Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Smoker

High school cheerleaders defy prayer ban at football games

Quote:
For many on the Oneida High School cheerleading squad, faith has always gone hand and hand with Friday night football.

“We need prayer for so many reasons especially in our community now and the troubles we face every day,” said junior Kayla King.

The Oneida Special School district has decided to do away with prayer before athletic events in an effort to avoid national legal action. The district, like dozens of others in the state of Tennessee, has received pressure from organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union and the Freedom From Religion Foundation to end prayer at public schools.

Oneida's director of school's Ann Sexton says they received a letter last fall from the ACLU reminding them it is unconstitutional to hold school sanctioned prayer at football games.

“We were advised to stop the practice,” Sexton said. Instead, they instated a moment of silence before games.

But that didn't sit well with many students and community members in Oneida.

“During the moment of silence all the cheerleaders came together and recited the Lord's Prayer,” King explained.

On Friday night's game against Watertown, the cheerleaders from both teams joined hands and recited the prayer, and they weren't alone.

“In that moment the atmosphere was kind of great because it was nothing but heads bowed, and you heard the Lord's Prayer ring over the football field,” said King.

Kevin Acres has been announcing football games for Oneida for more than a decade, and he said he's been getting lots of questions about the discontinued prayers. That's why on Friday night he explained the change.

“First off, I wanted to let everyone know on both sides of the field, this wasn't our decision or the school board, it was pressure from outside groups,” said Acres.

The ACLU isn't alone in their efforts to stop prayer at public schools. The Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation also sent letters to every school district in Tennessee after complaints over prayers in 2011.

“As you know, the First Amendment prohibits government policies and practices 'respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.' Both the First Amendment's Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause operate to protect the religions liberty and freedom of conscience of all Americans. It is well settled that school faculty, coaches, administrators or invited clergy may not lead students in prayer or conduct a prayer during a school event,” read the letter from ACLU.

Acres says it's frustrating but he understands the schools the position.

“The majority of people in this area want to have prayer before a ball game, and I don't think its right for a minority out away from here dictates what we do here,” said Acres.

But Acres says in a way the student led prayer can be seen as a positive.

“Where you had one person saying a prayer over the PA, now you've got hundreds maybe a thousand people saying it together,” he said.

Because while prayer can no longer be said over the loud speaker, the Oneida cheerleaders hope to make sure it's still heard loud and clear.

“It is your option what you do in that moment of silence and this is our option,” explained King.

Stone-cold Aggressor

13,250 Points
  • PvP 200
  • 50 Wins 150
Good for them for standing up for what they believe in.

Wintry Dragon

Will they go after their players if they did a Hail Mary play? xd

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
I would think prayer would fall under freedom of speech. Allowing students to lead in prayer should be perfectly acceptable in the public school system since it can be considered personal expression.
I like how they just glance over the fact that a school sponsored prayer is unconstitutional.

Tipsy Smoker

Shama_okami
I like how they just glance over the fact that a school sponsored prayer is unconstitutional.
Yes, the news source is christian biased.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
I have to say, it can be super uncomfortable to sit idly during those moments of prayer when you don't share the belief. Thanksgiving is so awkward. And if you try to abstain, everyone looks at you like you're some disrespectful scum of the Earth. But I'd bet good money that those same people wouldn't be able to sit through, say, a Muslim prayer.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
If they choose to do that before the game then so be it.

Dedicated Student

Shama_okami

How was it school sponsored? The school officials opted in for a moment of silence and it was the students who actually lead the prayer. They didn't even say it over the loud speaker. School officials aren't allowed to lead, but according to the article it wasn't even the school officials who did that.
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Shama_okami

How was it school sponsored? The school officials opted in for a moment of silence and it was the students who actually lead the prayer. They didn't even say it over the loud speaker. School officials aren't allowed to lead, but according to the article it wasn't even the school officials who did that.

The entire article, to me, takes the tone of 'good for them standing up against people trying to stamp out school prayer.' I have no problem with people who want to pray doing so, privately. But you aren't going to convince me it's something that needs to be done.

Tipsy Smoker

Ringoringa
I have to say, it can be super uncomfortable to sit idly during those moments of prayer when you don't share the belief. Thanksgiving is so awkward. And if you try to abstain, everyone looks at you like you're some disrespectful scum of the Earth. But I'd bet good money that those same people wouldn't be able to sit through, say, a Muslim prayer.
This is true.

Magnetic Phantom

Shama_okami
The entire article, to me, takes the tone of 'good for them standing up against people trying to stamp out school prayer.' I have no problem with people who want to pray doing so, privately. But you aren't going to convince me it's something that needs to be done.
I agree.
It's not okay to impose one's personal beliefs on everybody else, even when one happens to be in the majority.
That's just disrespectful.
What was wrong with having just that silent moment?

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Anjoulie
Shama_okami
I agree.
It's not okay to impose one's personal beliefs on everybody else, even when one happens to be in the majority.
That's just disrespectful.
What was wrong with having just that silent moment?

Because they're Christians and no one tells a Christian what to do without starting a fight.

I applaud the school for, begrudgingly, switching to a moment of silence. As do I applaud everyone who thought it was s**t that they "weren't allowed" to pray (which is totally bullshit, it just prevents the prayer from being spoken through the school's property, i.e. public/state shared property) and did so anyway. Now if someone starts harassing the people who don't pray Imma have to beat a few asses.

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Ringoringa
I have to say, it can be super uncomfortable to sit idly during those moments of prayer when you don't share the belief. Thanksgiving is so awkward. And if you try to abstain, everyone looks at you like you're some disrespectful scum of the Earth.

Doubly so if it's one of those "Everyone join hands and pray" ones and you're just like "Fuuuuuuuuck let me eeeeeeat".

Familiar Raccoon

12,200 Points
  • Super Fan 250
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Evolution Debut 250
Prayer certainly shouldn't be something that a public school is forcing; however, there also seems to be something wrong about preventing people from praying if they want to. If they could somehow make the period make that moment of silence/prayer something that allowed individuals to pray to whatever/whoever they wanted or, for those who aren't so much of a fan of the whole God thing, simply hope that their team will win, then I think that might be a way to compromise. I'm not sure the cheerleaders should be yelling out the Lord's Prayer (although that does not prohibit them from doing so quietly) is appropriate because they are representatives of the school, making it seem like something that everyone should be doing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff