Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

For one evening last week, Mickey D’s was able to lure New York City’s foodie crowd with pumpkin-spiced “biznuts.” Now it’s trying to win over hipsters across the pond with free hamburgers.

The Golden Arches has launched a campaign in Sweden that lets people—young festival revelers in particular—swap empty cans for food. Bring in 10 cans and get a hamburger or a cheeseburger; haul in 40 and get rewarded with a Big Mac. To promote the program around parks and festival sites in Stockholm, McDonald’s installed billboards that double as trash bags that passersby can pull out and fill up with the recyclable litter.

“These young people don’t get CEO paychecks,” says the website of DDB Stockholm, the firm that’s marketing the campaign. “Without counting their money, they only have enough for beer and maybe a little food…. Good for the stomach and for the environment.”

This isn’t the restaurant chain’s first effort to cozy up to the millennial market. A January memo detailing McDonald’s 2014 to 2016 strategy revealed a plan to prioritize coffee sales over burgers and fries to entice the Starbucks cup–clutching demographic. In May, the company hired young artists to paint minimalist ads (at least according to the TV spot promoting them) all over Paris.

So far, none of it is working.

McDonald’s saw its biggest slump in a decade earlier this month. For the majority of the past year, the chain’s U.S. locations and nearly half of its global outposts that have been open for at least 13 months have had flat or declining sales. The Wall Street Journal reported that it’s partly because Mickey D’s has been losing millennial customers, who lately have been taking their business to fast-casual spots such as Chipotle Mexican Grill.

“Millennials place a high value on social responsibility, sustainability, local, organic, grass-fed, and hormone-free offerings when it comes to dining out,” advised one restaurant consulting company, according to Advertising Age.

The McSwedish experiment might result in fewer beer cans and hungry hipsters on Stockholm’s festival grounds. But to sway socially conscious consumers, the chain needs to crank up its efforts. Here’s a good start: paying its employees a livable wage. Source

Really McDonald's? Would it have hurt to use this idea world wide?

And no I don't drink beer but my uncle does so it would have been a win-win for me. Free cans for free food. whee

Undead Enchantress

40 cans to a Big Mac?

I better get started. lol

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
I dunno if it is based on the return rate on the cans. It's 10 cents or 5 cents here in America per soda can.
They need to do this with plastic bottles as well,in China (I think) they pay the train fair with plastic bottles.
If they did it here in the states it'll encourage people to recycle more. 3nodding

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Would the reverse be possible? I could turn in lousy McDonald's burgers in exchange for aluminum cans. Where I live they are about $2 per pound.

Liberal Fatcat

Could they do something similar with their chicken options? I cant eat McDonald's burgers and I have alot of cans piling up.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nyadriel
I dunno if it is based on the return rate on the cans. It's 10 cents or 5 cents here in America per soda can.

No actually it is not. That is only true in a few states that have passed laws artificially making a can have that much value. Typically you pay for that in the purchase price.

So for example, Oregon south of me charges 5 cents per bottle or can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_Bottle_Bill
Any beverage of the following kinds under 3 liters sold in Oregon is required to carry a deposit, which as of 2013 is 5 cents per container.

Water and flavored water
Beer or other malt beverages
Mineral waters, soda water and similar carbonated soft drinks.[7]

Deposit is initially collected by the manufacturer and charged at each transaction.[8] Unclaimed deposit is kept by the distributors.

In my state of WA there is no such law. In most places if you have garbage pickup you also have recycle boxes but you don't get paid for it. (sorta but not really) There are also a number of places you can take glass / cans / newspaper etc for recycling but most don't pay you and a few places where you can get paid by the pound for the aluminum.

According to sources like ALCOA it takes about 34 aluminum cans to make a pound.
Current prices vary a lot depending on location but I'm seeing anywhere from about 28-58 cents per pound for aluminum cans.
So basically around here a pop can is worth about 1 to 1 1/2 cents, maybe 2 cents if you have a good drop location and have a LOT of them (some places pay more for over 'X' number of pounds)

I recycle everything I can so I'd be okay with Oregon's laws. I get tired of seeing folks toss cans and bottles along the road and such. Oregon's laws didn't eliminate that but it reduced it. One article I read said prior to the laws about 90% of their roadside trash was drink containers and now it is about 6%. Probably because at a nickel a piece there are more folks willing to go pick them up (or not toss them in the first place). There have been some efforts in Oregon to raise it to 10 cents per container.

I don't know the can laws over there but I suspect this has more to do with marketing / image gimmick at a loss (or viewed as part of the cost of the advertising) than it does with McDonalds recouping the lost money from selling the cans it collects.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
“Without counting their money, they only have enough for beer and maybe a little food…. Good for the stomach and for the environment.”

This part made me laugh.
Beer and a McDonald's shitwich - good for the stomach! Yum! lol!

This isn’t the restaurant chain’s first effort to cozy up to the millennial market. A January memo detailing McDonald’s 2014 to 2016 strategy revealed a plan to prioritize coffee sales over burgers and fries to entice the Starbucks cup–clutching demographic. In May, the company hired young artists to paint minimalist ads (at least according to the TV spot promoting them) all over Paris.

It's not working because McDonald's coffee is basically s**t and the selection is extremely limited compared to a Starbucks or Woods coffee or similar place. McDonalds drip coffee is "okay" in the sense that what you get at some other quickie place like a gas station mini-mart or maybe a Denny's is okay. But their higher priced latte stuff is soulless gunk out of a machine. My three or four experiences with it ranged from so horrible I literally poured it out rather than drink it to "mediocre" and similar to what I can get from the food stand at Costco for a fraction of the price. (actually I prefer the Costco version and that is made by a machine too)
So - not winning over the Starbucks crowd? -- DUH!

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
David2074
“Without counting their money, they only have enough for beer and maybe a little food…. Good for the stomach and for the environment.”

This part made me laugh.

It's not working because McDonald's coffee is basically s**t and the selection is extremely limited compared to a Starbucks or Woods coffee or similar place. McDonalds drip coffee is "okay" in the sense that what you get at some other quickie place like a gas station mini-mart or maybe a Denny's is okay. But their higher priced latte stuff is soulless gunk out of a machine. My three or four experiences with it ranged from so horrible I literally poured it out rather than drink it to "mediocre" and similar to what I can get from the food stand at Costco for a fraction of the price. (actually I prefer the Costco version and that is made by a machine too)

The coffee from pot and machine at Cumberland Farms convenience store across the street here is better than McDs and can, depending on who takes care of it, stand up to Starbucks quite well too.
McDs just isn't doing anything quality. Except maybe the smoothies.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nyadriel
David2074

This part made me laugh.

The coffee from pot and machine at Cumberland Farms convenience store across the street here is better than McDs and can, depending on who takes care of it, stand up to Starbucks quite well too.

In another thread (maybe it was on Tentacl) I ended up looking up what McRib sandwiches are made of. Pig innards. Yum! And it gets worse

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
David2074
Nyadriel
David2074

This part made me laugh.

In another thread (maybe it was on Tentacl) I ended up looking up what McRib sandwiches are made of. Pig innards. Yum! And it gets worse

Pig innards, huh. That disturbs you that you are eating what so many people in other countries eat? Or is it that you are eating something other than rib meat?
As for the corn syrup, that is in every packaged food on our shelves. I question how it cause pancreatic cancer given that it's a sugar from corn - or is it the process of the stuff that causes cancer.
Other ingredients, half are known in use of packaged foods. Some of that other stuff I have questioned as 'safe' for a long time.

In all, good thing I don't eat that "rib meat" stuff very often (never from McDs) if ever. Just like Salisbury steak.

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
I work in a liquor store and tell you that McD's would probably lose money in my town. Beer sells like crazy in my store, especially 24 packs.

Now that I think about it...this is a REALLY bad deal either way, at least for non alcoholics. The price of a 24 pack is about $20 before tax. So yeah, spend $40 on beer and get a $6 burger. xp My uncle could get it no problem. xd Its gotta suck for the employees, though. Especially if they have to count the cans...and if the schmucks don't clean out the cans first? And how would this affect open container laws?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Nyadriel
David2074
Nyadriel
David2074

This part made me laugh.

Pig innards, huh. That disturbs you that you are eating what so many people in other countries eat? Or is it that you are eating something other than rib meat?
As for the corn syrup, that is in every packaged food on our shelves. I question how it cause pancreatic cancer given that it's a sugar from corn - or is it the process of the stuff that causes cancer.
Other ingredients, half are known in use of packaged foods. Some of that other stuff I have questioned as 'safe' for a long time.

In all, good thing I don't eat that "rib meat" stuff very often (never from McDs) if ever. Just like Salisbury steak.

It isn't about whether other countries eat pig stomach or lamb's eyeballs or whatever. It's about knowing what I am eating and having one food passed off as another food due to vague / misleading advertising. I have eaten "interesting" dishes in other countries such as kari kari which is cow intestines. I have eaten meats from street vendors where I was not sure what kind of meet I was eating (though most often it was pork). Exploring culinary differences was one of the things I enjoyed about world travel.

But to name your sandwich as 'rib' and shape it like rib and then have it barely even be pork is rather misleading - No?

As to the other ingredients - I wasn't trying to preach about that one way or the other. Fast food in general = "shitload of calories plus some chemicals" so most of the time I avoid it. At least the mystery meat on a stick from those roadside BBQ guys was real meat and you could check out / smell the raw meat before they grilled it for you. The only thing added was a bit of light terriaki type sauce and not even that if you didn't want it.
Erynne
40 cans to a Big Mac?

I better get started. lol

Awwwww yeaaaah partay @ Erynne's. I'll bring some 24 packs, then to sober up we can take all the cans to mcdonalds rofl cool

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff