Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Little Dead Soldier
Welp, this doesnt really solve the problem. There is still mistrust between citizens & police officers, nor does it stop unethical police restraint. Not saying all cops are bad, but when I have to question or pray I have a 'good' cop helping me...that presents a problem in itself.

Aye. This is like putting the cheapest, smallest Spongebob band aid on a severed limb and hoping the person who is bleeding out will be thrilled because, hey, it's Spongebob! Everyone loves Spongebob! Take no notice to the ever widening pool of blood you are sitting in. Shhh, we've addressed the problem. Sure it's not solved, but it sure is a nice band aid, right? Cheap too. We love cheap solutions, don't we? Yes, rest now. Close your eyes. Pay no mind to lack of feeling in your extremities. Everything will be alright. We're here to help. Ourselves. Go to sleep. Shhh.

Conservative Regular

Nobody Famous
So, what was the point of this law again?

To stop the Police from wasting tax payers money on cosplaying.
I've seen the police use tracks during operations.

Not for restricting black rights, but for aide.

A couple years ago we got hit with some pretty bad flooding.

They used the tracks to get people to safety. Just because it was designed for war time operations doesn't mean it cannot be refitted to fill other more humanitarian roles.
God Emperor Baldur
Quote:
President Barack Obama has banned the US government from giving certain kinds of military-style equipment to local police forces.

The announcement follows criticism that police were too heavy handed in dealing with protests in Ferguson, Missouri, that turned violent last summer.

It means armoured vehicles on tracks, camouflage uniforms and grenade launchers will no longer be given out.

Tensions between police and African-American communities are strained.

A series of fatal shootings by police have increased mistrust and sparked protests across the US.

In Ferguson and in Baltimore, those protests turned violent, with looting and arson.

But the sight of police dressed in camouflage and riot gear dealing with protests provoked a storm of criticism.

The White House wants police to retain equipment they need to maintain public order.

But a review showed five federal agencies spent $18bn (£11.5bn) on programmes that gave them 92,442 small arms, 44,275 night-vision devices, 5,235 Humvees, 617 mine-resistant vehicles and 616 aircraft.

The study said there was a "substantial risk of misusing or overusing" gear like tracked armoured vehicles, and their presence could undermine trust in police.

What will be banned:

armoured vehicles that run on a tracked system instead of wheels
armed aircraft, ships or vehicles
firearms or ammunition of .50-calibre or higher
grenade launchers
bayonets
camouflage uniforms

And still allowed:

aeroplanes, helicopters and drones
wheeled armoured vehicles
wheeled tactical vehicles, such as Humvees and 5-ton trucks
command and control vehicles
explosives and pyrotechnics
riot helmets, shields and extra-large batons

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32786241

Yes you read that right. Bayonets.

The already don't get .50 caliber or larger weaponry. So... that is touchy feely look at me I did nothing but you dumb asses will think I did...
Damned few tracked systems out there. I haven't seen one yet, in fact, even on the news from these areas.
Name the last time armed vehicles of any type were given to police. I want to see that. More smoke and mirrors.
Police have been using the equivalent of the M-79 for years and don't buy those through the military. And the issue isn't the grenade launcher. It's the fact that the police don't get grenades. Flash bangs aren't 'surplus'. The military shoots that stuff up in drills long before it can reach max age.
Bayonets....WTF? Please show the last time bayonets were used. Hell, even in the military.
Camo...yeah, because that camo s**t is lethal as ********!!

They can have... wheeled armored vehicles. Wheeled tactical vehicles. C&C vehicles...Explosives and pyrotechnics....so...where do grenades fall again? Riot shields, helmets and extra large batons...

So...all I read is that Cumsucker is not doing anything but 'banning' stuff which they already DON'T get or want, but ******** are beside themselves with glee over him 'taking initiative' to attempt to circumvent laws. In other words, he is doing nothing and expecting a parade again.
Typical.
It doesn't solve the problems but it's a step in the right direction for all citizens.

There is zero reason local PDs need to have tanks, RPGs and other weapons of war that were not designed to police US citizens. They were designed to be ultra-lethal, ultra-destructive tools for use in a war zone, not on the streets of New York city.

Police are not trained to use them. They can barely use a regular handgun or taser properly, as demonstrated by hundreds of accounts of young children (as young as 5 and 6) being tased, elderly people laying in hospital beds being tased, they've killed numerous people with tasers and they've sure been gun-happy and killed lots of people who were unarmed, running away, no danger, etc. We don't need to make the situation worse by giving them military weapons and vehicles.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

Domestic police don't need MRAPs and tanks.

User Image
Scarred Sword Heart
User Image

Domestic police don't need MRAPs and tanks.

User Image

Again, re-read it. He is NOT stopping them from getting those. He's specifying treaded vehicles, which are almost completely useless in urban environments anyway.
EVERYTHING he supposedly 'banned' they don't get anyway. Other than the uniforms, which can be bought from pretty much ever ******** store in the country.
He did NOTHING.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
i'm actually very happy that the president did something about that. because it was freaking ridiculous seeing average police officers using military weapons on citizens, and wearing military outfits. it annoys me because i'm sure most of those officers thought they looked awesome wearing their little costumes and holding their new toys. so for once THANKS OBAMA
Kyouji Kasshu
i'm actually very happy that the president did something about that. because it was freaking ridiculous seeing average police officers using military weapons on citizens, and wearing military outfits. it annoys me because i'm sure most of those officers thought they looked awesome wearing their little costumes and holding their new toys. so for once THANKS OBAMA

He did NOTHING but dupe the stupid. They still get the MRAP's that have wheels, no change there. They've never GOTTEN .50 caliber firearms from them. The only thing he did was the 'military uniforms', which are super cheap budget wise and most officers are required to buy their own any damn way.
So all this 'praise' for him is people not realizing he pulled a smoke and mirrors dog and pony show and they are celebrating... nothing.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kyouji Kasshu

He did NOTHING but dupe the stupid. They still get the MRAP's that have wheels, no change there. They've never GOTTEN .50 caliber firearms from them. The only thing he did was the 'military uniforms', which are super cheap budget wise and most officers are required to buy their own any damn way.
So all this 'praise' for him is people not realizing he pulled a smoke and mirrors dog and pony show and they are celebrating... nothing.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Kyouji Kasshu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kyouji Kasshu

Bad news for ya: Pointing out dumb s**t doesn't mean someone is pissed. Just means they are attempting to prevent others from being sucked down the stupid hole.

Wheezing Werewolf

10,950 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Bidding War 100
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kyouji Kasshu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Kyouji Kasshu

Bad news for ya: Pointing out dumb s**t doesn't mean someone is pissed. Just means they are attempting to prevent others from being sucked down the stupid hole.

i sense a lot of anger here. you are getting very worked up. lol

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces