Welcome to Gaia! ::

About this...

Bad idea... Kids that young shouldn't be touching them 0.39024390243902 39.0% [ 16 ]
Bad idea patriotic education taken to far 0.14634146341463 14.6% [ 6 ]
They could of displayed the gun but let them wear the helmets 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Nice idea so long as they weren't teaching them how to use it. 0.073170731707317 7.3% [ 3 ]
So long as the parents were okay with it 0.14634146341463 14.6% [ 6 ]
Other 0.24390243902439 24.4% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 41 ]
1 2 >

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Pictures of young Russian children posing with mock AK-47 rifles and other weapons at a kindergarten have provoked a storm of controversy, but some defended them as patriotic education.

Pictures making the rounds online show boys and girls around five or six years-old posing for cameras with mock-ups of AK-47 assault rifles, a sniper rifle and a grenade launcher in their hands.

Some children wear helmets or military berets, a man in fatigues standing next to them.

The controversial photos were taken last week during a "patriotic class" at a kindergarten in the second city of Saint Petersburg, said a member of a club who helped organise the event and provided the replica weapons.

"Why can't children hold a weapon?" Yury Dorozhinsky, deputy head of Red Star, an organisation that teaches military history and acts as a club for World War II reenactment enthusiasts, told AFP on Thursday.

"Let boys play dolls then."

He said the event was held ahead of the Defenders of the Fatherland, a Soviet-era holiday Russia marks on February 23, at the request of the kindergarten administration.

"It's silly to teach children patriotism using layman's terms. Telling without showing would not be right."

He defended the class and photo-shoot, saying children must grow up as patriots. But he said they were not taught how to use weapons.

"The sniper rifle was without a scope," he added.

The children's parents, one of whom is a member of the Red Star club, approved of the event, Dorozhinksy said.

But the pictures triggered a storm of controversy on Russian social networks.

"This is simply horrible and outrageous," commented Larisa Garmash.

The director of the Saint Petersburg kindergarten which apparently held the event, Margarita Ivanova, declined to comment when reached by AFP.

The director of another kindergarten in the city said the fact that children had been forced to pose with weapons was "unacceptable."

"This is not a patriotic upbringing," Irina Gosteva told AFP. "This has no place in a kindergarten."

Some observers warn of the creeping militarisation of Russian society amid raging tensions with the West over Ukraine where pro-Moscow separatists have been battling government forces since April.

Geeezzz

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
As long as the guns were not loaded😧 I hate violence and cruelty but guns are used for other things also😔 and this would never go down in America lol
crystalpraise
and this would never go down in America lol

Kids are pictured with guns all the time in the US. The US has more private gun ownership than Russia too....so not much place for the US to try and look down their nose at anyone over gun anything pretty much. xp

OG GO

Meh, fake, real. Kids have always been able to play with some version of a gun, at least this also teaches them awareness and possible safety.

Lavish Hourglass

11,525 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Rhianna
crystalpraise

Kids are pictured with guns all the time in the US. The US has more private gun ownership than Russia too....so not much place for the US to try and look down their nose at anyone over gun anything pretty much. xp

Not at a public school with American soldiers and stuff!

Clean Hunter

what works for Russia is different than what works for America. I think, that this education is fine, so long as these guns do not contain bullets. Military education is mandatory in Russia, anyway.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Look at that. He NAILED IT.
In one short sentence he managed to convey so much stereotype Russia.
homophobia
aggressive tendencies
stereotyped gender roles
dismissive attitude towards differing opinions.

Dude, the scope is likely the one part of the weapon folks would not have a problem with. Without the gun part the scope is basically just sort of a cool telescope to look through.

At least some Russians are upset about it.

"It's silly to teach children patriotism using layman's terms. Telling without showing would not be right."

Um, sure. The real s**t storm will hit when they have the sex ed class. rofl

PS - Bonus points for apparently not knowing that "layman's terms" is a way of explaining things in a simplified way so that non-experts in the field can understand it.
Visual aids have their place but if you think having kindergartners hold fake guns for a photo shoot somehow teaches them more about military history then.. .well... sad face for you I guess.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Look at that. He NAILED IT.
In one short sentence he managed to convey so much stereotype Russia.
homophobia
aggressive tendencies
stereotyped gender roles
dismissive attitude towards differing opinions.

Dude, the scope is likely the one part of the weapon folks would not have a problem with. Without the gun part the scope is basically just sort of a cool telescope to look through.

At least some Russians are upset about it.

Um, sure. The real s**t storm will hit when they have the sex ed class. rofl

PS - Bonus points for apparently not knowing that "layman's terms" is a way of explaining things in a simplified way so that non-experts in the field can understand it.
Visual aids have their place but if you think having kindergartners hold fake guns for a photo shoot somehow teaches them more about military history then.. .well... sad face for you I guess.

Hilarious Puppy

In Soviet Russia, Patriotism takes away freedom. cat_lol

Powerhungry Genius

44,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
well, i get teaching kids about weapons (my dad taught me fencing as a kid, starting about kindergarten), but AK-47s go too far. Adults shouldn't always have weapons that powerful, nevertheless children.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Rhianna
crystalpraise

Disagree.
It is not uncommon for a youth to be pictured with a gun if the family is into hunting or something.
But that is a private situation where the parents or guardians are deciding it is okay.
What we don't have in America is schools having little kids as a class posing with guns (real or not) and telling that is how to be "patriotic".

So yeah, I can look my nose down at that all I want.

Versatile Businessman

9,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Flatterer 200
crystalpraise
As long as the guns were not loaded😧 I hate violence and cruelty but guns are used for other things also😔 and this would never go down in America lol
uhmmmmmm the south ?
David2074
Rhianna
crystalpraise

Disagree.
It is not uncommon for a youth to be pictured with a gun if the family is into hunting or something.
But that is a private situation where the parents or guardians are deciding it is okay.
What we don't have in America is schools having little kids as a class posing with guns (real or not) and telling that is how to be "patriotic".

So yeah, I can look my nose down at that all I want.

Go ahead, I'll just continue to think it's completely hypocritical given how many American elementary school students bring guns to school. The fact that there's teachers involved in one and not the other makes little difference to me. Keep your own house clean before you point fingers. Again, to me America has no place to judge the Russians. How many school shootings has Russia had again? Ah yes, like three. Try to pretend that Russia is this backwards, barbaric state because of it's guns all you want, they don't seem to have the guns in schools issues that the US constantly does.
Kalashnikov causes outrage in Russia? Next up, apple pie causes outrage in America.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff