Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Mini-hearts grown to study disease

Thousands of miniature human hearts have been grown for medical research by scientists in Scotland.

The tiny balls of heart cells beat together in a dish every two seconds, and the tissue matches that of human heart muscle.

The researchers, at Abertay University, are using them to test potential drugs for an untreatable condition.

The research is being presented at the World Congress on Biotechnology in Valencia, Spain.

The spheres of heart cells were made with stem cells and measure just 1mm (0.04in) across.

Beating heart cells have been made before, but the researchers say this is the first time they have been used to investigate disease.

'Size does not matter'
Lead researcher Prof Nikolai Zhelev told the BBC: "They are indeed human cells, which physiologically are the same as human hearts, in this case the size does not matter.

"We induced diseases in these mini-hearts, which nobody has done yet, in particular heart hypertrophy.

"Not only that we've tested different drugs which prevented heart hypertrophy from developing in these mini-hearts."

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is an untreatable condition. The heart muscle becomes thicker and stiffer, making it harder to pump blood around the body.

In extreme cases it can even lead to the heart stopping suddenly.

Prof Zhelev said the hearts would allow researchers to rapidly screen a wide range of chemicals and see which were potential cures.

"We can work now, in one experiment, with 1,000 human hearts and test large amounts of compounds, which you can't do in animals," he said.

The researchers think they have already found one drug, currently used to treat cancer, which might help prevent hypertrophy.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Well they have grown boobs on mice.

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
xdivision_whitey

Good to know.... >>;;

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
This is awesome. I know that anti abortion people will be up in arms about this, but at least now the fetus could be seen as a "sacrifice" to the greater good. I mean, if we can somehow improve upon this, when could we start making viable organs out of stem cells? surprised

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Kaiser Khorosho
This is awesome. I know that anti abortion people will be up in arms about this, but at least now the fetus could be seen as a "sacrifice" to the greater good. I mean, if we can somehow improve upon this, when could we start making viable organs out of stem cells? surprised

It doesn't even specify whether the stem cells are embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells, though.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Teabo Milk Tea
Kaiser Khorosho

It doesn't even specify whether the stem cells are embryonic stem cells or adult stem cells, though.

Shows what I know. I guess I'm one of the programmed masses that hear "stem cells" and immediately think "aborted fetus." sweatdrop

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
Kaiser Khorosho
Teabo Milk Tea
Kaiser Khorosho

Shows what I know. I guess I'm one of the programmed masses that hear "stem cells" and immediately think "aborted fetus." sweatdrop

Well, it turns out that they're from adult stem cells according to this site. So if any anti-abortion people gets up in arms about this, it'll show they didn't do their research regarding where the stem cells come from.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
fluffythingie
xdivision_whitey

Good to know.... >>;;
Yep Aussie Scientist gave cancer (injected cancer cell) to the mice then chopped off the boob and using stem cells regrew the boob.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Actually, it wouldn't matter as abortion tissue isn't used to harvest stem cells.

In fact, around the US certain hospitals will ask women if they wish to donate their placenta and the stem cells contained therein.

Gaian

kiironobara
Actually, it wouldn't matter as abortion tissue isn't used to harvest stem cells.

In fact, around the US certain hospitals will ask women if they wish to donate their placenta and the stem cells contained therein.
Don't stem cells also come from brain or muscle tissue too, or do I need to do some more looking up? Regardless though, this is some good research those scientists are doing.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Lulamoon Sage
kiironobara

Don't stem cells also come from brain or muscle tissue too, or do I need to do some more looking up? Regardless though, this is some good research those scientists are doing.

You'd need to look that up. I'm afraid I'm not an expert. smile

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces