Welcome to Gaia! ::

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
xdivision_whitey
Tsuki_Kirkland
I read about that, those teachers are a disgrace to educators everywhere with the way they apparently treated this child.

I wish they had gotten fired instead of apparently just being reprimanded and reassigned like they were. The way they bullied that child is not acceptable and they are people who do not deserve a job in education.
Don't you love unions.

Sometimes they hurt more than they help.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

5,000 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Contributor 150
That teacher and the aide should be ashamed of themselves. Children with disabilities already have a hard time making friends and feeling positive about themselves. I know this because I was born with Cerebral Palsy and middle school and the first two years of high school ******** sucked for me!

Aekea Explorer

12,950 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Noble Shade 100
What pisses me off is the fact that the school doesn't seem to consider that all of the other students in Akian's class may be going through the same thing by not firing these people!
disgusting. All the other teachers who bullied that boy should've been fired and definitely not reassigned. They shouldn't be allowed to continue teaching. And the district's actions most certainly were not justified

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
It's too bad that not too many teachers are even trained to handle kids with Autism. If teachers cannot teach a child with Autism, how does society expect these kids to be able to handle life in the real world? It is difficult for a person with Autism to focus outside of their minds. Unless you know how to direct their attention. Most people (myself included) have no clue how to do that.

I have to admit that a kid going down the halls yelling like that is kind of funny. Not laughing at the child. But laughing because the situation is out of the norm and very random. I would laugh all the same if a normal child did that. The same as I would if somebody was walking by and randomly started to sing the Oscar Mayer song just for the hell of it. Even more funny if it was sung at "just the right moment". It breaks up the boredom and lightens the mood.
In retrospect, I am not at all being cruel when I laugh at somebody when they do something I think is silly.

These teachers should NOT just be reassigned, but should be going through rigorous training in dealing with handicapped children and in sensitivity training. Because there is no excuse for this crap. If they still cannot handle the job, then they should be fired.

Also, kids who find it difficult to communicate, often lash out in frustration. Just the same as any person who has any level of brain damage and has difficulty in communicating. I should know.

Bashful Streaker

The story made me upset. They should had fired everyone who caused his misbehaving but also those who watched it happen and did nothing to it.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Not gonna read.

I was in Special Ed.

The Teachers and Aides told every parent that their child was actting up, out of control, and needed on medication or their medicine to be increased in dosage.

They liked to have 200-300 pound Aides.

These Aides would restrain us or sit on us until we pased out ( some times passed that).

When the Teachers were having problems with their Families and Relationships, they'd take it out on us. They'd call our parents and say they couldn't handle us any more ( all of us) because we were so out of control. They'd pick on random students, then wrestle them to the ground.. which made the kid cry, then they had an excuse to restrain and/or sit on them for minutes or even hours. Then they'd do things to make the kid cry.

If you had speech inpediments you were picked on by the teachers. If you had facial ticks, they made you sit infront of the class with a mirror next to you. Then they'd yell at you randomly which would make things worse.

Oh,.. and no matter how great every field of their list was for me,.. I was a terror on the School Bus stare

Here is what I did the majority of the time I was on School Buses....

"Zzz"

Here is what I tend to do when I am on public transportation...

"Zzz"

We knew one of my former bus drivers for a while. They drove me for a year or two ( not sure how long). This is what they said I often did on their bus...

"Zzz"

So far as I can recall the biggest complaint of my Bus Drivers was " We had to wake her up when we got to school".

But my Special Ed teachers claimed I was such a monster on the School Bus.

The Teachers also would get into bad moods and call every parent with the same story. " Your kid.... you kid... your kid..." Every Kid was that Bad Kid in that Identical story.

There are some good Special Ed Teachers and Tutors. But I don't expect the Bad Ones have gone extinct yet. sweatdrop

I have seen first hand all the problems Teachers cause with Special Ed and Special Needs students. So I don't need to read an article to guess what happens in it or the video. I have also witnessed events where students needed to go to the hospital after the teacher caused them injury, where the teacher had to go to the hospital after a student injured them, and the Police being called in confused For some reason you aren't allowed to Cry on a School Bus or most Bus Drivers decide to call Administration and Admin decides the Police need to remove the Student. So the Bus parks whereever it is, at the side of a road, highway, or freeway. You sit there for hours waiting for people to show up to remove the student. By the time someone comes, they need more people and take a different student or multiple students. Because many children have a meltdown while trapped on the side of the road.

Oh yes,.. and Bus drivers running over and killing Pets and Pedastrians. Bus Drivers seem to never go to jail for that. Even when they run over a child. xp Seriously, I was on buses that killed children and pets.

Nyadriel's King

Apocalyptic Shapeshifter

49,200 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Brick Breaker 50
  • Waffles! 25
Sailor Tin Nyanko
-snip-

All of that just makes me sick. None of this s**t happened decades ago when I was in school - at least, not that I ever knew of. Things sure has changed in the last two decades - for the worse!

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Alright, I hate to admit this because I don't like incorporating it into my identity but technically I'm certified to teach school in my state. I didn't go through with it because it wasn't for me, but I certainly got an inside view of how you become a teacher.

The first thing I need to tell you is that it is not hard to become a teacher (but it is hard to be a teacher because the system is pretty messed up and the kids need more than anyone is giving them for the most part). First of all, you need a Bachelor's degree. That's a four year degree, but it can be in anything, you have to go through these stupid courses which are a lot like driver's ed, and you need to take a competency test for the subject you want to teach. Then you need to take what's called a pedagogy exam, and then you can get hired as a teacher.

Once you get hired as a teacher it is very difficult for them to fire you, they can send you to another school, they can send you to be some kind of administrator, but they really have to put their asses on the line to fire you and it may not work even in the most straightforward and egregious of cases.

I want to make a point here about the special ed thing, it may not have been your idea to be a special ed teacher at all. The school will find a teacher who is underutilized and assign them to teach another subject which needs a teacher. (This why my anatomy and physiology class was taught by our soccer coach, and why my friend's dad who has a master's degree in history was asked to teach P.E.). They will give you plenty of time to take the competency test, you can teach for a long time without it before they start worrying about being in compliance with the No Child Left Behind Act.

Your special ed teacher may not have a degree in teaching special ed at all, they could just as easily be a big dude with a degree in geography or clarinet, or whatever.

Before I go, I'm going to let you look at the competency tests for my state (Texas) TExES exam.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff