Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quoting from www.thinkprogress.org:

Quote:
This weekend, Boyd Packer warned his fellow Mormons that the family is “under attack” from same-sex marriage. Packer is president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, making him the second most senior apostle in the Church. In a televised speech Saturday morning, Packer suggested there is a “tolerance trap” with “serious spiritual consequences” if Mormons support a violation of “God’s law of Chastity:”

PACKER: The family, The fundamental organization for time and eternity is under attack from forces seen and unseen… We need to be careful of the tolerance trap, so we do not swallow it up and get swallowed up in it. The permissiveness afforded by the weakening of the laws of the land to tolerate and legalize acts of immorality does not reduce the serious spiritual consequence that is the result from a violation of God’s law of Chastity.

(Watch it on Fox 13 News.)

Packer previously said in 2010 that gays and lesbians can “overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural.” More recently, the Mormon Church clarified some of its positions on homosexuality, admitting that being gay is not a choice, but still condemning it as sinful. To abide by their faith, gay Mormons are expected to be chaste, abandoning any experience of love or marriage in this life because “a just God will provide them with ample opportunity to do so in the next.”

Source: Mormon Apostle Warns That The Family Is 'Under Attack' from the 'Tolerance Trap'

Le sigh. They wonder why people don't trust religion as of late among other reasons? This is a good example. Discuss?
Jesus said not to judge. It isn't our place. And we should be loving everybody. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Because Paul wrote what he wrote in the bible, there's a very gray area around "homosexuality". People want to slam it and point that out as the worst sin, but somebody's open sin is no worse than your closeted sin.

People just need to stop judging. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, then BE straight. Stop worrying about and oppressing other people.

Forgive those who have sinned against you, as Our Father has forgiven you.

"Religion" is bullshit. To be a Christian is to strive to be like He who died for US. It's a lifestyle.

Mormons are a cult. From the moment you walk into that temple they start to warp your mind. <- MY THOUGHTS, definitely judging, but hey. It is what it is.
So his argument is we cannot allow gay marriage because someone sinning in a way that has absolutely no effect on you damages you? Be very careful with such reasoning less people look at your actions.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
******** you, Mormon Apostle.

Aged Lunatic

Boyd Packer?

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

When did HE get into the magic underwear cult?

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Yes, because somebody wanting to marry affects everyone else's family.
itsTim0thyy
Jesus said not to judge. It isn't our place. And we should be loving everybody. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

Because Paul wrote what he wrote in the bible, there's a very gray area around "homosexuality". People want to slam it and point that out as the worst sin, but somebody's open sin is no worse than your closeted sin.

People just need to stop judging. If you're gay, you're gay. If you're straight, then BE straight. Stop worrying about and oppressing other people.

Forgive those who have sinned against you, as Our Father has forgiven you.

"Religion" is bullshit. To be a Christian is to strive to be like He who died for US. It's a lifestyle.

Mormons are a cult. From the moment you walk into that temple they start to warp your mind. <- MY THOUGHTS, definitely judging, but hey. It is what it is.

you pretty much said what I was thinking. Throughout my study in the Bible I never once have seen in red lettering, "and man who lie with man or woman who lie with woman are going to burn in hell" in fact there was no sin that was condemned automatic 'burn in hell worthy' I do remember a lot of "you are forgiven" and "sin no mores" but hey maybe i missed that verse because i seem to notice a lot of hateful, fearful "Christians" quoting the "you're gonna burn in hell" verse. I dunno, maybe i should check again. also on another note Jesus mentioned nothing about being gay a sin. and in Acts he did say that, "nothing God has created can be deemed unclean." but like i said maybe I'm just doing it wrong.
Grand Monarch of Heaven
Yes, because somebody wanting to marry affects everyone else's family.

I know right?! Why are so many religious types so obsessed with who you love / Marry / Bone if it affects them in no way whatsoever. It makes little sense to me!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff