Welcome to Gaia! ::

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
After Sarah Cherry’s father was robbed at gunpoint two months ago at an Arkansas Domino’s pizza store, the former Army military police officer began carrying a gun with her for protection to her job at the same restaurant.

Cherry had cause to use that gun — a .380 — Wednesday night when three armed men wearing hoodies stormed into the Blytheville eatery and shot at her during a robbery attempt.

“When she came around [to the front of the store], she didn’t know what was going on,” Cherry’s father, Clint Cherry, told The Daily Caller during a phone interview. “She came around front, and she shot.”

“She was defending the people more than herself,” Cherry added, noting that there were three or four other employees in the store at the time.

Cherry said his daughter fired three shots at the assailants.

“When she shot, they took off. And then she followed them out the door to see where they were going. She might have said a few choice words too,” Cherry joked.

“She knows how to shoot,” the proud father added, mentioning that his daughter was a military police officer during her six years in the Army. “She could have hit them if she wanted to.”

Clint Cherry himself has stared down the barrel of a gun — and it wasn’t during his own 28-year military career.

Two months ago an armed robber “stuck a gun in my face,” Cherry said, adding that he handed the robber the $18 he had in his pocket.

“There’s so much stuff going on in this town,” Cherry told TheDC.

He rattled off a list of businesses in town that have been robbed recently. Besides his own store, an insurance company down the street was recently hit. As was a chicken restaurant. A gas station across town was robbed Friday, he said.

“I told her, I said, use it to protect yourself,” Cherry says he told his daughter of her work gun. “We lose our job, we lose our job, but we’re going to protect ourselves.”

Like many restaurants, Domino’s has a corporate policy prohibiting employees from carrying guns while at work. Many have questioned whether these policies are wise, especially for employees of pizza restaurants, whose delivery drivers are prime targets for criminals.

Such a policy came up several weeks ago when a Papa John’s pizza delivery driver in Georgia shot a man in the face as he attempted to rob her at gunpoint.

Papa John’s also has a corporate policy prohibiting employees from carrying guns, even for protection. That employee initially worried that she would lose her job, but the company decided against the idea several days later. Instead, the company gave her a job inside a store and offered her counseling.

Domino’s employees have lost their jobs in the past for shooting at armed robbers in self-defense. The company requires employees to sign an agreement containing a clause about not carrying weapons.

A spokesman for Domino’s corporate office said that the decision to fire Cherry over the incident would be up to the franchisee who owns the Blytheville store.

“The corporate office has no authority in making personnel decisions for independent business owners,” Tim McIntyre, senior vice president of corporate communications for Domino’s told TheDC.

Clint Cherry said that he is certain that the independent franchisee supports his daughter and will not fire her.

TheDC was unable to reach the franchisee.

Pizza

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
What happened to franchises being independent? The dicks who own McDonalds up here will gladly hire thieves who will break any goddamn labor law they want, then they'll hire them back if McDonald's corporate fires them for costing them hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines.

No seriously. Some a*****e at one of the McDs forced a guy who had a s**t-FILLED TOILET explode all over him put on a trash bag and keep cooking food. He vomited from the stench, left it to other cooks, and went back to the emergency phone while that same boss sat on his a** in the back office. He called OHSA and corporate, and a not two days later, representatives from both were there, and after all the stories were told, this McDs owed over 250k in fines, which the McDs guy managed to whittle down to just about 50k because they agreed to fire the manager. Then the b***h who owned the franchise HIRED HIM BACK. It was futile though, he ******** up again and got fired again.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

14,075 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Flatterer 200
I'd give her a raise.

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
that was a very brave thing 4 her 2 do especially if her dad said its been happening 2 alot of places around there.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Domino’s employees have lost their jobs in the past for shooting at armed robbers in self-defense. The company requires employees to sign an agreement containing a clause about not carrying weapons.

Personally I don't agree with this policy.
HOWEVER - If an employee agrees up front not to do "X" and then does "X" anyway it's not a big surprise if they get fired.
If employees are unwilling to agree to an employer's policy they should not sign a document agreeing to it.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
David2074

HOWEVER - If an employee agrees up front not to do "X" and then does "X" anyway it's not a big surprise if they get fired.
If employees are unwilling to agree to an employer's policy they should not sign a document agreeing to it.
Generally they don't hire them then. They'll go with what ever fool who would sign it.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
xdivision_whitey
David2074

Generally they don't hire them then. They'll go with what ever fool who would sign it.

You kind of reversed what I was saying.
If that is their standard policy as stated in the article then presumably this girl - as well as that other employee referenced from a different restaurant - signed such a statement agreeing to abide by those terms. If an employee is not willing to accept the terms of employment the employee should withdraw their application - it should not matter if the restaurant is willing to hire them.
But yes, if they refuse to sign then I assume the restaurant would not hire them.

As I already stated, I do not personally agree with that policy. I have a concealed carry permit and if I was doing a job like pizza delivery, especially at night, I would probably carry. But I wouldn't sign a statement promising I wouldn't and then do it anyway. I would just find an employer that didn't make me sign such a statement.

Although I am on the side of my personal rights / protecting myself I can understand the viewpoint from both sides. You are the CEO / owner / (whatever) of a large national chain you have worked hard to build up. Your restaurant chain hires thousands of drivers and other employees. It is a reality of life that pizza delivery driver is not a career job so you tend to get a lot of young, immature, sometimes less reliable employees even with screening. Then one of those employees makes headlines for killing one or more of your customers when they show up at the door. They may or may not have obeyed local gun laws or exercised good common sense. Worse, they may have accidentally shot someone other than their target - like a kid.
No matter the situation, they were wearing your pizza company vest or hat and working for you and unless the facts are very clear cut there is likely to be a lawsuit against your company. Maybe the guy did threaten you. Maybe he did have a weapon. But by the time the cops and paramedics get there there is no weapon to be found and screaming pissed off family members are claiming you shot him for "no reason". Let the PR fiasco begin.

A company I worked for for years had no such policy. We could carry if we wanted to and some of us did. I personally only carried to work a very few times over the years. Now I can't even remember why as I did not feel unsafe at my job. I think I was testing a new holster or something. But the same company did not do drug testing either. We were doing skilled, "white collar" work and you were expected to be responsible and reliable. If you were not, they would make changes. If you were, they didn't really care what you did on your own time.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff