Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Gawker

article

One of the most successful coaches in the state of Alabama is suddenly out of a job after he was dismissed for what initially seems to be a remarkably trivial reason: He attends the wrong church.

As reported by the Montgomery Advertiser, Prattville (Ala.) East Memorial Christian Academy super coach Scott Phillips, who led the school’s football program to its first state playoff birth in years and coached the boys basketball team to the first state title in any sport, was dismissed because he refused to force his family to attend East Memorial Baptist Church.

While Phillips had never been forced to attend the school’s affiliated church when he was only a coach, that changed when he became the school’s athletic director. As confirmed by the Advertiser, East Memorial Christian Academy’s athletic director was expected to attend the East Memorial Baptist Church, even though there was allegedly not an official clause in the contract requiring such attendance.

Phillips tried to make that work, getting his family to start each Sunday at a 9 a.m. service at East Memorial before attending an 11 a.m. service at his family’s church of choice, Church of the Highlands. Eventually that routine began to make Phillips feel dishonest, leading to a conversation with East Memorial officials where the coach and AD told them he didn’t feel comfortable attending Sunday services at East Memorial Baptist.

That was the last conversation he would have as the school’s AD.

"I was 30 seconds from turning the job down because of the church issue," Phillips told the Advertiser. "They wanted me to transition from the Church of the Highlands to East Memorial. I never really liked that, so I went back in my administrator’s office and told them I was willing to give this a try, but I don’t know how this will work out?

"That was the last thing said."

Phillips insists that he tried to shift his family from Church of the Highlands to Eastern Memorial Baptist, but said he never reached any level of comfort about the decision. Eventually, he had to deal with the situation head-on, hoping that Eastern Memorial officials would be reasonable about his faith.
That was apparently too much to ask.

"In a nutshell, I told them I miss my old church," Phillips recalls. "I went in to share my heart to a pastor. Knowing what might happen, but kind of saying, 'Maybe we can work something out?' I knew that wasn’t going to be the end of it because it was going to be a process. It wasn’t received well."

Moonlight Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hunter 50
Poor guy. Religion shouldn't be a determining factor in whether someone is qualified for the job. Neither should be what church he attends.

I thought the US had freedom of religion. I'd hate to think of the controversy if he wasn't Christian. I guess he'd never have the opportunity to reach that position in the first place. Please someone show me an example that proves me wrong.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
******** you, Pratville. He helped you lazy dicks get some sports honors, and you turn around and fire him for not going to "the right church?"

I hope he sues and gets millions.

Dapper Gawker

This is bullshit, way to get specific :s

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Aliiak
Poor guy. Religion shouldn't be a determining factor in whether someone is qualified for the job. Neither should be what church he attends.

I thought the US had freedom of religion. I'd hate to think of the controversy if he wasn't Christian. I guess he'd never have the opportunity to reach that position in the first place. Please someone show me an example that proves me wrong.

They never said he was not qualified.
He is working for a private religious academy and his freedom of religion is what allowed him to agree to their terms or not - just as their freedom allowed them to make requirements that some might seem unreasonable. In a nutshell it is an embarrassment for them that their head coach does not like their church.

That said it still seems kind of crappy of them. And depending on how his contract was written he may have grounds for some sort of lawsuit or something. The article says the church requirement was not part of his contract so presumably he did not violate it.
Quote:
Christian Academy

That's all I needed to read.

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
If the school judges teachers based on what church they go to, they don't deserve the honors those teachers help to win.

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
The only time going to the wrong church should get you fired is when that church you go to is the Westboro Baptist Church.

Aged Lunatic

Christians. Following the same religion and faith in Christ just ain't enough for them.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

=.=; That is the most rediculous s**t...

Tipsy Smoker

GunsmithKitten
Christians. Following the same religion and faith in Christ just ain't enough for them.
Well different Christians follow different principles...But it wasn't the religion he had a problem with. I think he just felt more comfortable in a setting he was already familiar with. Perhaps his friends and family attended the church they wanted him to leave.
GunsmithKitten

Something I heard years ago:
2000 years ago Jesus came down and told us not to kill each other.
Since then we have slaughtered each other over how he said it.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
Holy hell, I know the pastor of this school.

Never thought I'd see news from around here on Gaia of all places.

Dapper Dabbler

10,300 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200
To be completely honest, this probably has more to do with money than anything else. There are churches on every street corner around here, and a lot of competition for a congregation. I know East Memorial isn't one of the biggest churches in the area, so it's probably trying to get as many people as it can, even to the point of doing stuff like this.

In a relationship with Genesis Kyris

Hilarious Nerd

20,500 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
victor gusta queso
To be completely honest, this probably has more to do with money than anything else. There are churches on every street corner around here, and a lot of competition for a congregation. I know East Memorial isn't one of the biggest churches in the area, so it's probably trying to get as many people as it can, even to the point of doing stuff like this.

It is still illegal though. Forcing people to attend your Church is not going to make anyone want to attend .... I know I wouldn't, if I were a Christian.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff