Welcome to Gaia! ::

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
T3h Jinji
When you think about it, it's not actually that shocking. Germany has been in denial about the events of Hitler's reign since it happened. Is it really surprising the country wasn't entirely forthcoming about the number of camps there actually were?

I'm more interested to know how much this changes the numbers involved. You know, the oft repeated 6 million Jewish people killed? Given the number of camps, that probably isn't true anymore.

Germany has hardly been in denial. It's illegal to own any kind of Nazi paraphenalia from WWII. Neo-Nazi organizations or anything resembling them are illegal. In all of Europe, Germany has more laws protecting against a recurrence of Nazism than any other nation.

And in the schools, there's no lack of education about what happened, who did it, and why the post-war generations of Germans have a responsibility to prevent it from happening again.

Perhaps you're thinking of Japan, which still insists that the "comfort women" (read: sex slaves) were actually volunteers. That's denial.

Like you, I'm also wondering if this will change the numbers involved. I doubt it, because census figures give us a good count of how many people vanished. Holocaust deniers base their fallacious beliefs, in part, on arguments that there were too few camps to hold, let alone exterminate, so many people in a relatively short time. Now that the real number of camps is becoming known, it's easier to see how millions of people could be killed in just a few years.

Partying Reveler

You need to show this to the people of Tumblr who seem to make a running joke out of Hitler and the whole horrible event .

Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
Neon Wasteland
You need to show this to the people of Tumblr who seem to make a running joke out of Hitler and the whole horrible event .

Anyone who'd like to carry it there is welcome to.

Quotable Noob

8,950 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Window Shopper 100
We can't leave out the intern camps for the Japanese-American citizens in California during WWII. Of course not to the same scale and atrocities as the Nazis and Japanese or didn't you read that in our history books?As they say, 'war is hell' even in your own backyard.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Bellyaches Method
We didn't learn what the Japanese did during occupation. (I remember, I was good at history). But to be fair, the only thing we learned about the Cold War was that there was one and Russia was involved. Literally. That was it.
That might've just been the schools I went to, but I went to a total of five middle and high schools, so you'd think one of them would at least get it right.

I honestly can't remember how much I got taught but I think it was a bit more than that - at least at the high school level. What popped into my head as I was reading your comment was how in grade school they used to teach us to hide under our desks - including for a nuclear attack. While I acknowledge that if you are far enough away from ground zero to just have a piece of debris fall from the ceiling that might help - they never bothered telling us (in the younger years) how a nuke could vaporize entire buildings / areas. I think it was more about wanting us to feel safe and hoping for the best.

6,350 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
We'e learning more about the Holocaust in school. So sad cat_crying

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items