Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Pro-Life Nurse Sues Family Planning Clinic for Not Hiring Her to Do the Job She Refused to Do

Quote:
We have a new frontrunner in the race for dumbest Christian Right lawsuit.

Sara Hellwege, a pro-life nurse, applied for a job at Tampa Family Health Centers (in Florida) this past April. TFHC is a Title X clinic, meaning they’re all about things like family planning, contraception, and birth control.

So when Hellwege mentioned her affiliation with the “American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists” in her resume, the interviewer (Chad Lindsey) asked her if that would be a problem since, you know, conservative Christians + birth control = crazytown.

Hellwege said she couldn’t prescribe birth control since, in her unscientific mind, it caused abortions. Lindsey, knowing that all of the job openings involved prescribing birth control, told her there were no other positions available and that there was no reason to proceed with the interview process.

So she’s suing him.

I repeat: She’s suing him because he’s not hiring her for a job she refuses to do.

It makes as much sense as a vegetarian suing Taco Bell for not hiring him even though he told the manager he couldn’t be near meat.

The misnamed Alliance Defending Freedom reiterated the whole misunderstanding about how birth control works while completely ignoring the job description:

“Willingness to commit an abortion cannot be a litmus test for employment,” added ADF Senior Counsel Steven H. Aden. “All we are asking is for the health center to obey the law and not make a nurse’s employment contingent upon giving up her respect for life.”

I know we’re talking about birth control, and most forms of birth control are not abortifacients, but let’s roll with it for a second. If the job involves helping women obtain abortions, and you don’t want to help women obtain abortions for whatever reason, go find another job. Hellwege can’t do the very thing they need her to do.

No one owes her a job when she refuses to do it.

Maybe I should apply for an attorney position at ADF. My own sincere beliefs prevent me from defending Christians who have martyr complexes, but screw it. ADF owes me a paycheck.

Gregory M. Lipper of Americans United for Separation of Church and State put it simply: “Even after Hobby Lobby, this lawsuit retires the trophy for chutzpah.”

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Jesus Christ... would be disappointed right now.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The article you provided is so disgustingly biased.
Here are the emails between Sara and the Director
I don't know why she thinks she can do her job and not prescribe birth control. Director Lindsey's wording of his rejection of her application was a bit off though.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Shes suing them for not offering her a chance to interview for the job? If you aren't willing to perform one of the main aspects of the job and you state so up front, they aren't going to offer you a job. They could as easily have said that they wouldn't hire her because she didn't have her license or boards.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
SparkyKid3000
I don't know why she thinks she can do her job and not prescribe birth control. Director Lindsey's wording of his rejection of her application was a bit off though.

They didn't reject her application. She simply failed to make it past the email interview process as she would not be able to perform the job required.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000

They didn't reject her application. She simply failed to make it past the email interview process as she would not be able to perform the job required.

Correct. My phrasing was poor, but my point remains the same.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000

I don't think his wording was off. They were not hiring someone who would only do part of the job, and he made that clear.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000

I don't think his wording was off. They were not hiring someone who would only do part of the job, and he made that clear.

Here are his words:
Quote:
Due to the fact we are a Title X organization and you are a member of AAPLOG, we would be unable to move forward in the interviewing process.

Now had I been in his position I would have simply told her that since she would not prescribe birth control to patients she was not qualified for the position. That comes off a lot better than "you're a member of (fill in organization here) therefore we will not hire you."

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000

Here are his words:
Quote:
Due to the fact we are a Title X organization and you are a member of AAPLOG, we would be unable to move forward in the interviewing process.

Now had I been in his position I would have simply told her that since she would not prescribe birth control to patients she was not qualified for the position. That comes off a lot better than "you're a member of (fill in organization here) therefore we will not hire you."

That's actually a professional way of saying it. They're essentially pointing out a conflict of interest without specifying the specific issue explicitly.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara
SparkyKid3000
kiironobara

Here are his words:
Quote:

That's actually a professional way of saying it. They're essentially pointing out a conflict of interest without specifying the specific issue explicitly.

Meh, I guess I'm just odd. Either way, I don't think this lady is going to be successful with this lawsuit nor should she be.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
SparkyKid3000
Meh, I guess I'm just odd. Either way, I don't think this lady is going to be successful with this lawsuit nor should she be.

It's likely a way of testing the waters, but some woman in Sweden tried the same thing and did not succeed.
I hate needles. This would be like hiring me to be the person to give shots when I am phobic of needles. If she wins, I know how to get money. xD

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Do you have a link to an article on this that is not a blog?

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
washu_2004
Do you have a link to an article on this that is not a blog?

Not sure if this counts: http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/224995/pro-life-nurse-sues-family-planning-center-for-not-hiring-her-to-not-do-a-job/
completely transparent attempt to demonize a family planning clinic by stupid christian woman.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff