will help you?
I'm going to be sick
Blood Valkyrie
God. ********. Damn. It. America!!!!
Are we officially a Crapsack World?!
sliding to the second world then the third, but at least we still have a huge military..

Familiar Smoker

guy30
Blood Valkyrie
God. ********. Damn. It. America!!!!
Are we officially a Crapsack World?!
sliding to the second world then the third, but at least we still have a huge military..
Not to be "that guy" but the US is the very definition of the "first world", literally.
Why do they let these guys go free? They should get subjected to things worse than what there inmates experienced. Being a criminal doesn't make you inhuman.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff