Welcome to Gaia! ::

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500
Oh my god, I can't believe they are trying to take away our guns. stressed You all know this is just the first step, they are trying to take away all our rights. Oh, and one more question... What kills people?
People kill people. If they take away our guns murderers will just turn to something else, like bombs or just the old fashion knife. scream

Yeah, but it's a lot harder to kill people with a knife.

The same day as the Newtown shooting, a man went into a Chinese Elementary school, and stabbed twenty-two children and one adult. None of them died.

And no one's trying to take away all your guns. Just assault rifles, and things like that. No one needs an assault rifle.

no one has an assault rifle, since they outlawed those back in 1986.

please, please research a subject before you speak about it.

My research was watching the news for the last year and a half, and seeing at least two separate massacres occur with an assault rifle. Newtown was with a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle, and Aurora was with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 semi-automatic rifle.

Fully-automatic assault rifles were outlawed back in 1986. Semi-automatics are the ones that were used in these shootings.

@Kanade61500: Yes, bombs are also dangerous, but they're already illegal, so there's not much more we can do regarding them specifically. I don't know what you expect me to address there. 'We should make illegal things even more illegal'?

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500
Oh my god, I can't believe they are trying to take away our guns. stressed You all know this is just the first step, they are trying to take away all our rights. Oh, and one more question... What kills people?
People kill people. If they take away our guns murderers will just turn to something else, like bombs or just the old fashion knife. scream

The same day as the Newtown shooting, a man went into a Chinese Elementary school, and stabbed twenty-two children and one adult. None of them died.

And no one's trying to take away all your guns. Just assault rifles, and things like that. No one needs an assault rifle.

Mmm...nope, a knife is just as easy to use, i can kill someone with a knife if i try to.
And do you know what an assault rifle is?
Please, explain specificly what attributes make something an assault rifle.

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Izzy Van Helsing
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500

My research was watching the news for the last year and a half, and seeing at least two separate massacres occur with an assault rifle. Newtown was with a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle, and Aurora was with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 semi-automatic rifle.

Fully-automatic assault rifles were outlawed back in 1986. Semi-automatics are the ones that were used in these shootings.

@Kanade61500: Yes, bombs are also dangerous, but they're already illegal, so there's not much more we can do regarding them specifically. I don't know what you expect me to address there. 'We should make illegal things even more illegal'?

Thing is, those arent assault rifles, they are just normal rifles, which the media incorrectly labels, and brainwashes unknowledgable people who are scared.

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Kanade61500
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500

Hahahahahahaha!!! god I hate people who think that they can take one trip to Wikipedia and think that they are the experts on it! "no one has an assault rifle, since they outlawed those back in 1986" and "please, please, research a subject before you speak about it"
Okay, 1, there has never been an assault rifle, it is just a made up word. Technically every rifle is an assault rifle. So how about you do your research before you talk about it!!! And the law you are referring to was made back in 1938 because criminal gangs misusing the weapons while during Prohibition.

You're not really the brightest huh?

Alien Dog

17,850 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Voter 100
  • Mark Twain 100
Izzy Van Helsing
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500

the very definition of assault rifle makes the term "semi-automatic assault rifle" a contradiction in terms.

an assault rifle, by definition, is a select-fire weapon. a select-fire weapon has a semi-automatic mode and a burst-fire or full automatic mode. if it lacks the burst fire or full-auto, then it is not an assault rifle, regardless of what it looks like.

so, no, neither the Newtown, nor Aurora Massacres were committed with assault rifles.

now, those weapons did fit into a nebulous political term of "assault weapons," but that is literally a made-up term with no set definition. it includes rifles, shotguns and handguns that meet certain criteria, as well as ones that don't meet certain criteria, but are mentioned by name in the various laws that have been passed to try and ban such weapons ( which, I might add, Newtown occurred in a state that already had such an Assault Weapon Ban, meaning that such a ban would not have prevented that incident on account of them already having such a ban and it did not prevent the incident ), but that category is best described as "guns that scare people," on account of there being no clear defining traits that make a weapon qualify, since the M1 Garand is classed as one, despite not having a detachable box magazine, not having a pistol grip, only having an 8-round maximum magazine capacity, not having a barrel shroud or folding stock, etc.

but, anyways, my point is you are confusing "assault rifle" with "assault weapon," despite the fact that the two terms describe very different weapons. it's pretty much like calling a VCR an Xbox 360 because they both hook up to TVs

Masterful Dabbler

12,075 Points
  • Master Converter 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Keltoi Samurai
Izzy Van Helsing
Kanade61500

the very definition of assault rifle makes the term "semi-automatic assault rifle" a contradiction in terms.

an assault rifle, by definition, is a select-fire weapon. a select-fire weapon has a semi-automatic mode and a burst-fire or full automatic mode. if it lacks the burst fire or full-auto, then it is not an assault rifle, regardless of what it looks like.

so, no, neither the Newtown, nor Aurora Massacres were committed with assault rifles.

now, those weapons did fit into a nebulous political term of "assault weapons," but that is literally a made-up term with no set definition. it includes rifles, shotguns and handguns that meet certain criteria, as well as ones that don't meet certain criteria, but are mentioned by name in the various laws that have been passed to try and ban such weapons ( which, I might add, Newtown occurred in a state that already had such an Assault Weapon Ban, meaning that such a ban would not have prevented that incident on account of them already having such a ban and it did not prevent the incident ), but that category is best described as "guns that scare people," on account of there being no clear defining traits that make a weapon qualify, since the M1 Garand is classed as one, despite not having a detachable box magazine, not having a pistol grip, only having an 8-round maximum magazine capacity, not having a barrel shroud or folding stock, etc.

but, anyways, my point is you are confusing "assault rifle" with "assault weapon," despite the fact that the two terms describe very different weapons. it's pretty much like calling a VCR an Xbox 360 because they both hook up to TVs

So true.

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
I like how we've all devolved into semantics rather than actually talking about the issue of gun control.

Pardon me if I don't know absolutely everything about rifles, but I'm Canadian, and we've had gun control as long as I've been alive, so I've never even seen a gun in person. All of my information comes from what I've studied throughout the years through various sources. It seems, at least according to the infromation here, that those sources were incorrect in certain details. My apologies.

Now let's all stop being definition-crazy, and actually discuss the issue, shall we?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff