Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Quote:
Remember when Colleges and Universities prepared young men and women to work in professional fields like Accounting, Chemistry, and Geology?

Yeah, those days are long gone.

The week before Spring Break, at the typically conservative Texas A&M University, one campus organization offered a special ‘how-to’ sex-ed seminar.

There is no way to put this gently, the class was a graphic lesson was called ‘B*tt Play,’ masquerading as a sex-ed program. The featured featured lectures supported by videos and props to teach students how to handle their first a**l sex encounter.

A H/T to our friends at KTRH News Radio in Houston, Texas. As reported on the KTRH website;

How much is too much when it comes to sex education on college campuses? A controversial video now has conservative groups taking aim at Texas A&M officials.

The extremely graphic video posted online by the group Texas Aggie Conservatives shows a sex therapist using pictures and videos to teach gays and lesbians how to safely engage in certain activities.

Student Justin Pulliam says how-to sex lessons for gays have no place on his college campus.

“Most people at the university do not agree with having casual sex, or homosexual sex, or having sex outside of marriage,” he says. “That the university is institutionally supporting such behavior is disgusting.”

Pulliam says his group wants to expose the school for sanctioning event.

“What makes it even more disgusting, is that student fee dollars and taxpayer dollars are funding activities such as this at Texas A&M University,” he claims.

However, Lowell Kane from the school’s GLBT Professional Network argues little if any student fees were used for the seminar.

“Student fees were not used to pay the therapist to facilitate this workshop,” Kane says. “The university and I did go to a business meal with her afterwards to discuss the program, so the total cost associated with this workshop was $20 and change.”

Kane insists the seminar was for safe sex educational purposes only.

“We actually know for a fact from the Bryan-College Station Community Health Center that we’re seeing an increase in new infections of syphilis and HIV, particularly with the college student campus of Texas A&M,” he says. “So these are very serious issues.”

The video even has ruffled the feathers of Pat Carlson with the Texas Eagle Forum.

“I don’t know how on Earth they can call that a safe sex seminar, that was the most disgusting thing,” says Carlson. “I’ve been married 41 years, and never have I watched something so repulsive.”

Calls seeking comment from Texas A & M school officials were not returned. Link

Do you think it was appropriate to hold this event at Texas A&M? Do you think more of these types of seminars should be hosted at other colleges? Would you attend one if it were held at a local college or tell a friend about it?

Dapper Hunter

6,825 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
Student Justin Pulliam says how-to sex lessons for gays have no place on his college campus.

“Most people at the university do not agree with having casual sex, or homosexual sex, or having sex outside of marriage,” he says. “That the university is institutionally supporting such behavior is disgusting.”

-sigh- I thought this issue was something old folks had a problem with, not the young. How sad. I curse the day sex became something to be feared and shunned or whatever you call such crap.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
...Yeah. That is so not actual sex-ed. Stick to the basics and leave the weird s**t to adult seminars off campus.

Melodious Sweetheart

25,625 Points
  • Cheerleader 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Object of Affection 150
Wow, this hits really close to home!

I attend Texas A&M University (Whoop!) and volunteer in a program affiliated with the GLBT Oncampus Organization. So, our campus is known as extremely conservative and it is true that many students who attend are conservative themselves, however the actual classes, professors, and a great number of organizations are very much on the liberal side. This might even be because we are known as so conservative.

We hold workshops and seminars on all topics that students may find valuable (such as financing, relationships, job-searching, etc.) so it is not surprising that there would be a seminar on a**l sex, not surprising to me at all. ^_^ I actually wouldn't have minded attending, because I personally have no idea how that works.. And as Lowell Kane says, the actual university fees did not finance this, so that shouldn't be a concern.

If there are students who are interested in learning about a**l sex, then what is the problem?
Very very interesting that this would cause controversy... confused

See some random seminars that are free to Aggie students...
~link~
My university had a whole week dedicated to stuff like this. Some people got super upset about it too. I don't see the issue, really. I don't go to Texas A&M, but I know that my university is sort of an open forum. We've had really liberal people come to campus to talk about things like how to have safer (and pleasurable) sex, and we've also had really conservative people come to campus, like those anti-abortion people who put up holocaust and lynching pictures next to abortion images.

If students/faculty don't like the idea of there being a seminar about safer sex practices, and how to have pleasurable sex, then they can hold their own seminar extolling the virtues of their own position. I don't see what's stopping them from having a seminar talking about like... how you can have an emotionally intimate relationship while abstaining from sex.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
SparkyKid3000
Quote:

-sigh- I thought this issue was something old folks had a problem with, not the young. How sad. I curse the day sex became something to be feared and shunned or whatever you call such crap.
It almost seems taboo to even talk about it. I agree with Dark Portrait though, if they don't like it, they should have their own seminar.

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
they have condoms in jars at my college

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
crownvetch
Think of the children!!11 rofl I'm surprised no one is worked up about that...

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
At first I was like, "Well, Texas is at it again!!"

Then I was like, "yeah, that's a bit weird..."

Then almost immediately I was back to, "Grow the ******** up, Texas. We could force safe, homosexual sex into the middle and high school curriculum if you'd prefer that."

Not that I'd need that lesson. Butt sex just seems gross to me, even if a girl wanted to I'd have to politely decline.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
Alexander J Luthor

Then almost immediately I was back to, "Grow the ******** up, Texas. We could force safe, homosexual sex into the middle and high school curriculum if you'd prefer that."

Not that I'd need that lesson. Butt sex just seems gross to me, even if a girl wanted to I'd have to politely decline.
xd . Yea, I bet they'd really flip if it were introduced at the high school level.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Darth Acheron
Alexander J Luthor

xd . Yea, I bet they'd really flip if it were introduced at the high school level.

I can imagine those clips of people lying in the street while praying for The Rapture or something.

Feral Nymph

I like how the article is so nakedly biased against this.

Quote:
Remember when Colleges and Universities prepared young men and women to work in professional fields like Accounting, Chemistry, and Geology?

Yeah, those days are long gone.

Yeah, because attending an short, optional seminar is the exact same thing as a course for your degree.

As for the actual content of the seminar? I absolutely do not care. It's not my cup of tea. If it's yours, you should be able to learn how to do it safely and not just rely on the education the internet provides.

Greedy Consumer

crownvetch
*imagines condoms on pickles in a jar* lol

Girl-Crazy Bloodsucker

Considering how gays and lesbians get almost NO proper sex-ed (go look up the cracked article "top 5 problems gay people still face today" if you don't believe me.)
I don't think this is "too much" at all, if you ask me it's pretty positive.

The prudish and homophobic college students whining about this can go fall off a cliff and be mauled by a bear for all I care.

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
I Shall Give You NoMercy
Considering how gays and lesbians get almost NO proper sex-ed (go look up the cracked article "top 5 problems gay people still face today" if you don't believe me.)
I don't think this is "too much" at all, if you ask me it's pretty positive.

The prudish and homophobic college students whining about this can go fall off a cliff and be mauled by a bear for all I care.
True. Would you attend one if it came around?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff