Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A 30-year-old police officer on Hawaii's Big Island was arrested and placed on administrative leave after he hit with his car and killed a bicyclist visiting from Michigan

Hawaii Island police officer Jody Buddemeyer was arrested on suspicion of negligent homicide in connection with the death Sunday morning of Jeffrey Sunow, 63, of West Bloomfield, Michigan, according to West Hawaii Today, a newspaper in Kailua-Kona.

Buddemeyer, who was assigned to the South Kohala district, was released after his arrest. There is no telephone listing for him in Hawaii, and he could not be reached for comment Monday.

The bicyclist was found lying face down near a badly damaged bicycle on the shoulder of Waikoloa Road, authorities said.

Sunow died at the scene, first-responders said. He was declared dead at North Kohala Community Hospital, where the body was taken.

Buddemeyer reported the crash shortly before 6:30 a.m. Sunday, according to authorities.

The Office of Professional Standards is conducting an administrative investigation, which is standard after any fatal incident involving an officer, police said.

The eastbound lane of Waikoloa Road was closed for several hours following the collision.

The collision occurred on a notoriously dangerous stretch of the road, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported. A steep incline where the crash occurred follows a bend in the road.

"There's no curb," acting West Hawaii Fire Battalion Chief John Whitman said. "It's very unsafe if you're riding a bicycle."

The rising sun would likely have been in both men's eyes at the time, Whitman said.

this is why I don't want bikes on the street

Aged Hunter

Not surprised really. Here on the Big Island there are places with no sidewalks (if there is one it's broken to the point where walking on it is impossible) or the bike lanes are super small. Ont he way to the store here, the bike lane on the road I take to walk up there is only like 3 inches!

They really need to make better roads and wider areas for bike lanes and sidewalks.
Sounds crazy, I mean, I don't know much about the country but does anyone know like how the legal system and justice system works ? Would the officer be likely to get away with this or would he be convicted ?

Hilarious Puppy

Wait... his name was Jody? Huh. Can't really blame him for being butthurt all the time. I'd be mad if my name was a gender-biased name like... Jim. Any girls named Jim? No. Jody? (Commonly with an i in the states. Like Jodi.) Yes. But then again I don't know how Hawaiian names work. Jody might be the most common male name around there for all we know!

Wintry Dragon

Ember F Strife
Wait... his name was Jody? Huh. Can't really blame him for being butthurt all the time. I'd be mad if my name was a gender-biased name like... Jim. Any girls named Jim? No. Jody? (Commonly with an i in the states. Like Jodi.) Yes. But then again I don't know how Hawaiian names work. Jody might be the most common male name around there for all we know!
Maybe it was supposed to be Joe Dee or Joe D. Now the second may have some street cred. xd

Hilarious Puppy

A mali
Ember F Strife
Maybe it was supposed to be Joe Dee or Joe D. Now the second may have some street cred. xd

The bicyclist's name was Jeffrey Sunow. That's a pretty cool name. So Jody here killed him and tried to take it like some kind of Name Vampire. Hawaii. s**t goes down there. cat_rofl

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff