Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Member

Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing
I live about 20 minutes from where this happened. It was barely even touched in news, instead, our local news crews would rather start racial wars. Notice how they made a point of saying he was black and the attacker was white. What does color have to do with any of this? We need to really get back to the point at hand, the man had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It doesn't matter what his intentions were, he has a permit to carry. Would it be ok for me to attack anyone just because they looked like they were going to cause trouble? No it wouldn't. What ever happened to Love your neighbor as you love yourself? What happened to the times of blessing others instead of being so greedy that we knock people over in that very store for black friday sales? this world really needs to take a few steps back!

Oddly, this was the first article on this issue that I saw where race was even brought up. Seems this organization has an axe to grind and should be avoided.

If we step back and look at the nation as a whole, it's always when a black person gets attacked, shot, or what have you by a white man that the media steps in. my point is that we all need to really think before we act. I never see a white man being attacked or killed by a black person and that story making mainstream media.

That is because by media standards it would not provoke emotion.
That's what they aim for.

Distinct Member

The Peppermint Bunny
Star VanHelsing
I live about 20 minutes from where this happened. It was barely even touched in news, instead, our local news crews would rather start racial wars. Notice how they made a point of saying he was black and the attacker was white. What does color have to do with any of this? We need to really get back to the point at hand, the man had a permit to carry a concealed weapon. It doesn't matter what his intentions were, he has a permit to carry. Would it be ok for me to attack anyone just because they looked like they were going to cause trouble? No it wouldn't. What ever happened to Love your neighbor as you love yourself? What happened to the times of blessing others instead of being so greedy that we knock people over in that very store for black friday sales? this world really needs to take a few steps back!

People would probably talk about crimes against white people done by POC if those crimes were brought up other times besides when people want POC and those who are against crimes against POC (of all ethnicities) to shut up. The only time I ever hear about stories of crimes against white people that should be considered hate crime is when someone is saying something along the lines of, "Who cares about police brutality against blacks?! I heard a story about a white kid getting beaten to death by a Mexican? No one is talking about that?"
Oddly, it's only when a story like Fergusen happens when these people bring it up. My conclusion? These people don't truly care about the white kid getting beaten to death by a Mexican kid. These people don't care about the woman whose baby got shot when being robbed by a black man, because the only time these things are brought up is whenever they want to shut people up about other problems, and they say nothing more about the situation.

I, for one, would love to talk about crimes against white people. I know, for a fact, that racism against white people is a thing (though institutional racism against white people is not). I have family in Louisiana who does not associate with my father anymore because he married a white woman and adopted two kids who are half white, but acknowledging this kind of racism doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that I have to stop talking against racism against POC either.

Where I live, racism seemed to have redefined itself.
I remember a story back in my high school days that still leaves me speechless, but it would drive this off topic.

The media aims for certain criteria for emotion provoking stories.
Some aim for gender
Some aim for race, and some deal with tender ages.

Bonus if they intertwine.
News is no longer about "news" it's about provoking the emotion of the people.
Unconditional Heart
Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing

Oddly, this was the first article on this issue that I saw where race was even brought up. Seems this organization has an axe to grind and should be avoided.

If we step back and look at the nation as a whole, it's always when a black person gets attacked, shot, or what have you by a white man that the media steps in. my point is that we all need to really think before we act. I never see a white man being attacked or killed by a black person and that story making mainstream media.

...or because no one seems to want to bring those subjects up unless wanting to shut up the people who are talking about crimes against POC. Just sayin'.

Distinct Member

The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing

...or because no one seems to want to bring those subjects up unless wanting to shut up the people who are talking about crimes against POC. Just sayin'.

Sorry mind telling me what poc is?

The point is that it's creating problems by not addressing the crimes as a whole. They are too focused on the powder kegs of its time. Which race is a biggie since ferguson.
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Star VanHelsing

People would probably talk about crimes against white people done by POC if those crimes were brought up other times besides when people want POC and those who are against crimes against POC (of all ethnicities) to shut up. The only time I ever hear about stories of crimes against white people that should be considered hate crime is when someone is saying something along the lines of, "Who cares about police brutality against blacks?! I heard a story about a white kid getting beaten to death by a Mexican? No one is talking about that?"
Oddly, it's only when a story like Fergusen happens when these people bring it up. My conclusion? These people don't truly care about the white kid getting beaten to death by a Mexican kid. These people don't care about the woman whose baby got shot when being robbed by a black man, because the only time these things are brought up is whenever they want to shut people up about other problems, and they say nothing more about the situation.

I, for one, would love to talk about crimes against white people. I know, for a fact, that racism against white people is a thing (though institutional racism against white people is not). I have family in Louisiana who does not associate with my father anymore because he married a white woman and adopted two kids who are half white, but acknowledging this kind of racism doesn't (and shouldn't) mean that I have to stop talking against racism against POC either.

I remember a story back in my high school days that still leaves me speechless, but it would drive this off topic.

Some aim for gender

I understand that, but with that in mind, if it is true (and there is truth to what you are saying) that media outlets wish to promote certain stories in a certain way to get people's emotions all haywire, why do you suppose they don't think promoting a story of a white person being attacked by a POC as a hate crime? Most likely because such stories only ever seem to be brought up by people to shut up those who have a problem with hate crimes against POC. Think about it. Have you ever entered a discussion about this that was not meant to be a response to the conversations about racism against POC? How many times have you seen or heard it as its own conversation rather than it being brought up to derail the conversation?
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing

The point is that it's creating problems by not addressing the crimes as a whole. They are too focused on the powder kegs of its time. Which race is a biggie since ferguson.

"Person of Color"
It's a simplier way to address non-white ethnicities.

Oh, okay. I understand your point. I do agree that there is a lot of time being spent on discussing the ethnicities of the individuals and not a lot of time addressing the other issues of the situation, but I still think it is important to discuss nonetheless.

Distinct Member

The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Star VanHelsing

Some aim for gender

I understand that, but with that in mind, if it is true (and there is truth to what you are saying) that media outlets wish to promote certain stories in a certain way to get people's emotions all haywire, why do you suppose they don't think promoting a story of a white person being attacked by a POC as a hate crime? Most likely because such stories only ever seem to be brought up by people to shut up those who have a problem with hate crimes against POC. Think about it. Have you ever entered a discussion about this that was not meant to be a response to the conversations about racism against POC? How many times have you seen or heard it as its own conversation rather than it being brought up to derail the conversation?

Short n sweet, a kid in my class accused my teacher of being racist for not turning in his homework. Because "he was black." In his words.
Teachers response. "I never implied your skin, I asked why your homework is not done. You sir are racist for implying that you are black."

Point being is anyone can call racism based on irrelevant topics unless it's directly pointed out.
If the article was written that a man tackled another man because he saw a gun being put away, with no mention of race, would it be any different?

Distinct Member

The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
Star VanHelsing

"Person of Color"

Oh, okay. I understand your point. I do agree that there is a lot of time being spent on discussing the ethnicities of the individuals and not a lot of time addressing the other issues of the situation, but I still think it is important to discuss nonetheless.

Thank you. I do not mind discussing it, but if it becomes the center of discussion rather than the actions, then it seems like the discussion would get nowhere,
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Star VanHelsing

Some aim for gender

Short n sweet, a kid in my class accused my teacher of being racist for not turning in his homework. Because "he was black." In his words.
Teachers response. "I never implied your skin, I asked why your homework is not done. You sir are racist for implying that you are black."

Point being is anyone can call racism based on irrelevant topics unless it's directly pointed out.
If the article was written that a man tackled another man because he saw a gun being put away, with no mention of race, would it be any different?

I understand that people will throw the words "racism" and "racist" around irresponsibly, and that does more harm than good for the problem. That, however, does not mean there are not situations in which people are motivated by racism to treat people unfairly, and it does not mean those cases should not be talked about.

Again, I understand there is a bigger picture. I understand that there is more to the case than just the attacker being white and the attacked being black, but it does not mean that piece of the case should not be discussed at all.
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
Star VanHelsing

"Person of Color"

Thank you. I do not mind discussing it, but if it becomes the center of discussion rather than the actions, then it seems like the discussion would get nowhere,

I understand that too. Like I said, I think it's important to discuss the other issues. smile

Distinct Member

The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Star VanHelsing

Some aim for gender

I understand that people will throw the words "racism" and "racist" around irresponsibly, and that does more harm than good for the problem. That, however, does not mean there are not situations in which people are motivated by racism to treat people unfairly, and it does not mean those cases should not be talked about.

Again, I understand there is a bigger picture. I understand that there is more to the case than just the attacker being white and the attacked being black, but it does not mean that piece of the case should not be discussed at all.

Ok, if race is relevant if a white man saw another white man put away a gun, and he is tackled, would it be different? Or if it's 2 poc in the same scenario?

It would be reported yes because of recent shootings because the gun is a powder keg itself but if it was subtracted, it would seem irrelevant.at least to those reporting the story.
I mean do we know the history of the white gentleman?
Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing

Do a fact check. Also, a tons of white people are mugged and s**t around my university by a ton of black people. The neighborhoods around the university are very run down and mostly inhabited by blacks. In fact, a woman in a park was recently raped and then set on fire by a total stranger in that area. I carry a stun gun on me when I am in that area for a reason. We need to stop pretending that only one race gets attacked and victimizing it.

Distinct Member

Chicken Zombie
Star VanHelsing
Old Blue Collar Joe
Star VanHelsing

Do a fact check. Also, a tons of white people are mugged and s**t around my university by a ton of black people. The neighborhoods around the university are very run down and mostly inhabited by blacks. In fact, a woman in a park was recently raped and then set on fire by a total stranger in that area. I carry a stun gun on me when I am in that area for a reason. We need to stop pretending that only one race gets attacked and victimizing it.

But the media won't is the problem.
The race card is getting thrown around way to loosely.

7,475 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Chicken Zombie

This is why I get so upset. There was only one time I remember it making the news and that was a few years ago when Officers Curtis and Kokab (I think that's how his name was spelled) were doing a routine traffic stop and Dante Morris shot them both. Killing them both. Then, it was in the news because he went on the run. If not for the chase and all that good jazz, these two wouldn't have been in the news either. They kept running in the news about him being on the run. They did a short story about the 2 caucasion officers but that was the extent of it. I think it's sad that one race is deemed superior to the rest because of a group of lobbyists who think it's acceptable to turn their race into a media feeding frenzy.
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart
The Peppermint Bunny
Unconditional Heart

Some aim for gender

Ok, if race is relevant if a white man saw another white man put away a gun, and he is tackled, would it be different? Or if it's 2 poc in the same scenario?

It would be reported yes because of recent shootings because the gun is a powder keg itself but if it was subtracted, it would seem irrelevant.at least to those reporting the story.
I mean do we know the history of the white gentleman?

It would be different, because there is less of a possibility that racism is a motivator of those two scenarios, so we would obviously not bring it up in the discussion. If racism was not still a problem, it would not be brought up in this discussion either.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff