Welcome to Gaia! ::

What the ********, man. WHAT THE ACTUAL ********.

Quote:
Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley has won a majority government, ending the 44-year reign of the Progressive Conservatives.

Notley’s NDP will form the next government and the Wildrose Party will form the official opposition.

Jim Prentice’s PC Party, which had 70 seats at dissolution and won 12 consecutive majority governments, is expected to finish the night in third place.

Notley’s victory is a major upset, considering her party held only four seats when the election was called on April 7. The New Democrats had never before won more than 16 ridings.

Jim Prentice’s PC Party, meanwhile, had 70 seats at dissolution and could boast of 12 consecutive majority governments.

Both the Wildrose and Liberals had five seats before the campaign.

Pollsters correctly predicted the NDP win, unlike the 2012 Alberta election when most forecast a Wildrose win but the PCs formed a majority government.

Contrasting economic tax plans

Prentice took over as premier from interim leader David Hancock in September. Hancock was installed after Alison Redford stepped down over a series of spending scandals, including a $45,000 taxpayer-funded trip Nelson Mandela's South Africa funeral.

The election was announced on April 7, a year ahead of what’s legally required, because Prentice said he wanted a mandate to pass his budget.

The PC budget would have increased some taxes and allow a $5-billion deficit in order to maintain spending schools and hospitals in an era of falling fossil fuel revenue. Royalties from oil and gas have long funded much of Alberta’s budget.

The Wildrose Party released a platform that promised no tax increases, and a return to balanced budgets by 2017, which would be achieved by reducing the number of government managers and other spending cuts.

The NDP, meanwhile, committed to tax hikes on the top 10 per cent of income earners, and corporations, in order to raise more money for health care and education. The party has also said it would re-examine fossil fuel royalties.

The Liberal Party released a platform that includes a reduction of personal income taxes for the first $50,000, and increases thereafter, to fund things like school construction, reduced post-secondary tuition fees and arts subsidies.

(link)

What's next, Bernie Sanders becoming U.S. President?

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Can a Canadian please translate what this means into dumb American, cuz I have no idea what I just read. I can assume it's not good, but it'd be nice to know why.

Salty Sweetheart

xXFurygeistXx
Can a Canadian please translate what this means into dumb American, cuz I have no idea what I just read. I can assume it's not good, but it'd be nice to know why.

It's really just surprising. The Conservatives were so firmly seated as the leaders for so long that no one really thought that the NDP could bump them out -so effectively-.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
rinlee
xXFurygeistXx

It's really just surprising. The Conservatives were so firmly seated as the leaders for so long that no one really thought that the NDP could bump them out -so effectively-.

Ah. So this is a good thing?
xXFurygeistXx
rinlee
xXFurygeistXx

Clearly some people think so but I have family members in Alberta who are going nuts (not in a good way) over this lol.

The NDP is about 50x more 'left' and 'liberal' than even the most liberal Democrat. They believe in and push social programs which irks a lot of people, especially in conservative areas like Alberta.

A lot of people are afraid of the tax hikes that often do follow NDP-governments (in order to fund all those social programs and often to replace funding to things that the prior Liberal or Conservative governments have defunded).

They're not much for big business either, not like Conservatives or Liberals who let huge corporations do whatever they want, pay essentially no taxes, and exist with essentially no regulation or oversight. With all the oil business in Alberta (and Alberta doesn't have basically any other industry or export) they're afraid the new government will drive a lot of that business away.

Could be good, could be bad. Those who want social programs and more help and live below the poverty line generally find NDP good to them. Those who make a decent amount in the middle class are generally a bit more unhappy as they're not 'rich' but just stable enough to be taxed more and can't afford it.
xXFurygeistXx
It actually is a good thing, just surprising is all. Alberta is home of some of the most conservative people in Canada, so for them to swing this wildly liberal is a nice surprise.

Greedy Lunatic

10,000 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Married 100
  • Cool Cat 500
I'm curious to see how this goes. Over half of the eligible voters turned out to make their opinions heard and the verdict is that the vast majority of people were not satisfied with the Conservatives. Their entire campaign was based in fear mongering, threatening to pull big companies out of the province if the NDP won, like it would be the end of the world and everyone would pack up and move the the USA. I guess people saw through the empty threats because it's the next day and the world is still turning, people are moaning and people are excited. No government can please everyone, but at the end of the day Alberta still is the best province because we are debt free, and even with the projected tax hikes we will still have one of the lowest tax rates in the country.

To clarify for Americans, it's like we have been run by George W. Bush for 44 years and we just elected Obama. The people who were paying the price under the Conservatives will now benefit, and those who were benefiting will now pay. It is a huge role reversal.

It is a huge change for many people, the NDP are full of young and bushy tailed candidates with little experience and big ideas and it scares a lot of people, but the Conservatives put on such a poor campaign and they paid for it. They are even being sore losers as the Conservative leader retired from politics two hours after the announcement.

All we can do is wait and see. I'm excited for some funding to come back to the arts and sciences, as well as health care and other social services, because contrary to popular belief, no, the entire province does not work in oil and gas. Someone still has to ring in your groceries, serve your coffee, teach your children and change your bed pan. These are people who many Conservative view as "failures in life," but these are people doing jobs that also need doing to keep our province running and have the right to better funded services for low income houses. We are part of Canada for crying out loud, we are suppose to be the nicest people ever, and we can't consider ourselves that if we leave people behind. 4laugh

heart Canada heart Alberta

Angelic Ladykiller

9,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
rinlee
xXFurygeistXx

In other words, it's the equivalent of New York State losing 90% of it's Democratic party leaders to Republicans

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Rhianna
xXFurygeistXx
rinlee
xXFurygeistXx

Clearly some people think so but I have family members in Alberta who are going nuts (not in a good way) over this lol.

The NDP is about 50x more 'left' and 'liberal' than even the most liberal Democrat. They believe in and push social programs which irks a lot of people, especially in conservative areas like Alberta.

A lot of people are afraid of the tax hikes that often do follow NDP-governments (in order to fund all those social programs and often to replace funding to things that the prior Liberal or Conservative governments have defunded).

They're not much for big business either, not like Conservatives or Liberals who let huge corporations do whatever they want, pay essentially no taxes, and exist with essentially no regulation or oversight. With all the oil business in Alberta (and Alberta doesn't have basically any other industry or export) they're afraid the new government will drive a lot of that business away.

Could be good, could be bad. Those who want social programs and more help and live below the poverty line generally find NDP good to them. Those who make a decent amount in the middle class are generally a bit more unhappy as they're not 'rich' but just stable enough to be taxed more and can't afford it.

Ah, so they're the crazy liberals that give liberals a bad name. So...not good.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Henrika
xXFurygeistXx
It actually is a good thing, just surprising is all. Alberta is home of some of the most conservative people in Canada, so for them to swing this wildly liberal is a nice surprise.

So it's like when NC swung blue that one election? I'm so confused cuz some are saying these guys are TOO liberal (like the democrats in America that are all 'ban large soda cuz people are fat and stupid') while others are like 'yeah they're okay'. I have no point of reference for how extreme the parties are.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
A Mythic Angel
rinlee
xXFurygeistXx

In other words, it's the equivalent of New York State losing 90% of it's Democratic party leaders to Republicans

o.o In terms of surprise or in terms of how bad it is???
xXFurygeistXx

That depends on what your political views are. I don't view American Democrats as all that liberal, in comparison to some parties. For instance, American Democrats are still far far far too war-mongery for my taste and in comparison to all the liberal parties of Canada. Also far too pro-big business/Wall St.

How 'liberal' they are depends on each person's political views.

The NDP generally believes in things like:
> Increasing taxes to the wealthy
> Increasing taxes to corporations, they already plan to raise the corporate tax rate from 10 to 12% in Alberta
> Creating a taxpayer funded national daycare program.
> Increased funding for social programs like welfare, already-existing childcare subsidies.
> They're union friendly which is a huge no-no for Conservatives and many Liberals. The NDP is seen as union-cuddlers.
> They're Pro-Choice. Abortion isn't nearly the hot topic issue it is for Americans but for a small minority this is still an issue.
> Raise the minimum wage, which businesses obviously hate.
> Pro gun registries.

So if you're against any of those, you probably aren't going to be very happy about this. They're not nuts, just pro a lot of things that are often unpopular because they do involve raising taxes and making large investments.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Interesting read but doesn't affect me much as far as I can tell.
I'm in the US and due to location when I do go to Canada it is to British Columbia.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Rhianna
xXFurygeistXx

That depends on what your political views are. I don't view American Democrats as all that liberal, in comparison to some parties. For instance, American Democrats are still far far far too war-mongery for my taste and in comparison to all the liberal parties of Canada. Also far too pro-big business/Wall St.

How 'liberal' they are depends on each person's political views.

The NDP generally believes in things like:
> Increasing taxes to the wealthy
> Increasing taxes to corporations, they already plan to raise the corporate tax rate from 10 to 12% in Alberta
> Creating a taxpayer funded national daycare program.
> Increased funding for social programs like welfare, already-existing childcare subsidies.
> They're union friendly which is a huge no-no for Conservatives and many Liberals. The NDP is seen as union-cuddlers.
> They're Pro-Choice. Abortion isn't nearly the hot topic issue it is for Americans but for a small minority this is still an issue.
> Raise the minimum wage, which businesses obviously hate.
> Pro gun registries.

So if you're against any of those, you probably aren't going to be very happy about this. They're not nuts, just pro a lot of things that are often unpopular because they do involve raising taxes and making large investments.

Oh. They don't sound so bad then. They actually sound kinda good. Wish there were bigger pushes here for that kind of stuff.
xXFurygeistXx
Henrika
xXFurygeistXx

So it's like when NC swung blue that one election? I'm so confused cuz some are saying these guys are TOO liberal (like the democrats in America that are all 'ban large soda cuz people are fat and stupid') while others are like 'yeah they're okay'. I have no point of reference for how extreme the parties are.
Our three major parties are generally Progressive Conservatives, Liberals, New Democratic Party (NDP).

The liberals tend to be more fiscally responsible that the NDP, but a lot of their values are the same at heart. However, conservative governments haven't been particularly fiscally responsible lately either, failing to respond well to economic crises etc. while also being socially regressive, and the NDP can't be worse than that IMO.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff