Welcome to Gaia! ::

Divine Muse

Damien_Hargreaves
Jayce Reinhardt
GSK Lives
Jayce Reinhardt
GSK Lives
Jayce Reinhardt
Lets just claim men are second class citizens and get it over with.

Well, there are people who claim women are, so they'd be in good company.

Put those people all on an island (Men and Women) and see what happens.

Worthwhile cause, where can I donate?

Plug it to a TV network as a "Reality TV show" idea.

Ever seen discovery ch, "naked and afraid"?

Exactly
Pessimist
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros
Ah, the sexism and misandry...

You know they're just gonna argue either that this wasn't sexism, and misandry doesn't exist, or that this article is somehow sexist towards women, because a pile of male corpses is a joke, while an injured woman is a tragedy.

Yeah, no. While the story claims the study is joking in nature, it's still sexist as hell. It's just as vile as if someone came up with a farcical study with the conclusion that women are innately bad at math or some s**t.

Women are innately bad at math.

Seriously, they are jokes. Get off of your high horse and learn to appreciate comedy
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

You know they're just gonna argue either that this wasn't sexism, and misandry doesn't exist, or that this article is somehow sexist towards women, because a pile of male corpses is a joke, while an injured woman is a tragedy.
....? Except this "study" could not be more blatantly sexist if it tried. There are TONS of really absurd "studies" trying to claim that female or male brains work a certain way.

If you really care you should read this: Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences

There's a newer version published, but this one has a super-cheap kindle version available.
logan the god of candy

Seriously, they are jokes. Get off of your high horse and learn to appreciate comedy

Just because something is comedy does not mean one is entitled to laugh. Comedy can fail.

Feral Nymph

logan the god of candy
Pessimist
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

Yeah, no. While the story claims the study is joking in nature, it's still sexist as hell. It's just as vile as if someone came up with a farcical study with the conclusion that women are innately bad at math or some s**t.

Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

Well, Keltoi, Kaltros, you heard the man. Apparently it's not just evil femnazis like myself who want to perpetuate the idea that men are stupid. Logan here clearly thinks you all can't take a joke.
logan the god of candy
Pessimist
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

Comedy is racist.
Kaltros
logan the god of candy
Pessimist
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

Comedy is racist.

Only when the racism is actually funny.

Comedy is all things when it is funny. But many things are hard to make funny.

Charged Enthusiast

28,825 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Timely Contributor 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
I don't know about giving it out rewards for idiots killing themselves in stupid manners. But its just a fact men are more likely than women to do crazier things for the thrill or to prove their masculinity. Peer pressure.....fellas....Just say NO.

12,925 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Generous 100
garyoak99
Imogene_Agape_Weasley
The strong and smart will survive long enough to copulate.

Copulate? I checked the definition of the word and it says sexual intercourse. Lesbian couples are finding ways of getting themselves pregnant without spending thousands at fertility clinics:

How to Get Pregnant With a Racquetball

It's also the exchange of DNA during sexual intercourse.

gaia_angelleft yum_shrimp gaia_angelright
OP is accurate

Those are just a handful of stupids. It doesn't mean all men are idiots or something.

Feline Elder

JamesWN
Quote:
A terrorist who posted a letter bomb with insufficient postage and, upon its return, unthinkingly opened his own letter.

Achmed...?

"I KEEL YOU!"

On a thread related note, I think the Darwin Awards are hilarious and I regret selling my Gaia item that celebrates said awards emo

And to those who are fighting over whether or not the title of this thread is "sexist", in proper English grammar, the term "man" when used in such a way can mean "human" ("hu- -man" wink , representing all Homo sapiens, aka "people". "People are idiots"... which generally is true, IMHO. (I think even the most intelligent people make at least one idiotic or stupid mistake in their lives at one point or another. Even Darwin, late in his life, admitted that his entire Theory of Evolution was an error, a mistake. History books just decide to omit that little truth from their pages these days. I'm not saying it was exactly idiotic, but it was a mistake. Do your homework before you decide to flame me on this one, kids.)

Anyway, I believe that "Hu-man" people of all genders are targeted by the Darwin Awards, not just men. Woman can be idiots and do stooopid things, too... like marrying men (LOL... I'm an old married woman, so I can make that joke cat_razz cat_rofl ROFL). Transgendered and non-gender identifying people, if ever mentioned in the Darwin Awards, are most likely lumped into either one of the two traditional genders. So, it's not misandry. It is, however, humor.

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Mei tsuki7
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

You're partially right. Misandry does exist but this isn't sexist because sexism against men does not exist. Sexism is a societal institution in which one sex, in our case cis men, are seen as above all others. Those other sexes are oppressed in certain ways ingrained in a society so much as to believe that such oppression is normal.

Is that so? Funny, because every time I look up sexism it never excludes discrimination against men from its definition. Not only that, but whenever I talk to feminists or read their scholarly works, they all seem to agree sexism is a problem for both men and women. I can also make a list of ways men are discriminated against. So what's your issue?

Magnetic Millionaire

12,525 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Millionaire 200
Imogene_Agape_Weasley

It's also the exchange of DNA during sexual intercourse.

I've never seen a definition of copulate that includes that definition. Do lesbians even have sexual intercourse?
Amor Vincit
Mei tsuki7
Amor Vincit
Mei tsuki7
Keltoi Samurai

You're partially right. Misandry does exist but this isn't sexist because sexism against men does not exist. Sexism is a societal institution in which one sex, in our case cis men, are seen as above all others. Those other sexes are oppressed in certain ways ingrained in a society so much as to believe that such oppression is normal.

How can you say that misandry does exist but sexism against men doesn't? Yes, men enjoy more advantages than women, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to be sexist towards them.

That's like saying that racism never happens to white people. So if I were to deny service to a white person just because they're white, it's not racism because minorities are generally more oppressed?

I feel like you didn't even read what I wrote. Misandry is a PERSONAL thing while sexism is an INSTITUTIONAL thing. THAT is why you can't have sexism against men but you can be misandrist.

As for racism, it's the same thing. You can have personal prejudice, as in denying a service to someone because they're white (which is illegal btw), but you can't have instutionalized racism against white people, such as whites getting worse sentences for the same crime or being killed at an increased rate for petty crimes or even no crime.

I feel like you don't get sexism. It's a personal and institutional thing that affects men too, even if it's to a lesser degree. You don't think that a man being passed over for a job at a daycare because men are stigmatized as being sexual predators is a form of institutionalized sexism?

"Sexism: discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex or gender, as in restricted job opportunities, especially such discrimination directed against women."

Nowhere in that definition does it say sexism only affects women, just that it especially affects women.

SparkyKid3000
Mei tsuki7
Keltoi Samurai
Kaltros

Is that so? Funny, because every time I look up sexism it never excludes discrimination against men from its definition. Not only that, but whenever I talk to feminists or read their scholarly works, they all seem to agree sexism is a problem for both men and women. I can also make a list of ways men are discriminated against. So what's your issue?

I decided to put you both together since you are arguing the same point.

Now about definitions, how about both of you actually THINK about who writes those definitions and how society influences them directly. Definitions change and those changes sometimes take a while to be updated in dictionaries. Do you guys think that men can't be raped just because there are definitions that say that rape is forciful carnal knowledge of a woman? Definitions can be wrong.

And it's not sexism [i[against men that causes problems for men it's sexism against women and the patriarchy that does. Sexism against men only exists if the gender roles they are forced into cause oppression like they do for women. Thing is, they DON'T. Masculine gender roles, while confining and a problem for men, give men POWER while feminine gender roles take away power. THAT is the difference. While both are confining and problematic one set rises people up while the other tears them down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff